Hey there everyone!!

chaoticdahlia

Reaction score
I am 42, I am not Deaf just to put that out there first and foremost! I came across this site looking for help with lexicalized fingerspelling ( which by the way could they please add lexicalized to spell check!!) Anyway it is my goal to become an ASL interpreter, but I am having a hard time, my memory is not very good and my Professor is a native ASL user as both of his parents are Deaf and he tends to move at speeds that are incomprehensible to me. I decided this is what I would like to do because I went back to school (1st time I recieved a degree in Horticulture, I still work in that field) but as I have aged so has my body. I have had many deaf individuals in my classes and through an interpreter was able to form some friendships, they were limited by the language barrier I just kept going to school because I knew I would figure it out, what I wanted to do. An ASL interpreter pointed out to me one day that I would be good at it based on my ability, if nothing else, at attempting to communicate with others. Therefore here I am!! But I could really use some help,so If anyone out there wants to step up and can be patient with me (yes,you will have to show me over,and over, and over!!) I am all about it!! I am learning about culture in the Deaf community and have found that I really enjoy everyone's sense of humor and friendliness. While my goal is to assist in communication amongst Deaf and hearing, it is also my goal to make new friends with people who have different perspectives. I edited my introduction a bit due to the fact that while a had 110 views, there were no replies. I hope that I did not offend anyone, if I have I also wish for someone to point it out to me. My interest are gardening (i love it!!), I also enjoy cooking, I have recently been diagnosed with Celiacs and I am learning a whole new way to cook.I like to read books by Carl Hiesen, love the magazine Mental Floss and can be quite a nerd in reference to science. My sense of humor is corny as well, this is needed due to the fact I have 5 children at home from 13 years to 20. I also have 8 chickens 3 dogs a cat and a husband.Ii am currently going on and on, this happens because am a bit shy. Thanks for your time, I am going out in the sunshine, Spring is so close!! I can smell it!!

Last edited:
Back