Hi everyone

gypseaemily

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm Emily, 29 years old, from St. Louis, MO. I am hard of hearing but going for a cochlear implant evaluation in a couple of weeks. I have been HOH since birth with severe to profound hearing loss in both ears. I am excited about what the future may hold for me.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Welcome Emily! Pull up a chair and join the conversation! :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum.

Er, excuse me. I don't think you are qualify to be the candidate for CI as you are not profound (totally deaf). You said you are hard of hearing but does that mean you are not completely profound deaf? Now you are saying that you have severe to profound deafness in both ears which might mean you are deaf, not hard of hearing.

What does your audiogram say about your hearing loss? How much Db you have? :confused:

Hi guys, I'm Emily, 29 years old, from St. Louis, MO. I am hard of hearing but going for a cochlear implant evaluation in a couple of weeks. I have been HOH since birth with severe to profound hearing loss in both ears. I am excited about what the future may hold for me.

I don't think you are qualify to be the candidate for CI as you are not profound (totally deaf). You said you are hard of hearing but does that mean you are not completely profound deaf?

look at the bolded part she obviously already stated she is severe to profound

But I do also find it odd that you identify as hoh and not deaf severe-profound hearing loss is pretty deaf if you ask me but to each their own I guess.

look at the bolded part she obviously already stated she is severe to profound

But I do also find it odd that you identify as hoh and not deaf severe-profound hearing loss is pretty deaf if you ask me but to each their own I guess.

Not so odd. I'm severe-to-profound deaf, but sometimes I call myself hoh as well. The reason I do is because with hearing aids, I can talk to hearing people one-on-one and read lips. I'm audiologically deaf, but functionally very hard of hearing. Does that help explain it?

Not so odd. I'm severe-to-profound deaf, but sometimes I call myself hoh as well. The reason I do is because with hearing aids, I can talk to hearing people one-on-one and read lips. I'm audiologically deaf, but functionally very hard of hearing. Does that help explain it?

Well for her to function well with hearing aids she wouldn't need a CI so I would think identifying as deaf would be easier than hoh because people would assume her hearing is better than it really is which in turn would prob make is harder on her seeing as I'm sure people would think her hearing is good enough to not accommodate more thoroughly. I found when I said hoh vs deaf people think ook I just may need to talk a bit louder or right you have a mild hearing loss..when It is indeed severe profound so I say deaf and usually people get the hint a bit more.

but this is also why I said to each their own because everyone is different ;)

good luck with the evaluation! speaking of that, I'm going for mine next week *different kind of evaluation which involves an ABR and new earmolds!!!!!!*

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! And the reason I identify as HOH is because I was mainstreamed throughout my whole life..... To my deaf friends, I am deaf, but to hearing people I am hard of hearing. Make sense?

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! And the reason I identify as HOH is because I was mainstreamed throughout my whole life..... To my deaf friends, I am deaf, but to hearing people I am hard of hearing. Make sense?

Ive always called my self deaf, as I fell people actually realise that I cant hear well compared to someone who had a mild hearing loss and is hard of hearing. Even to my hearing friends, I am deaf. I grew up orally and didnt learn sign until I was in my teens.

That does not make any sense if you are telling hearing people that you are hard of hearing instead of deaf. If you tell them that you could hear with the hearing aids but making them think that you can hear well and expect you to be like them one hundred percent. The hard of hearing meant that you can hear with mild hearing loss, not severe or profound deafness.

Beside, it is all about the degrees of hearing losses that was on the audiogram which your audiologist measure your hearing loss. If you are that very low which you can not hear halfway from the normal sound. Then you are deaf, not hard of hearing. That is very hard for us deaf people and maybe hard of hearing people to understand the degrees of hearing losses.

Just say you are deaf to the hearing people unless you are going to have problems with trying to understand them with no paper and pen to write down and also you really need sign language in your life. Don't forget that lipreading is not that excellent. You should know that. **sigh**

Hello, my name is Rebecca. I am hearing. I am currently enrolled in an ASL/English Interpreter Program in the hopes of one day becoming an interpreter. I have a Masters in Education and currently work with children. I would like to become immersed in deaf culture because I don't believe it is enough just to know sign language, but to know the history, the community, the people. I look forward to meeting new people. Thank you.

In regards to the current conversation: I know I am new to this forum and I am also a hearing person, which affects my knowledge and point of view. However, I believe it should be up to the individual to determine how he or she introduces himself or herself to others. If Emily wants to introduce herself as HOH to hearing people, and Profound dead to deaf people, isn't that her right? She is 29. I think she can make her own decisions. We do not know other people's experiences and therefore should not judge or tell them what to do. #JustMyOpinion

Profound dead to deaf people? :lol:

She does not have a mild hearing loss. If she is totally deaf or profound deaf, then she would be a candidate for getting a CI in the future. But calling herself hard of hearing when she can not use the phone or trying to understand what the hearing person speak is not going to help her but making the hearing people assumed that that she can communicate without ASL or having to use paper and pen and then thinking that she can answer the phone if she has mild hearing loss. This assumption can backfire all up in the smoke. Being deaf is totally different thing than being hard of hearing.

She should be deaf to both Deaf communities and to the hearing people. That would be more sense so there will not be any misunderstanding of what hearing people think. She has a lot to learn about her deafness and Deaf Culture here. She have to wake up and realize that she is deaf not hard of hearing. :cool2:

Back