hey, im new here

MVP262

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
im katie. im new here.
im 17. im HOH. i have been HOH for a couple of years but didnt want to say anything about it until now.
but i havent got my hearing aids yet, until now. im getting them in a month, and im scared.
plz can u tell me ur experinces of getting ur hearing aids for the first time.
and wot is it like getting them?
wots the best ones to go for?
is 2 better than one?

We can't tell you. You need to follow the advice of your ENT and audiologist.

But anyway.:welcome:

24l6c0i.jpg

Hey everyone,
im katie. im new here.
im 17. im HOH. i have been HOH for a couple of years but didnt want to say anything about it until now.
but i havent got my hearing aids yet, until now. im getting them in a month, and im scared.
plz can u tell me ur experinces of getting ur hearing aids for the first time.
and wot is it like getting them?
wots the best ones to go for?
is 2 better than one?

i didnt get mine til was i 12 or13..i think
my memory is a bit of blur..
but anyways i only wear one and at first i didnt like wearing it
but not tht i was ashamed or anything but i did realize that i could hear better with it and so since then i been wearing it. and your last question i cant really answer that i mean it really depends. but good luck to you and keep us updated. [:

i didnt get mine til was i 12 or13..i think
my memory is a bit of blur..
but anyways i only wear one and at first i didnt like wearing it
but not tht i was ashamed or anything but i did realize that i could hear better with it and so since then i been wearing it. and your last question i cant really answer that i mean it really depends. but good luck to you and keep us updated. [:

im scared of getting them.
im probably goin to keep taking it out, cz it will feel weird in my ear.
i dont like new situations and its goin to be a new situation for me.

im scared of getting them.
im probably goin to keep taking it out, cz it will feel weird in my ear.
i dont like new situations and its goin to be a new situation for me.

it's normal hun.
i mean of course it's takes time to get used to it.
but it's all part of the process and in time it will get better.
so no need to be scared.

it's normal hun.
i mean of course it's takes time to get used to it.
but it's all part of the process and in time it will get better.
so no need to be scared.

im probably goin to have no friends after i have told them, that im HOH and need hearing aids.

This is normal, Shy_girl - don't worry about losing friends, that's the least of your worries! They will have to accept on who you are no matter that your HOH or not, going into new situations will take time to adjust. When you have it, you will go along just fine.

Anyway, welcome to the rumor centre alldeaf.com! :lol:

:wave:

i'm hearing but i think if your friends are true they will be at your side all the way- if not than they were never true friends. i wish you luck with your new situation but AD is a great place to meet and talk to others who know how you feel. the people here can be a great support system if you let them!

i'm hearing but i think if your friends are true they will be at your side all the way- if not than they were never true friends. i wish you luck with your new situation but AD is a great place to meet and talk to others who know how you feel. the people here can be a great support system if you let them!

Very true. There have been those I thought were my friends that showed their intolerance or ignorance when I became hoh. But, my true friends, they have been a rock for me and other than adjusting their communication skills have not treated me any different. This can be said for any problem or crisis in a persons life. True friends will always be there and those that aren't? Good riddance, as they are not needed in anyone's life.

hi, be brave and this is a place to seek and discover new ideas , in lives and opinions related to being d/Deaf

welcome :)

Hi There

Getting new hearing aids can be a scary but wonderful miracle. Congratulations.

I was born HOH but I didn't get my hearing aids until I was 4 years old. That was back in the 80s. ( Gosh, Im starting to feel old) Back then, hearing aids were huge! I can remember my audiologist putting them in my ear and all of a sudden, the world was screaming and yelling. I did not like them. Years went by, I appreciated them. I got a new pair after I outgrew them as the years went by.

Just last year I was able to get a pair of brand new ones. The old ones were broken and I was struggling to keep up with everyone at work and school. People would laugh at something that was being said and I would have to fake it just so I wouldn't seem out of place.

Now, putting those new hearing aids on were an even better first time experience for me. I turned them on and again the world was loud, especially the train. lol. When I got home, my cat, Star greeted me. That is when I heard the most precious and healing sound. The sound of a loving purr. She started purring right away, I heard it from several feet away. I had not heard her purr before, only felt it. I was over whelmed with such emotion, I cried. I went outside later and I could hear all the sounds of nature, I heard the birds and the horses loud and clear.

When I got to work the next day, I over heard a co worker tell a joke and normally I couldn't hear it, I laughed so hard I though I was going to fall or get in trouble. Since that day on, I was never left out again, and I had enough guts to talk to the crush I had been dreaming about every day since I saw him the first time. We are now living together and been together more than 17 months.

Getting hearing aids is going to give you so much pleasure. I know this isn't fair to other people but the sounds that keep people up all night, you can just shut them out by taking the hearing aids off. LOL.

Now I am not going to promise you that it is all fun and games either though. There is the awkward feeling when the battery suddenly dies in the middle of a conversation. There is also that feeling of insecurity about how other people are going to react to your hearing aids. (Though it is one of my insecurities, no one I cared about ever reacted bad towards them.) I was so embarrased of mine that I wore my hair down to cover them. Many people never knew I was HOH.

Again congratulations, the gift of sound is a mirable. Let us know how it goes. Welcome to AD.

Back