Help with PAPER please : AGAINST COCHLEAR IMPLANTS

What is a positioner? Never heard of that.

I didnt have the vaccination. I did ask the surgeon about it and he said he didnt require that of CI patients but if i wanted he would order it that he'd never had a patient deveop that and he has been implanting them since they started doing the implantations at the hospital where hes at and hes the only one in that area that does it. Not exactly sure but I think the audiologist said he had been doing them for 10 to 15 years. He did give me a antibiotic though, that and darvocet for pain if needed.

It was an earlier version of an AB internal implant.

Thanks everyone . I got a B on my paper .I made the paper a paper about the people and not a clincial debate paper which was refreshing and different I was told. The power point part wasn't that great .But the paper rocked and it was a paper of the people that actually have them or don't want them and the children ,that the parents have mixed feeling about whole thing was the main debating part.( one partent wanting it and one not wanting for the chil) I can't thank you enough for all the help and the knowledge I have gained with this paper :) please remeber I didn't choose this it was given to me .

Thanks everyone . I got a B on my paper .I made the paper a paper about the people and not a clincial debate paper which was refreshing and different I was told. The power point part wasn't that great .But the paper rocked and it was a paper of the people that actually have them or don't want them and the children ,that the parents have mixed feeling about whole thing was the main debating part.( one partent wanting it and one not wanting for the chil) I can't thank you enough for all the help and the knowledge I have gained with this paper :) please remeber I didn't choose this it was given to me .

Any chance we can read this paper?:hmm:

once the paper are released and I have a new one now

released like I told everyone I would let them see it. We only got the cover sheets back that showed how the grading was broke down and what we got ... the papers will be returned sometime next week my class is a head of the other class she has and she giving them all back on the final day.
I couldn't write it the way I thought it was going to start out but after looking at so many websites and talking to so many people. I knew I had to change the attack of the debate .
I did and now the paper is over and a new is to start and I drew out of the box
KENNY WALKER ~~~ This is a person all I know about he was a Texas boy and a football player ( only cause at the sport bars you see the pictures and the name and the say that is the Deaf football player and I am in Texas so that local Texas pride ) other than that I am at a loss unlike the easy ones lol.
that some got,but this I like someone knew to learn about .

I nearly wasted my valued cup of tea! This is hilarious..... EAR PLANTS!!... ooh I found weed in my ear! (it's not weed, it's wax for godness sake!) if you are doing research, I suggest you to research properly and learn more.

By the way I am proud CI user, it had benefitted me greatly, I still use BSL, the only annoying thing about it is people having negative attitidue to people's choice to have them done.

I second that!

Wow! after i read all the threads about against CI! I feel like why? why SOME of you are against CI? i consider about having ci soon. im 56 and born deaf ever since. i do still wear one ailing hearing aid of 16 yrs! thats mean they will be no longer good as worn out till dead! i found out that buy brand new ha. for like $5,000 for powerful ones suit for born profound deaf like used car to buy! i cant afford nor either get a loan, too. but insurance will be covering with no cost on me. i do still hunting and discovering on CI.
I know there is out there in the world CI deaf cultures group dividing from H.A. with sign language and H.A. with orally and lipreading, CI with sign language and CI with lip/orally. i heard of those not getting along. well there is sad.
for me, i believe deaf SHOULD get along with no matter what they are or have. so be friends with all sign lang., orally/lipreading and CI..

for me, i believe deaf SHOULD get along with no matter what they are or have. so be friends with all sign lang., orally/lipreading and CI..
:gpost:

I wrote a paper for my English class, originally it was going to be about hearing aids/ci's vs. "cultural Deafness", but it morphed into a paper representativ of multiple sides of deafness.
I think I wanna thank everyone who responded to this thread and helped educate josey on Ear Plants :D and deafness.
Congrats everyone, and Josey. Hope to see that paper when it' available :D
:ty:
AD!

Some, hands on, thoughts about CIs

On the POSITIVE side: Generally speaking, the earlier the patient in implanted, hopefully before age 2, the better the CI works. In post lingual patients, most report the regaining of their failed hearing, but (remember) they have had the benefit of auditory stimulation from previous years. They have a "reference point" with which to compare.

On the NEGATIVE side: Patients implanted later in life, say older than 6 years of age, the benefits seem to diminish. Implants in pre-lingual teens and adults result in markedly poorer results.

The main complaint against CIs is not that they have benefit, rather that (to some) it artificially makes a "hearing person" out a "deaf person" which, to me is
a poor excuse to deprive anyone the chance for a markedly improved life in a predominately world of sounds and voice.

Those that rally against CIs are (to me) narrow minded, mean spirited, petty, jealous, ignorant and self serving.

These are the same people who rail against MCE, SEE1, MSS, Cued Speech, CIs, HAs and the hearing society. They are to be pitied.

"They who know not and care not that they know not, are fools. Shun them"

I guess my thinking is that having an improved life does not have to relate to hearing/using one's voice. I disagree that people who rally against CI should be pitied, I think that is a very paternalistic and simplistic comment to make.

CI have changed my life for the better! I never heard sounds of a bird or bacon frying until I turned my ci on... and I'm not saying that if u r deaf and don't get an ci that u are missing out because that is a personal choice, but I didn't realize just exactly what i was missing out on. I love to hear my children talking, birds, crickets, pond frogs, wind moving the leaves on trees, and etc. I go could go on and on but I will say this if it wasn't for the ci I wouldn't be able to hear all the wonderful sounds and voices i do hear. The benefits outweighs the negative by far. I simply can not function without mine anymore it has become my way of life!! So I say Thank God they came out with this wonderful technolology for me and my family!

The CON side to having a Cochlear Implant would be: one wants to remain deaf. Either ORAL or CULTURAL using ASL. The situation about 20-30 years ago. Today a "personal choice" assuming one can meet the "cost factor" and survive the 3-4 hour surgery. Plus of course the type of "hearing loss" one has.

Advance Bionics Harmony Atria activated Aug/07.

Back