Hi my name is Chris. Austin, TX.

christyra

Reaction score
How's it going everyone? My name is Chris I'm 25 years old. I was born hearing. I joined the Army after I graduated high school. I was deployed last year and after a mortar round explode near me I lost 100% hearing in my left ear and some in my right ear.
I am currently still in the Army but I am being medically retired because of my hearing loss. I was pretty depressed about the whole situation but family, friends and time has helped a lot.
I will be going back to college full time when my medical discharge is complete. I'm going to really miss the military but excited to start next chapter of my life and all goes well I will be able to do well in my pre-requisite courses and get into medical school (fingers crossed).
I just started learning ASL.. I think I'm picking it up well.. Trying to stay positive.
Well anyways really excited to get to know you guys and learn as much as possible. Hit me up anytime.
-Chris

Hello. I already welcomed you in what I thought was your intro. :wave:

Hi Chris, and thanks for serving for our country.

Welcome to AD.

I'm glad you are learning ASL. It is awesome. :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Wow, that is terrible that you had the mortar being so close and you had to lose your hearings. I am really sorry that it happened. Now that you are late deafend. Keep up with sign language like ASL. You will learn a lot about our experiences in the d/Deaf world that we had struggled and trying to understand the hearing people in the hearing world. Not easy, mind you. So hope you can stay and have fun with us. Just read and post all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Its great to have you here and welcome. Austin has a thriving deaf community. You will be able to find lots of socials, meet ups and coffees to meet other deaf and late deafened folks. It is helpful to socialize with other deaf/hoh while learning ASL. Bless you and Thank You for your strength and courage while serving USA.

Thank you all so much I am truly excited to meet others, I do not know any other deaf/hoh people.. So I have a hard time caring when people tell me sorry for my loss and they don't know what it's like.
For the most part ASL is hard but I hope to be able to get it.
Any advice on anything please help me out. Anything at all.
Thank you all again.

Hello, Chris and, indeed, thank you very much for your service to our country, Sir!

i live in Austin and like others say, there are many deaf people here. It takes a while to pick up ASL and it's awesome you have the support of your friends and family.

What about cochlear implants? The sooner you get it, the better you'll hear with it.

Wirelessly posted

Hi Chris... I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for serving our country and I'm sorry for what has happened. Though I'm sure God will lead you in the right path and hope you get in med school. Keep your motivation up with learning ASL! =D

Kasey

Hey Chris, I live in your neck of the woods. I live in Bee Cave Texas, 10 mins from downtown Austin. Look foward to hearing from ya.

:welcome: to the board, Chris!

Thank you for serving for our country. :)

Hi Chris! I also would like to thank you for serving our country. I think it is awesome that you want to continue your schooling. I also think it is awesome you are learning ASL. I too am currently learning ASL. Although it can be challenging but it is very rewarding and you will become excited about it. You are to commend yourself for all you have done and for your strength in facing this challenge. Hope all is well.

Happy late Veterans Day, Chris!

Back