Hi! I am new to this so I don't know if this is how it works, SORRY!!

person_2020

Reaction score
I recently graduated from high school and now I am in college. Recently, I have been having trouble deciding which career path to take because I am half deaf because I have to consider the circumstances I have to face. I have a job where I have to use my hearing to take people's orders and it has been a nightmare, but I learned to cope with it; however, I still have trouble and I feel like I can't do much about it. Sometimes I get yelled at and sometimes people are just rude. I try to explain to them that I am half deaf and I can't really hear them, especially in this time a year since masks are mandatory. Furthermore, another thing about me is that I don't know sign language, which I wish I did. I was born half deaf and I can't use hearing aids because they don't work; therefore, I am stuck like this. Over the years, it feels like I have been loosing my hearing more and more, but I have not done anything about it. Now that I am in college I have been thinking of becoming an Engineer or a Math Teacher for High School. I don't know what type of engineering field, but I have thought maybe a biomedical engineer, but I am not really sure. I don't know which engineering field best suits me, especially since I want a career where it has less interaction with people because my hearing is terrible, which is a probably a bad excuse because I know people have it worst and they are still very successful. As for a Math Teacher, I wouldn't mind talking or talking to students, because I have been in that environment and it has not been terrible. However, my speech is not very good. I can't really hear myself, I can only hear like the humming or echo, I am not really sure what it is called, but the reason I say this is because I hear myself on video and I am always surprise of my voice and the way it sounds because I have no idea what sound like when I speak. I have been told I speak very softly or not loud enough, therefore, I never know if people can hear me. Other times, in different circumstances, they say I am yelling, which I have no idea, and I feel embarrassed. Sometimes I can't pronounce words because I am not really sure what I am hearing but that might be my accent getting in the way. So does anyone have any advice of which path to take or what should I do to improve myself? Or any other careers that might include math that might be a good fit for me? Sorry if I don't make sense, I am not really good at writing or explaining :(

First and foremost. LEARN ASL. It will give you options and confidence. You can find a community and resources to help. Deaf people can do all the things you want to be but everyone needs a language and communications go both ways. There are college courses, Bill Vicars (a deaf professor) posts his ASL classes for free on Youtube. It's a GREAT free way to learn ASL. Get involved with your local Deaf Community; there is usually a regional Facebook page.

Communication connects us to others and from what you wrote; it doesn't seem like you can do that easily or well and you want more...so that would be the best place to start in my humble opinion.

First and foremost. LEARN ASL. It will give you options and confidence. You can find a community and resources to help. Deaf people can do all the things you want to be but everyone needs a language and communications go both ways. There are college courses, Bill Vicars (a deaf professor) posts his ASL classes for free on Youtube. It's a GREAT free way to learn ASL. Get involved with your local Deaf Community; there is usually a regional Facebook page.

Communication connects us to others and from what you wrote; it doesn't seem like you can do that easily or well and you want more...so that would be the best place to start in my humble opinion.
Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it :) I will definitely start there.

I often recommend , on home page scrol down to our world our culture, then click on late on set deafness, there you will find many stories of personal experiences, more so of older people but some from all ages, its good to know how deferent people in diferent circumstances handle challenges, some may be a work in progress, some may be just what you need to hear, to know your not alone is a great comfort. Tell us what region your in may be one here can give better guidance, nice to meet you :ily:

I often recommend , on home page scrol down to our world our culture, then click on late on set deafness, there you will find many stories of personal experiences, more so of older people but some from all ages, its good to know how deferent people in diferent circumstances handle challenges, some may be a work in progress, some may be just what you need to hear, to know your not alone is a great comfort. Tell us what region your in may be one here can give better guidance, nice to meet you :ily:
Thank you! Nice to meet you too :)

Texas school for the deaf great, one I follow, out of ? Dallas? Its morning can't think yet, moor cofie, there are several on here from Taxas:grouphug:

Back