Hi y’all.

Thanks Heavy. I had gathered by profile picture that you were in a rig. It is nice to meet you.
That was a little stunt put on east of Fort Bridger Wyoming in the springtime. News paper, coffee and a meal etc. Truck was under Cruise and I was following the rig in the right mirror. Took a little bit of doing to get that because we needed nothing to be around us for that shot. Its a little too bad they quit making those centuries with the 515 Detriot 1750 and meritor automatic that was really good for the rockies that year. We put 210,000 miles on it as a team in 9 months. All we had to do to it is reboot bricked transmission twice and feed it two alternators along with a fresh set of 10 virgin michelins in October prior to winter ice. Steers were yokos, but we found a failed sidewall and switched to Bridgestone with FFE that year. If I remember right we had 8 pallets of bonded cherries picked up in Nevada DOT site and it was a really big deal with those very expensive cherries. Getting them that far north was something else to run for Chicago east.

I wrapped it up after eye surgery in 2010, my first of two. That was a important year, if they were not able to fix the eyesight I probably would not be still among us here. Ive got too much of other things going on to not worry about going back out there, in any case the overregulation (Back seat driving) by dispatch, DOT and computers, robots etc... has taken the freedom and joy from the industry for me.

It was good to meet you too, I think you are one of very few HOH, Deaf or other situation that did work on the big road out there with trucking in my lifetime.

That was a little stunt put on east of Fort Bridger Wyoming in the springtime. News paper, coffee and a meal etc. Truck was under Cruise and I was following the rig in the right mirror. Took a little bit of doing to get that because we needed nothing to be around us for that shot. Its a little too bad they quit making those centuries with the 515 Detriot 1750 and meritor automatic that was really good for the rockies that year. We put 210,000 miles on it as a team in 9 months. All we had to do to it is reboot bricked transmission twice and feed it two alternators along with a fresh set of 10 virgin michelins in October prior to winter ice. Steers were yokos, but we found a failed sidewall and switched to Bridgestone with FFE that year. If I remember right we had 8 pallets of bonded cherries picked up in Nevada DOT site and it was a really big deal with those very expensive cherries. Getting them that far north was something else to run for Chicago east.

I wrapped it up after eye surgery in 2010, my first of two. That was a important year, if they were not able to fix the eyesight I probably would not be still among us here. Ive got too much of other things going on to not worry about going back out there, in any case the overregulation (Back seat driving) by dispatch, DOT and computers, robots etc... has taken the freedom and joy from the industry for me.

It was good to meet you too, I think you are one of very few HOH, Deaf or other situation that did work on the big road out there with trucking in my lifetime.
Wow you’ve definitely had some experiences!
I am (hoh) however it’s gotten progressively worse.
I was fortunate to have driven OTR for the time I did. There was a part of me that liked driving- but then again it was tough at times. What made it difficult for me, was that in my experience- there was not a whole lot of respect given to female drivers. Especially younger ones. I can remember being at the Petro in Beaumont with my trainer and the gal at the counter refused me a shower- she said “we don’t have showers for your kind“ and being the ditzy blonde I am, I totally did not realize what she was inferring. I thought she meant because I was still a student driver. (I was still doing my phase 2) Finally my trainer stepped in and got involved, and after she a very long conversation with store management not only did I get an apology and a shower credit, but I got six months of free shower credits!! (Hahahaha) and that whole situation could’ve been avoided had she looked at my student lanyard which was hanging very clearly around my neck- Instead she just assumed and well we all know what happens when people assume. LOL.

Wow you’ve definitely had some experiences!
I am (hoh) however it’s gotten progressively worse.
I was fortunate to have driven OTR for the time I did. There was a part of me that liked driving- but then again it was tough at times. What made it difficult for me, was that in my experience- there was not a whole lot of respect given to female drivers. Especially younger ones. I can remember being at the Petro in Beaumont with my trainer and the gal at the counter refused me a shower- she said “we don’t have showers for your kind“ and being the ditzy blonde I am, I totally did not realize what she was inferring. I thought she meant because I was still a student driver. (I was still doing my phase 2) Finally my trainer stepped in and got involved, and after she a very long conversation with store management not only did I get an apology and a shower credit, but I got six months of free shower credits!! (Hahahaha) and that whole situation could’ve been avoided had she looked at my student lanyard which was hanging very clearly around my neck- Instead she just assumed and well we all know what happens when people assume. LOL.
If it is the Baytown TA I have in mind then back in the day there was activity of that nature. First females and later what I call beta males seeking a deviant experience. That created more problems than its worth back then.

My ex was a Marine and it fell to me to train her and within two weeks with the help of the new Rockwell Automatic in a virgin tractor she was able to function as a full team and run the rockies on ice etc her first winter. I had to find her weaknesses and then work on them. Its a stressful time because there was the office up front as you know and the house (Sleeper) in the back. Not everyone treated her well.

