Hi lets sing happy birthday to Foxrac!

SilverRoxy

Deaf/ASL user
Premium Member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday to you!! Happy Birthday to you!! Happy Birthday Dear Morgan aka Foxrac! Happy Birthday to yooouu!!

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Batman smells and Robin laid an egg and many more!! :)

Happy Birthday!!

Hello to AD members,

Thank you for celebrate my birthday.

I can't believe about how fast is time flies. I just hit 30 mark. I was busy with Christmas shopping and went to ate lunch and dinner at restaurants. I didn't realize that Joe's Crab Shack closed permanently due to bankruptcy, so I found one is local seafood, so no worries.

Interesting, I got 1987 book and learned that Minnesota Twins won the World Series in 1987.

Happy Birthday, Sorry to inform you it keeps going by faster and faster.
Other things that happened in 1987: Reagan made his "Mr, Gorbachev, Take down this wall" speech, The stock market went down over 500 points one day in October, The Atari 7800 sold for $79.99, The worlds population topped 5 billion, a Supernova was visible with the naked eye for the first time since the 1600's and the Simpsons were seen for the first time on TV. In addition to the Twins winning the World Series, the Giants won the Super Bowl, the Edmonton Oilers won the Stanley Cup and the Lakers won in the NBA. Once again from one Sagittarian to another Happy Birthday and many more!

Last edited:
Happy Birthday, Foxrac!

I cannot believe you are STILL the youngster here. ;)

Happy Birthday, Sorry to inform you it keeps going by faster and faster.
Other things that happened in 1987: Reagan made his "Mr, Gorbachev, Take down this wall" speech, The stock market went down over 500 points one day in October, The Atari 7800 sold for $79.99, The worlds population topped 5 billion, a Supernova was visible with the naked eye for the first time since the 1600's and the Simpsons were seen for the first time on TV. In addition to the Twins winning the World Series, the Giants won the Super Bowl, the Edmonton Oilers won the Stanley Cup and the Lakers won in the NBA. Once again from one Sagittarian to another Happy Birthday and many more!

Thanks, man.

Yes, I do remember that businesses used to existed in Alabama in 1987 disappeared or became much less eventually, especially Zayre, Grandy's, 7 Eleven, Quincy's, Gulf, Union 76, Sunoco, Philips 66, Circuit City, Mrs. Winner's, Shoney's, Denny's, Bruno's (local grocery), Food World (local grocery), Kmart and Steak and Ale.

Sunoco and Gulf returns to Alabama after left in early 90s. Denny's and Shoney's do existed but much less common than in 90s. No word about 7-11, however they reopened in South Carolina so it is possible to reopen in Georgia before spread to Alabama. Last 7-11 left Alabama in 1988 or 1989.

Thanks, man.

Yes, I do remember that businesses used to existed in Alabama in 1987 disappeared or became much less eventually, especially Zayre, Grandy's, 7 Eleven, Quincy's, Gulf, Union 76, Sunoco, Philips 66, Circuit City, Mrs. Winner's, Shoney's, Denny's, Bruno's (local grocery), Food World (local grocery), Kmart and Steak and Ale.

Sunoco and Gulf returns to Alabama after left in early 90s. Denny's and Shoney's do existed but much less common than in 90s. No word about 7-11, however they reopened in South Carolina so it is possible to reopen in Georgia before spread to Alabama. Last 7-11 left Alabama in 1988 or 1989.
You probably lost your 7/11 stores due to the debt incurred by the Thomson family who ran the Southland Corp, when they tried to take the company private in the mid 1980's to stop a hostile takeover. However, their timing wasn't good and the Stock market crash on Oct 19, 1987, forced the family to sell off the Chief Auto parts stores, their ice division and close hundreds of their 7 eleven stores. All the downsizing and liquidating didn't help because they ended up filing for bankruptcy in Oct 1990, and 70% of the co. went to the Ito Yakado Co. of Japan, who still own them today.

I'm a little late to the party, sorry! Things have been crazy with the holidays...

