Help With Interpreting

memories18

Reaction score
Hello I'm New To This Forum, But I Am Really Interested Right ow In Becoming An Interpreter.
I Have Finished A Level 4 Sign Language Class At My High School And I Was Wondering If I Was Ready To Start Becoming An Interpreter. Like If I Was Ready To Take A Test For A Beginning Certification.
If I Am Ready Could Someone Inform Me As To Where I Can Get Information On This.
I Live in San Diego California.
Please And Thank You.

Oh Well This Isn't For School Or Anything. I Finished All Of My ASL Classes. I Want To Better Inform Myself So That I Can Become An Interpreter.

Oh Well This Isn't For School Or Anything. I Finished All Of My ASL Classes. I Want To Better Inform Myself So That I Can Become An Interpreter.

No you are not ready. Read here and get involved and find out more.

RID -

Being an interpreter is more than being a fluent signer. You will probably need to attend an ITP to prepare to be an interpreter. ASL 4 is not generally enough for you to be fluent either, so it's unlikely that you're ready now for even a state certification exam. (Also, you must have a college degree to take the national exams.)

Look on the RID website for an ITP at a college near you, or somewhere you think you'd like to go to college. ASL 4 is probably enough to start an ITP with, so when you're ready for college, you'll be all set!

(And if I misunderstood and you're in college now, look into transferring somewhere with an ITP.)

Here's the website for Southern California RID:

Southern California RID

They're a good organization that provides many awesome interpreting workshops, and I'm sure if you contact them they can provide a list of ITPs in your area. I know San Diego Mesa College has one, but I have no idea about its quality, or if that's even close to you.

Etoile is right: interpreting involves a lot more than signing. I've known wonderful signers who were terrible interpreters. Especially since degrees are more and more being required for certification, I highly recommend getting at least an associate's degree in interpreting.

Everyone Thanks For The Help. No I'm In My Senior Year Of High School And Interpreting Is Definitely Something I Want To Study In High School And I've Applied To A Couple.

I'm going to assume you meant you want to study it in college - I never heard of a high school offering interpreting classes. ;)

Everyone Thanks For The Help. No I'm In My Senior Year Of High School And Interpreting Is Definitely Something I Want To Study In High School And I've Applied To A Couple.
I'm curious--why do you capitalize every word? It makes your sentences more difficult to read.

Well It's Camel Case. I Just Do It Without Really Realizing It. Sorry If It's Hard To Read.

Well It's Camel Case. I Just Do It Without Really Realizing It. Sorry If It's Hard To Read.

No, CamelCase is different. CamelCase doesn't have spaces between words. AstroTurf, CinemaScope - those are examples of CamelCase. Interesting though that your habit of typing is the same as what forums do when you type in all caps, how did you manage that habit?! Interesting.

Oh interesting...take a look at this post which i typed in all caps. Looks like alldeaf does it a little differently.

I didn't mean to derail this thread. I was just hoping that there was an easy explanation and fix for the hard-to-read posts.

In a way it is related to the topic of sign language interpreting though. Print medium and sign language are both visual modes of communication. The easier and clearer they are to read, the more likely the message is to be understood. Unclear messages are more likely to be ignored or misunderstood.

Capping the first letter of every word in a sentence puts the brakes on the natural flow and rhythm of the text.

Back