Hey terps: any of these questions sound familiar?

:rofl2:

Even funnier to me because my interpreter does know Braille. But that's cause she decided to since she works with a lot of deafblind people.

Man, Deaf/Hh braille readers and SSP's that know braille must really screw it up for all the other deaf people/terps. :giggle:

Man, Deaf/Hh braille readers and SSP's that know braille must really screw it up for all the other deaf people/terps. :giggle:

What's funny is I taught myself Braille a long time ago, but I never volunteer that bit of information since I don't want to confuse people further. And in my personal experience, that question comes out of ignorance, and not because of past experiences like those. The latter I could understand, at least!

:ty: for the link. :lol:

Most of my assignments take place at a college. Hearing students frequently ask me if I'm related to the deaf student. :roll:

What's funny is I taught myself Braille a long time ago, but I never volunteer that bit of information since I don't want to confuse people further. And in my personal experience, that question comes out of ignorance, and not because of past experiences like those. The latter I could understand, at least!

You mean... braille and sign language aren't the same thing? :giggle:

This reminds me of a story Marlee Matlin tells where she was on a plane and the flight attendant took one look at her and rushed to get the Braille menu. :laugh2:

You should see some of the stupid things people say to DI's....:roll:

Another one addressed to me, more than once:

"You can speak?"

My personal favorite is "If you are a Deaf Interpreter, why do we need a hearing one?"

...umm...because you can't understand my ASL either and I can't understand your flapping lips!

What a dumb idiotic question.

Which brings me to this - why is that when we need an interpreter we get braille or a wheelchair instead? Does a deaf person with no walking issues need a wheelchair? Does a deaf person that have good vision even with glasses need braille? It just makes no sense. People are just so dumb sometimes. Perhaps they think deafness and other disabilities are interchangable or something, ya know what I mean?

Some people are just so dumb. *smh*

Of course Lucia. That's why when I get off the plane the crew rushes to get me the electric cart. :laugh2:

hahah that's so funny ! i'm not an interpreter... yet =) But I'm learning ASL and I think five people have already asked me if I know braille... dummies

Back