One day in Jackson TN at the TA there off I-40 I had specifically left instructions not to fuel or park there. (We would do it only with me outside and her in sleeper out of sight the threat level was relatively high due to Memphis not far away) Anyway I was asleep. (Not for long) she had pulled in, got fuel paid and was stalked by a sexual predator with rape on his mind. As soon she jumped into the cab followed by the very heavy male leaning the thing under my bunk I was awake and reached for a blade for his neck as he fought to get across the drivers seat to get at my ex who had made a defensive ball under the Passenger seat. Fortunately for us he took off running. Unfortunately he got away. But I think that day he got to live but at the same time that kind of trash needed to be jailed. So... mixed results of that day.

We never stopped there again and later hauling blood plasma and high dollar medicines (Narcotics, Cancer drugs etc) out of Memphis changes the situation a little bit. The Plasma was easier going from LA to NJ (Avenel, about 3100 miles twice weekly every 6 days)

There were some staff who treated her badly back in the day and I would have had to step on them and show that we were man and wife and both were full CDL drivers and entitled to a little consideration and service. The managers usually bent over backwards to make things right. Key word usually. Some stops they could not be bothered and so lost our business which was substantial in those days. (About 2000 per week in fuel for example if not more...)

Her health declined due to bad nutrition and doctor told her to stop it with the trucking or gain additional medical issues that will be sure to take her DOT medical away. So even though she had a year with me what a year it was. It was not all roses mind you. Once is quite enough.

Omigoshhh Heavy that’s so scary!
If it is the Baytown TA I have in mind then back in the day there was activity of that nature. First females and later what I call beta males seeking a deviant experience. That created more problems than its worth back then.

My ex was a Marine and it fell to me to train her and within two weeks with the help of the new Rockwell Automatic in a virgin tractor she was able to function as a full team and run the rockies on ice etc her first winter. I had to find her weaknesses and then work on them. Its a stressful time because there was the office up front as you know and the house (Sleeper) in the back. Not everyone treated her well.

One day in Jackson TN at the TA there off I-40 I had specifically left instructions not to fuel or park there. (We would do it only with me outside and her in sleeper out of sight the threat level was relatively high due to Memphis not far away) Anyway I was asleep. (Not for long) she had pulled in, got fuel paid and was stalked by a sexual predator with rape on his mind. As soon she jumped into the cab followed by the very heavy male leaning the thing under my bunk I was awake and reached for a blade for his neck as he fought to get across the drivers seat to get at my ex who had made a defensive ball under the Passenger seat. Fortunately for us he took off running. Unfortunately he got away. But I think that day he got to live but at the same time that kind of trash needed to be jailed. So... mixed results of that day.

We never stopped there again and later hauling blood plasma and high dollar medicines (Narcotics, Cancer drugs etc) out of Memphis changes the situation a little bit. The Plasma was easier going from LA to NJ (Avenel, about 3100 miles twice weekly every 6 days)

There were some staff who treated her badly back in the day and I would have had to step on them and show that we were man and wife and both were full CDL drivers and entitled to a little consideration and service. The managers usually bent over backwards to make things right. Key word usually. Some stops they could not be bothered and so lost our business which was substantial in those days. (About 2000 per week in fuel for example if not more...)

Her health declined due to bad nutrition and doctor told her to stop it with the trucking or gain additional medical issues that will be sure to take her DOT medical away. So even though she had a year with me what a year it was. It was not all roses mind you. Once is quite enough.
Omigoshhh Heavy how awful. I’m so glad you were quick thinking and there to protect her.

funny story… My parents drove team and so being schooled I experienced and witnessed a lot.. Long story short it was quite boring for me. But I can remember one night we pulled in to a truckstop and mama pulled the curtains to have me get ready for bed changing of PJs etc. and I hear a knock at the window. Well my daddy was telling the person on the other side of the window “all right darlin’ all right darlin’ do you promise me you’re going to come back at such and such time”... etc. meanwhile my mama had her finger up to her mouth as if to tell me to be very very quiet. Next thing I know I’m in the top bunk and I can’t fall asleep because I think somebody’s going to come back and visit and I’m gonna have somebody to play with – I must’ve fallen asleep because the next thing I remember was hearing a knock at the window yet again and my mom reaching through the curtain and telling the person on the other side “ thanks for the wake up call darling have a great day“ and the response on the other side of the window from the outside of the truck was lots of screaming and what sounded like pounding on the door and some pretty vulgar language. Meanwhile my mama and daddy were both laughing. It was not until I became an adult, and driver myself , that I understood what had taken place. They had used a lot lizard for an alarm clock!

That was a great story and using someone for a purpose.

I used to get my wake up calls when a lumper hammers on my sleeper about a foot from the pillow. "HEY YOU NEED A LUMPER!?" And good morning to you too (Profanity)

NO.

=) We used to get a variety of situations develop from there. Some good, some bad. In certain places like Memphis Truckstops (Which are particularly dirty) I would have a wet paper towel sheet down between the fuel tank and the step under the drivers door. NO one bothers me at that night or day's rest for obvious reasons. We used to have lizards come around every 20 minutes lapping the entire lot of a few hundred trucks. I learned never to sleep in Memphis again. Its just way too dangerous there. It was way better down along Thames Street or perhaps Sandtown in Baltimore downtown with all the other trucks waiting to load. However that city is considered a failed city as well and the risk of violence and death etc is just not worth delivering there anymore. If the Dispatch asked nicely or put on a plum run after etc or some other juicy favor I'll do it because I am very familiar with that old place.

Back