Heya!

GrizzleBear

Reaction score
Hi, I'm GrizzleBear! I'm 25

About 10 years ago I started losing my hearing due to repeated head trauma. At the time, my high school offered ASL courses, so I had at least a basic way to communicate. However, my school was hearing, my family and friends were hearing. I went to a hearing college. Now I am married to a hearing wife and I'm living with her and my hearing partner. So, I feel very isolated.

My hearing loss feels a bit strange. Basically, I mostly can't hear around the frequencies of human speech. It's frustrating, because I can hear a lot of other things, just not about half of what people say. It also cuts out a lot of my music, sound effects from video games, sounds of most cars going by, etc.

But I've been steadily learning ASL, and now I want to reach out for community. I want to make friends who understand and have been through some of the same things.

A lot of my learning ASL comes from translating and performing songs, since I was a vocalist in another life. It has given me an... eccentric vocabulary.

Last edited:
Did you play a sport? Is that why you got repeated head trauma? Welcome to the forum!

Hello and welcome aboard, GrizzleBear! :wave:

Back