Hi from Southern New Jersey

jenniifer

Reaction score
Hello all

I am a hearing person from central southern NJ (burlington county)

Currently I am in nursing school, and have always wanted to learn ASL and feel that it could be helpful in my new career. Learning ASL is also a nice diversion from the heavy duty nursing material.

I am still a beginner, and don't think I am able to have even a limited conversation at this time...but I would love to meet other ASL students or seasoned signers in my area. Not just to practice, I don't want to use people like that, but also to develop new friendships. I have many interests, from animals to art to reading and yoga and much more!

Right now I doing my learning online, using mostly the LifePrint.com website with Dr Bill Vicars. The videos are so helpful, along with the fingerspelling tool - a video that fingerspells words for you to figure out. You can adjust the speed and number of letters in the word from very slowly spelled 3 letter words to "Deaf Speed" 6 + letter words. I am picking up signs faster than I had thought I would, but I know that just learning the signs is the easy part! I am also thinking of joining the WestwoodASL site, it is not free like Lifeprint, but it is very inexpensive, and from what I hear, comes highly recommended. I have looked at and even once bought a book on sign language, but seeing the videos is so much more helpful for me. Once I graduate from college next year, I will have time to take ASL as a college course, ASL is accepted as continuing education credits in nursing programs.

Would love to hear how other ASL students are learning, of any recommended books or websites.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone!

Welcome. Keep watch for Jiro. He is from New Jersey and can introduce you around if he feels like it.

Hello all

I am a hearing person from central southern NJ (burlington county)

Currently I am in nursing school, and have always wanted to learn ASL and feel that it could be helpful in my new career. Learning ASL is also a nice diversion from the heavy duty nursing material.

I am still a beginner, and don't think I am able to have even a limited conversation at this time...but I would love to meet other ASL students or seasoned signers in my area. Not just to practice, I don't want to use people like that, but also to develop new friendships. I have many interests, from animals to art to reading and yoga and much more!

Right now I doing my learning online, using mostly the LifePrint.com website with Dr Bill Vicars. The videos are so helpful, along with the fingerspelling tool - a video that fingerspells words for you to figure out. You can adjust the speed and number of letters in the word from very slowly spelled 3 letter words to "Deaf Speed" 6 + letter words. I am picking up signs faster than I had thought I would, but I know that just learning the signs is the easy part! I am also thinking of joining the WestwoodASL site, it is not free like Lifeprint, but it is very inexpensive, and from what I hear, comes highly recommended. I have looked at and even once bought a book on sign language, but seeing the videos is so much more helpful for me. Once I graduate from college next year, I will have time to take ASL as a college course, ASL is accepted as continuing education credits in nursing programs.

Would love to hear how other ASL students are learning, of any recommended books or websites.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. The bolded statement that you make is the right one for you to wait next year (2011) which you will take ASL as a college course while in the nursing programs. Just keep practicing your ASL signs whether it is from a sign language book or online sign language, but it is better to learn from a live person as you will sign the correct way to sign. Good luck.

Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. HAPPY HOLIDAYS! :wave:

Last edited:
Hi Jenniifer I'm hearing too and joined this site just his morning. Hey I like yoga too. I've been to NJ once! Atlantic City. One night I walked the board walk and went skinny dipping at midnight! It was 28 degreese and snowed 20mins after. That was the quickest swim of my life! lol Hey check he app store on ur phone. I have a few signing apps on mine. Apps are faster than phone websites and much more conveniant than carrying around a book.

Oh and Bebonang is very right the best way is with a real person. Make a few deaf friends to hang out with. You'll learn that not all the books have the same info and neither do the people you'll meet. The more ways and more ppl u have to learn from the better! And with live ppl learning isn't anything like study. IT'S FUN! Just hangin out with friends and learning at the same... Can't beat it!

thanks all - yes, I can see that actually finding someone to converse with is the best way to learn, like with any language. At this point, going to Deaf events may be premature, as I am not yet able to converse past hello how are you where are you from do you have any brothers etc etc. I would like nothing more than to just sit and watch others talk, but that would be rude, wouldn't it?

Daniel, I am very close to Atlantic City. Pretty brave of you to jump into the ocean in the winter, that water is often cold even in the warm months!! I used to love to go in at night, but now that I am older it scares me - I am becoming a more cautious person I guess. I lived at the shore area, about 20 minutes north of atlantic city, for the past 12, 13 years, but had to move a few miles back inland to finish school. I will be moving back to the shore after I graduate, I love being near the ocean, and especially love it in the off season (spring, fall, winter) because it is so quiet and peaceful, and there are very few people.
Oh, and I do have a signing app on my phone, one of the free ones, ASL Lite, it's called. There are a few others that are not that expensive, I plan on installing them, because ASL Lite is sort of limited. Not bad for being free, though!

Back