Happy birthday, Foxrac!!! <3

You probably lost your 7/11 stores due to the debt incurred by the Thomson family who ran the Southland Corp, when they tried to take the company private in the mid 1980's to stop a hostile takeover. However, their timing wasn't good and the Stock market crash on Oct 19, 1987, forced the family to sell off the Chief Auto parts stores, their ice division and close hundreds of their 7 eleven stores. All the downsizing and liquidating didn't help because they ended up filing for bankruptcy in Oct 1990, and 70% of the co. went to the Ito Yakado Co. of Japan, who still own them today.

Yes, in 1988, 7-11 sold nearly 500 stores to Circle K in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Louisiana and Arkansas.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/09/why_are_there_no_7-elevens_in.html

Now, 7-11 reopened in South Carolina recently and non-compete clause seems expired about years ago, also Circle K filed for bankruptcy in 1990 so most converted 7-11 to Circle K closed down during bankruptcy.

Do you remember about Gulf and Union 76 (formerly Pure) used to be in 50 states in the past?

Foxrac, I miss your unique avatar.

Yes, in 1988, 7-11 sold nearly 500 stores to Circle K in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Louisiana and Arkansas.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/09/why_are_there_no_7-elevens_in.html

Now, 7-11 reopened in South Carolina recently and non-compete clause seems expired about years ago, also Circle K filed for bankruptcy in 1990 so most converted 7-11 to Circle K closed down during bankruptcy.

Do you remember about Gulf and Union 76 (formerly Pure) used to be in 50 states in the past?
Yes, I remember both of them, in CA, Union 76 is still around, Gulf oil was merged or bought out by Standard Oil of CA in the mid 80's. We even had Esso gas at one time which had "Put a Tiger in your Tank as their slogan which then became Exxon, which then became Exxon Mobil and now all you see are Mobil on the stations. Another that has pretty much disappeared is Texaco which used to offer yearly toy trucks around the holidays and used to be everywhere until they merged with Chevron in the early or mid 2000's and the texaco name was replaced by the Chevron name, although a friend has told me he's seen a couple Texaco gas stations in the Bay Area. In CA 7 Elevens can be found about one mile apart or less and we still have Circle K's although they aren't as prevalent as 7 Elevens.

Yes, I remember both of them, in CA, Union 76 is still around, Gulf oil was merged or bought out by Standard Oil of CA in the mid 80's. We even had Esso gas at one time which had "Put a Tiger in your Tank as their slogan which then became Exxon, which then became Exxon Mobil and now all you see are Mobil on the stations. Another that has pretty much disappeared is Texaco which used to offer yearly toy trucks around the holidays and used to be everywhere until they merged with Chevron in the early or mid 2000's and the texaco name was replaced by the Chevron name, although a friend has told me he's seen a couple Texaco gas stations in the Bay Area. In CA 7 Elevens can be found about one mile apart or less and we still have Circle K's although they aren't as prevalent as 7 Elevens.

Yes, in midwestern and southern states, Gulf sold all stations to Chevron and BP in 1990, eventually Gulf was receded to northeastern states until 2010, so they popping again in central and eastern part of State. I just saw Gulf in Georgia this year, so I hadn't seen for 27 years. For Union 76, they are returning to east coast nowadays and they opened new stations in Georgia. Last Union 76 left southeastern states in 1995 due to phaseout that agreement with new owner in 1992. Back in 1970s to early 1990s, you can basically find Union 76 in almost 50 states, but dropped to 6 states by mid 2000s. Now, Philips 66 own 76 nowadays. Philips 66 and Sunoco used to be very common in southern states until early 1990s, eventually left, but Sunoco came back. There are plenty of Texaco in here, but not many as before Chevron bought Texaco.

My parents and grandparents do remember about Esso and Enco.

In here, we have plenty of Circle K but less than in 1990 before Circle K filed for bankruptcy, also you cannot find standalone Circle K without gas anymore.

I haven't seen a Phillips 66 station in CA in years. Another station that went away was the Star and bar, which I think was owned by Texaco. We have some Circle K's with and some without gas stations. We also have some 7 Elevens that have gas stations. I don't know about the Southeast, but here in the west we also have a lot of independent stations such as Rotten Robbies and Moe's as well as many others.

Back