Hi, I don't know anyone who is like me

You might also look up SHHH. Self Help for the Hard of Hearing. Used to know people in that national
Org. When you see your dr yell all the time so she will look into HAs

It's not called that anymore. It is now Hearing Loss Association of America.

Hearing Loss Association of America - Formerly Self Help for Hard of Hearing People - National Organization for Deaf and Hard of Hearing

OP, HoH people are a group themselves, but are not identified as a community.

It's not easy for us, but we are up to the challenge.

Sacramento deaf and hoh resource

Hi,

My name is Brittney and I am 32 years old...I have been learning ASL for the last few years; but since I don't know anyone who is HH or Deaf, I don't ever get to practice it with other people.

Brittany, I started losing my hearing in my 30s, about the same age you are now. I am happy for you that you have been able to get fitted with HAs. They have improved so much in the past couple of decades.
I noticed you are in Sacramento, California. We lived in Modesto, CA for over twenty years. (We travel now.) Are you familiar with the California State University Sacramento? Dr. William Vicars is the Coordinator of the CSUS Deaf Studies program where he currently teaches as a full-time tenured Associate Professor. He has a website, • ASL • American Sign Language, dedicated to teach ASL. I am sure he can get you in touch with several deaf and hoh people in your area so you can practice your ASL.
I personally have found everyone to be very accommodating to me as an ASL learner. I have gone up to random people in shopping malls and restaurants when I see them signing and interrupted conversations just to practice for a few moments! Never have I been turned down and everyone has been delighted that I am learning ASL. Although I have learned a lot, I have a long way to go.

Hey Brittne. My name is Kari I'm 22 I will be 23 in a few days
I am hard of hear I was born with lost of hearing.
I don't have friend that know how I feel and I
feel lost at time.

Tell them to slow down if theyre signing fast. Deaf people are really understanding and love when people communicate with them in their own language. Most if not all deafies have patience, they do joke about how SEE is subpar but would put up with it. The only way to get better with ASL is to immerse yourself in the community and practice at home.

Im HOH but I hear well with hearing aids and my vocal communication is clear, albeit with a slight accent. So I was put in school with deafies but "mainstreamed" with hearing kids. So I abandoned signing at about 6th grade. Now that Im an adult, I met a deaf man at work, we became friends, my signing sucked hardcore but he had patience to teach me. He started inviting me to his home and to hangout with him and his friends, they all had patience with my SEE signing. Over time his friends became mine and my ASL has improved.

Brittany, I started losing my hearing in my 30s, about the same age you are now. Are you familiar with the California State University Sacramento? Dr. William Vicars is the Coordinator of the CSUS Deaf Studies program where he currently teaches as a full-time tenured Associate Professor. .

Hi,nice to meet you Razzette. I am a teacher and a student at Sac State. I have been there for four years and am starting the English MA program there. I have never met William Vicars, but I do know Sandra Thrapp who is a teacher in that dept. She has always been very helpful. I will introduce myself to William. Are you friends with him?

Hey Brittne. My name is Kari I'm 22 I will be 23 in a few days
I am hard of hear I was born with lost of hearing.
I don't have friend that know how I feel and I
feel lost at time.

Hi Kari,
You don't have any deaf or hoh friends? Did you go to a mainstream school then? Now that I have hearing loss, and know how it feels to not have other friends who are like me, I wonder about kids who are hoh and mainstream schooling vs school for deaf. I'm sure its a personal choice for each person. As I read older threads on this forum, I see everyone has their own feelings about it. I think it would have been very hard for me in my teens, and even early 20's, to deal with being lonely in my situation. Its hard for me now in my early 30's, but I know it would have been a lot harder in my youth. What state do you live in Kari? Do you know ASL? I am learning. I use terps in my classes now instead of RtC, which forces me to learn quickly. I hope it helps me meet other people like myself :)

I still hear in one on one and small group settings well enough to be fine and use lip reading for the most part. But in large groups, class, meetings, or resturants and places like that, forget it! I'm lost! Thats when I use terps. Now I use them 2 days a week in the classes I take, and I use an RTC two days a week in the classes I teach.

Hey britt. No I don't not have No that is like me
But my sister in law is the some way but I don't have
Friend like me and I did not go to a deaf school
I do not know asl yet bu I want to know how to
I don't know what rtc is. And I live in Il where do u
Live. It's head to to be a kid even in my 20
Being head of heiring.

Hey britt. No I don't not have No that is like me
But my sister in law is the some way but I don't have
Friend like me and I did not go to a deaf school
I do not know asl yet bu I want to know how to
I don't know what rtc is. And I live in Il where do u
Live. It's head to to be a kid even in my 20
Being head of heiring.

Do you live in the US?

Yea I live in Illinois USA what what u

Not to pry...but if you were mainstreamed and did not go to deaf school and don't know ASL is there a reason why you sort of write in ASL? I've noticed in some posts you spell ok and some posts you write the same word and spell it wrong...?

Not to pry...but if you were mainstreamed and did not go to deaf school and don't know ASL is there a reason why you sort of write in ASL? I've noticed in some posts you spell ok and some posts you write the same word and spell it wrong...?

I have I spelling thing and I don't what u mean by don't know asl is there a reason why you sort of write in ask? And no my mom and dad did not want me to go the a deaf school.

lovezebras, it's not just a Sign thing...Many oral kids may have odd expressive written language, even if they were mainstreamed. That is either b/c they may have fallen through the cracks, (as they may only have gotten a "resource room style" special ed....that's basicly One Room Schoolhouse with very little instruction specificly for dhh or other low incidence kids) or they don't have full access to English. Just b/c a dhh kid has access to English, it doesn't mean that they have a sophiscated grasp on it.

lovezebras, it's not just a Sign thing...Many oral kids may have odd expressive written language, even if they were mainstreamed. That is either b/c they may have fallen through the cracks, (as they may only have gotten a "resource room style" special ed....that's basicly One Room Schoolhouse with very little instruction specificly for dhh or other low incidence kids) or they don't have full access to English. Just b/c a dhh kid has access to English, it doesn't mean that they have a sophiscated grasp on it.

I totally get that... a lot of even hearing people just don't get to learn english as thoroughly and some people who can speak english are illiterate. I just found it odd that in some posts she spells a word correctly and a few posts later she doesn't.

I totally get that... a lot of even hearing people just don't get to learn english as thoroughly and some people who can speak english are illiterate. I just found it odd that in some posts she spells a word correctly and a few posts later she doesn't.

I know English I just can't spill

Back