Help with book dialogue.

lugoblah

Reaction score
I'm currently writing a book, which features a several deaf characters. I'm trying to write dialogue as accurately as possible. While proofreading I stumbled over a problem, a character rudely asks for something, then is corrected about asking for it politely. The character asks again, but this time uses may instead of can. I've recently learned that may and can have the same sign. How can I rewrite that bit of dialogue to portray a rude way to ask for something then a polite way to ask for it.

example:
"Can I have a hamburger, please?"
"I guess if I can make one for you."
"May I have a hamburger, please?"

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

the rudeness would be in the tone and facial expression. Also, while one is more grammatically correct; the pedantic person correcting is really the rude one. I'd scrap that as it seems unnecessary and doesn't fit for what you're trying to do anyway.

Thank you for the advice. I rewrote it to make closer to the murder theme, so the whole rude versus politeness aspect is taken out. How does someone express tone through signing? Sorry if that's offensive. But I'm just trying to learn.

Ellie is better at this than I, may be I'm more SEE, I would use sign for allow for may not can, but I'm confused, how does this translate to writen english? :hmm: oh!to your question you ever heard of an eye role or a smerk ect.

Second though, help me here ellie if I get confused, ok the sign for these words same but mouth meem deferent, earry is with a mm mouth expression, scary with ooh and eye expression, frighting with aah and eye and an inhal, tairifying with a sharp in hail expressing is and you will know a frightened face when you see it its universal, howed I do ellie?

This is so helpful. Thank you. I was just confused because Ellie said "tone and facial expression" so I thought tone also included how a person signs, like if a person's angry they would do their signs more forcefully or something.

If a person's name sign is one letter being signed twice, how does the signer separate the signs for it?

yes full expressiveness, watch some deaf music videos, I have a couple of favorites, can't rember contact info. I have them bookmarked, thinking one is deaf rock church, I have to go look up names :hmm:

Back