Hi there ! New to this site =) looking for friends

imaqt

Reaction score
:wave: Hi!

I'm learning ASL at my university and I LOVE it, and I really love everything about Deaf culture. I've decided that I want to become an interpreter, so I am switching my current major 3rd year (yessss, I do wish I figured this out sooner =P) and I'm entering a deaf studies program next year.

I'd really love to make more friends in the deaf community. Please msg me if you're interested.

I'm very upbeat, fun, intelligent, open-minded, nice, understanding, etc. and I have lots of interests, so I'm sure we could find something in common!

Well... you like sign language! I think everybody loves sign language here lol

:welcome:

Well... you like sign language! I think everybody loves sign language here lol

:welcome:

haha yeah you're right! sorry for pointing out the obvious. I'm hearing though, so I was just trying to say that I might be a little different from the majority of the ppl on this website, but what unifies us is a love for sign and Deaf culture. Just giving a little background info =)

haha yeah you're right! sorry for pointing out the obvious. I'm hearing though, so I was just trying to say that I might be a little different from the majority of the ppl on this website, but what unifies us is a love for sign and Deaf culture. Just giving a little background info =)

Hi, and welcome to AD. Yeah, there are a number of similarly like-minded folks here like yourself so enjoy.......

I also wants to learn ASL But is it easy to learn???I am quite confused about it..

Hi there! thanks for posting =) . Where do you live?
ASL is a very beautiful language and I definitely recommend learning it. I never had much luck with spoken languages (bc I was pretty shy when I was younger), so I thought I might also struggle with sign but it's actually easier for me to express myself. The difficulty will really depend on what level you want to get to in sign. I want to go into an interpreter program and I know that's going to really be a challenge and I'm doing things now to improve my dexterity, understanding of the syntax etc. If you're just using it for fun or to communicate with someone who know who is deaf you will have no problem! I've spent hours with my friend who is deaf and we have no trouble communicating and he's just happy I'm making an effort to learn.

May as well give it a shot, but remember to practice, practice, practice!

I think the flow of the language can be tricky. ASL doesn't have the same sort of pauses we have in English to separate topics etc. My teacher gets confused when we pause.

Also, in hearing culture a lot of people nod that they understand things when they actually don't ( if you're nodding at the computer but have no idea what i mean, you may be one of these ppl). I think Deaf culture is much more straight forward/ blunt. So if you don't understand something point it, or it might look like you're fibbing!

Hi, and welcome to AD. Yeah, there are a number of similarly like-minded folks here like yourself so enjoy.......

haha thanks Tousi! Seems like you're guiding me through my first couple days on this website :ty:

Hi there! thanks for posting =) . Where do you live?
ASL is a very beautiful language and I definitely recommend learning it. I never had much luck with spoken languages (bc I was pretty shy when I was younger), so I thought I might also struggle with sign but it's actually easier for me to express myself. The difficulty will really depend on what level you want to get to in sign. I want to go into an interpreter program and I know that's going to really be a challenge and I'm doing things now to improve my dexterity, understanding of the syntax etc. If you're just using it for fun or to communicate with someone who know who is deaf you will have no problem! I've spent hours with my friend who is deaf and we have no trouble communicating and he's just happy I'm making an effort to learn.

May as well give it a shot, but remember to practice, practice, practice!

I think the flow of the language can be tricky. ASL doesn't have the same sort of pauses we have in English to separate topics etc. My teacher gets confused when we pause.

Also, in hearing culture a lot of people nod that they understand things when they actually don't ( if you're nodding at the computer but have no idea what i mean, you may be one of these ppl). I think Deaf culture is much more straight forward/ blunt. So if you don't understand something point it, or it might look like you're fibbing!

About the pauses, nodding, etc, please know this:ASL, as opposed to other sign methodologies, is a true, stand alone language onto itself and definitely separate from English as to grammar, etc......

About the pauses, nodding, etc, please know this:ASL, as opposed to other sign methodologies, is a true, stand alone language onto itself and definitely separate from English as to grammar, etc......

Thanks! I know that. I was referring more to cultural differences in communication, not the actual composition of the language itself.

spam!!!!!!!!!

Bott, you are right that he is advertising the pillow or downs to sell. He or she is not interest in the deaf forum. Just want to sell. It is too bad that Imaqt had to tell Shopdownlite about ASL. We get fool like that when we see that kind of comment from a newcomer. :hmm: It is totally spam. No advertising here on AD.

Anyway, :welcome: to AllDeaf, Imaqt. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back