Hi, people!

Amy Jo

Reaction score
I'm just looking around here to see what I can find in regards to deaf people who reside in Maryville. I would like to get to know some people, and learn about what I would need to have to be able to make my own phone calls (without having to resort to texts) and where I can find the things that I would need.

I also would like to get more information on activities and where to look online for that. I've looked and looked and I have barely found anything.

Please feel free to contact me, if anyone is willing to help me with the aforementioned.

My name is Amy Jo Buchanan, and my phone number is 865 603 2173, if anyone wants to text me with any information. Anything would help!

Thank you very much!

Welcome :wave:

Do you sign? If so, you can use video relay service (VRS) for phone calls - its a free, government-funded service. I use Sorenson (https://www.sorenson.com/).

My loss was progressive. I started with amplified phones. When those no longer worked I tried captioned phones like Captel (https://www.captel.com/). Those the captions were always so delayed that it was hard to have a conversation - long, long pauses waiting for the captions to catch up. There are some for cellphone like Innocaptions. I didn't like that either but many here use that service. My experience was the same delays and there often wasn't an operator available when I needed to make a call - maybe because of my rural location???

VRS has been the most reliable and real-time conversation for phone calls for me.

Other may have other suggestions.

Hi! I appreciate the response.
I have been completely deaf since 6 months of age. May I ask how to get the necessary equipment to be able to use this video relay service? Please keep in mind that I don't have anything other than my phone, which I am using to access this site! ‍♀️
Would you please send me more information on how to get the video relay service?
Thank you, I appreciate your reply!

Oh, I forgot to add this :
To answer your question, yes! I do sign, but I am not very skilled in ASL. I have always used English, or maybe CASE would be a more accurate description of the sign language in which I use and am able to understand. Thanks again!

If you go to the Sorenson site (https://www.sorenson.com/), in the upper right corner there is a button: Sign up for Relay.

There are a few options and you can choose any or all of them. You can use the mobile app (NTouch) from a cellphone or tablet. There is NTouchPC to use with a computer/laptop. There is unit that can connect to your television to use that screen for the video. They also have free standing units that come with their own monitor. They provide the equipment as long as you have internet service for the non-phone options. They put in-home installations on hold for awhile. I don't know if they are doing them again. If not, you in-home options may be more limited but having on your phone or tablet is helpful and you can do that installation yourself.

You do not need to be perfectly fluent in ASL. The interpreter skills vary but nearly all can/should understand Signed English. Skilled interpreters should know to adapt to the signer's mode of communication. You also have the option to use your own voice (VCO: voice call over) if you prefer that then you can focus on building your receptive skills to get the response even if your expressive skills aren't great.

Back