Help!!

InsomniacBunny

Reaction score
*My friend is helping me write this because I'm not too good with the computer*

I'm 18 years old and I live in San Diego. I have lived in different foster cares all of my life but now that I'm 18 I can't live there anymore. I'm staying in a state run transitional living place right now but I only have 30 days to find a place to live.

I have never had a job because I've never stayed in the same area for very long because of foster care. But I need a job now. I'm having a hard time finding one. Can anyone recommend a good company that hires the deaf. I have my GED, and am willing to do anything. I've heard of job coaches, could someone explain that to me?

Also I don't think I can stay in San Diego because its too expensive to live. I have enough money saved to take the bus somewhere and move there. Does anyone know of a good place to live with lots of jobs, and a good deaf community? I don't have any family so I'm willing to move wherever I could find a good job.

Thanks for your help.

Too bad you have your GED already. If you didn't, you could have the state send you to the school for the Deaf, for a place to live. (dhh kids can stay in school til they are 21-22)
Are you hooked up with social services? They have VR counselors for the deaf and hard of hearing.

Hi! Thanks for your reply. I am in touch with Social Services but they haven't been much help. When I got out of foster care I didn't have a place to go so Social Services found me this place. But they haven't been much help with my job search. What is VR counselors?

Hello ... VR is a Vocational Rehabilitation. To find state office for this agency, check this website and contact them to help you.

RSA

Also you could try to contact Deaf & Hard Of Hearing Services and ask for their help as well. click here too

Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services - Specialized Services - Department of Rehabilitation

Also try this

San Diego
Deaf Community Services
3930 Fourth Ave., Suite 300
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 398-2440 (TTY)
(619) 398-2441 (Voice)
(619) 398-2444 (FAX)

Deaf Community Services - San Diego, California

The Resources in San Diego are GREAT, its just a matter of getting them OK'ed. Many places will educate you and re-educate you, even having graduated HS or gotten a GED, if they can deem you "unfit" to work, they will re-train you and teach you new things... you can also get college credits or a 2 year associates in many places, for just the price of the books, they pay for the courses...
Your mileage may vary... but when i was in SD, its one of the better places ive lived... (Back in NY now)
-Paulie

Hello ... VR is a Vocational Rehabilitation. To find state office for this agency, check this website and contact them to help you.

RSA

Also you could try to contact Deaf & Hard Of Hearing Services and ask for their help as well. click here too

Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services - Specialized Services - Department of Rehabilitation

Also try this

San Diego
Deaf Community Services
3930 Fourth Ave., Suite 300
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 398-2440 (TTY)
(619) 398-2441 (Voice)
(619) 398-2444 (FAX)

Deaf Community Services - San Diego, California

I was a coach job and does assist deaf people find jobs.!!! Its helpful! ;):)

Find a roomate too!

Good luck

:bump:

Thread moved here as well as making it 'sticky' during the time user has--seeking help and answers.

~RR

Bunny, the Goodwill in Long Beach (closer to L.A. than San Diego) has a whole vocational system set up for deaf people, or at least they used to last I knew about; they are also affiliated with a sign language interpreting agency, LINKS.

Here's the contact info for Goodwill:

General Information: (562) 435-3411
Fax: (562) 495-1447
TTY: (562) 590-8588

info@goodwillsolac.org

For LINKS:

LiNKS Sign Language & Interpreting Services
Chuck Scarpaci
(562) 495-9681
cscarpaci@linksinterpreting.com

LiNKS web site American Sign Language Interpreting Los Angeles/Long Beach

Good luck!

hello this is Ms.Tonita watson I,m deaf . I will help to me ok? I find need roomate to me but so I no place street it I first time me to me I will plan looking get. Job and apt it

hello this is Ms.Tonita watson I,m deaf . I will help to me ok? I find need roomate to me but so I no place street it I first time me to me I will plan looking get. Job and apt it
This was posted back in 2007. I don't think they still need help

Back