Help with a sign, please

DeAnnaKay

Reaction score
IMG_2421.JPG Hello everyone. I am hard of hearing, and my hearing loss has been rapidly getting worse, I have started taking an ASL class. I am reading the textbook and I saw a sign that I was unable to find a definition for. Can anyone help me and explain what the middle sign in the image means? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!
1aBQ1

Last edited:
@zephren I was figuring
"Im not happy" based on the facial expression

Videos are way better to get the message, though to memorize correctly I like the pictures

Thank you so much. According to the text there is a problem with the facial expression used with the sign. I really appreciate your help!

I'm learning ASL as well. ASL is a visual language and learning it out of a book is not a good way to learn. I don't know if you have this experience, but the class I'm taking is designed for hearing people to learn ASL. It can be very frustrating.

I'm learning ASL as well. ASL is a visual language and learning it out of a book is not a good way to learn. I don't know if you have this experience, but the class I'm taking is designed for hearing people to learn ASL. It can be very frustrating.
Taphy,
Yes, I am finding it very difficult the way the class is set up for hearing people. I feel lost some of the time. The teacher is aware that I am hard of hearing, but I realize it's difficult to gear the entire class to suit one individual. Like the DVD that goes with our class shows videos of people signing and it doesn't have closed captioning, a narrator speaks the words that are being signed. I feel like I am caught between two worlds and not really part of either. I find it most upsetting when people find out about my hearing loss and they look sad for me and say they're sorry, like they just found out I have some terrible disease. Also, they think that they're complimenting me by telling me that I speak so clearly and lip read so well that they would never know I had hearing loss. It reminds me of when people have "complimented" me by telling me that I don't look Jewish.

Last edited:
Taphy,
Yes, I am finding it very difficult the way the class is set up for hearing people. I feel lost some of the time. The teacher is aware that I am hard of hearing, but I realize it's difficult to gear the entire class to suit one individual. Like the DVD that goes with our class shows videos of people signing and it doesn't have closed captioning, a narrator speaks the words that are being signed. I feel like I am caught between two worlds and not really part of either. I find it most upsetting when people find out about my hearing loss and they look sad for me and say they're sorry, like they just found out I have some terrible disease. Also, they think that they're complimenting me by telling me that I speak so clearly and lip read so well that they would never know I had hearing loss. It reminds me of when people have "complimented" me by telling me that I don't look Jewish.
Are you for real? The DVD has no captioning? Sighhh.

Back