Hiyah! New learning ASL from a friend

AmputeeOT

Reaction score
Hello! Intro post

I'm Christina, and I am here because I recently met someone who is Deaf, and we became fast friends and he is teaching me ASL so I can communicate with him better.

A little about me: I'm hearing but have mild sensorineural hearing loss in my left ear. I like doing Aerial Silks (an acrobat art where you climb on fabric in the air) learning new things, building stuff, fixing cars, meeting new people, playing with my dogs, and being active. I'm a left below knee amputee and I have sort of popular channel on Youtube where I make videos related to amputee stuff.

-Christina

:welcome: to alldeaf!
Here is my quick advice for you to start learn ABC fingerspelling, then learn sign language words like when, where, why, what, how, who, and so on.

Enjoy!

:welcome: to alldeaf!
Here is my quick advice for you to start learn ABC fingerspelling, then learn sign language words like when, where, why, what, how, who, and so on.

Enjoy!

Thanks! That's a good tip. I taught myself fingerspelling the night after I met him, and now we hang out like... honestly almost every day.

The first day we met, we used our phones to talk because I didn't even know how to fingerspell and knew only about 10 words (holdover from when I taught children with communication impairments at a grade school) The second time we spent time together, we used our phones only a little, and by the third time we weren't using them at all. We've been hanging out about three weeks. On the days I don't see him, I self-study Bill Vicars videos, or read books on ASL grammar, etc.

Thanks! That's a good tip. I taught myself fingerspelling the night after I met him, and now we hang out like... honestly almost every day.

The first day we met, we used our phones to talk because I didn't even know how to fingerspell and knew only about 10 words (holdover from when I taught children with communication impairments at a grade school) The second time we spent time together, we used our phones only a little, and by the third time we weren't using them at all. We've been hanging out about three weeks. On the days I don't see him, I self-study Bill Vicars videos, or read books on ASL grammar, etc.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. What kind of phone he was using? Was he using TDD (TTY) relay service to talk with you or did he have special volume for him to hear you talk if he can managed to pick the words which you speak to him?

Hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. What kind of phone he was using? Was he using TDD (TTY) relay service to talk with you or did he have special volume for him to hear you talk if he can managed to pick the words which you speak to him?

Hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

We were using the notepad feature on our smartphones to type out our conversation.

Welcome to AD. Watched a few of your YT videos, pretty cool, I like your introduction on the videos.

Welcome, fascinating hobby with the acrobat art. enjoy learning ASL

Hello! Intro post

I'm Christina, and I am here because I recently met someone who is Deaf, and we became fast friends and he is teaching me ASL so I can communicate with him better.

A little about me: I'm hearing but have mild sensorineural hearing loss in my left ear. I like doing Aerial Silks (an acrobat art where you climb on fabric in the air) learning new things, building stuff, fixing cars, meeting new people, playing with my dogs, and being active. I'm a left below knee amputee and I have sort of popular channel on Youtube where I make videos related to amputee stuff.

-Christina

I just happened to notice that you said that you are hearing but you have mild hearing loss so that mean you are hard of hearing if you have only one right ear to hear and left ear for mild hearing loss. Anyway, you are hard of hearing (HOH). Just wondering if you are wearing hearing aid or not. How long ago did you lose your hearing?

As for being amputee, are you adjusting and accepting your disability better than your hearing? You can get use to your hearing loss, too. :hmm:

Back