Help me understand why...

knightwolf68 said:
Glad that someone brought it up these issues .... I have been so furious with everybody else who is on ssi/ssdi .. I have been give them the lectures to get a job or go college to get what they want ... they keep say nah ... i rather to use govn money to have fun than work work work and less travel vacation etc ... even i have to admit what i have notice about 1/3 of overall isn't on drugs or drinking .... and 3/4 is on drugs and drinking ... it make me sick to see them ... I have warn them what if SS start cut down their check downsizing amount and boot them out of systems what will they gonna do ??? and know what they say ???? it make me sooo piss off more .. they say that they are going to start sell the "ABC " cards it make me soo piss off and don't like it at all.... i told them it gonna to be harder to do that because more peoples start sell like that then hard to earn and won't meet the roof to be under to pay the rent ... they said soooo can get more roommates to share in the rent houses .... i told them no no there is some places wouldn't allow like that ... they think the life is so simple and nothing... i give up and let them go and somewhat feel sorry about their futures ... but can't help them anymore ...

I agree with you there! :) My ex-husband sells ABC cards, too and he don't like to work. He lives on SSDI. The only problem is that most managers/landlords turned him down on his applications for rental apartment due to his bad credit history. He once asked me for a room mate and I told him that I can not accept him as a room mate, because he will might hurt my good credit that I work hard my butt off. I've built everything around here on my own without anyone's help.

I've seen some deaf people who are freeloaders while livin' on SSDI.

Yeah, I'm the same -- I've worked my arse off and made sure that I was not going to be stuck on SSDI (or any pension type of plans) because it's not a good way to live life. :roll:
Of course, I did get onto SSI a few times while I was finding my way around life and settling into college life and seeing where I should go next from college, etc.

Australia -- I'm not eligible for any kind of pension unless I can prove to government that I'm constantly discriminated against due to my deafness and permanently disabled, BS BS ...hubby earns too much. Problem is that I'm not working -- no luck in finding a job. :( Most of Hubby's wages goes to his stupid ex wife for child support ($800 a month) and ex wife is on stupid disability pension and works on her at home business of CD duplication/replication. I have tried to get her caught for fraud (stealing money from government from all her lies in her 'disabilities' and not disclosing her business income, etc.
Anyway -- sorry...off topic a bit..just am a bit frustrated at this stage..needed to vent, :lol: Maybe I'll go and set up a thread and ventttttttttttttttttttttt! ;)

WaterRats13 said:
Yeah, I'm the same -- I've worked my arse off and made sure that I was not going to be stuck on SSDI (or any pension type of plans) because it's not a good way to live life. :roll:
Of course, I did get onto SSI a few times while I was finding my way around life and settling into college life and seeing where I should go next from college, etc.

Australia -- I'm not eligible for any kind of pension unless I can prove to government that I'm constantly discriminated against due to my deafness and permanently disabled, BS BS ...hubby earns too much. Problem is that I'm not working -- no luck in finding a job. :( Most of Hubby's wages goes to his stupid ex wife for child support ($800 a month) and ex wife is on stupid disability pension and works on her at home business of CD duplication/replication. I have tried to get her caught for fraud (stealing money from government from all her lies in her 'disabilities' and not disclosing her business income, etc.
Anyway -- sorry...off topic a bit..just am a bit frustrated at this stage..needed to vent, :lol: Maybe I'll go and set up a thread and ventttttttttttttttttttttt! ;)

Aww dang!! What a pain in the butt, eh? :lol: But, hey you are not alone. I am sure there's some people who went thru the same as you are now. Let me give you some :grouphug: You are doin' so well for sharin' your experiences with us. :D

One lady colleague of mine, she said she earns 550 dollars SSDI in Massachusetts while she works part-time plus 350 dollars each of her three sons. She wants to move to California because she will increase 1,200 dollars plus 725 dollars each of three sons.

Massachusetts = $1,600 a month

California = $3,375 a month

She wants to quit her part-time job here and will move to California. Naturally, it makes me so furious. What are heck Deaf people do all the day with collect $3,375.00 a month. It seems not fair for serious hearing people who are really sick, wheelchair or blind. They earn very little and cut a lot of Commonwealth Mass Health insurance. They can't afford to get their medication. They work very hard to find the jobs. No one would hire them. They were very discouraged !

I can't image to sit around in the house everyday to earn SSDI or SSDA whatever. I would be fucking crazy to stay home all the day because I can't hear or speak. Oh please !!!

Well as for me, i have never , ever used SSI or SSDI or whatever all my life!
i have always worked and i feel lucky to have a job with the Fed.Gov. but IF i should ever physically disabled or come down with serious illness, i will do it! as long as im able to work, i will never take advantage of Government. I understand why some deaf folks use it if they are in school or whatever reasons they cant work..its just some lazy azzed deafies do take advantage of government, i have known some deafies here in my town using their deafness as an excuse not to work! there was nothing wrong with their health really, just laziness..I know one lady who is deaf but she has severe rheumtoid arthritis and she cant do anything with her hands due to the arthritis, in fact one arm is so deformed..she cant drive and is divorced so she is living on SSI, its her ex husband that is deaf but healthy and he is the lazy azzed one, he had many opportunities to go to Voc tech school to learn a trade like carpentry and several job offers, but he refused to go to school or work!!! jeeez!

I think SSDI is like getting addicted to Percodan, once you're on it, life off of it seems really dull. :)

Meg said:
....most deaf people will not give up their SSDI and work full time? It seems like SSDI is their security blanket.

Without revealing too much to avoid breaking confidentiality, I deal with this issue on a daily basis and cannot understand why many are hesitant to be given more hours and work hard so that they can get promoted or a raise. They only would say "I cannot work this X amount of hours or earn more than X amount of money each month".

What happened to pride and sense of accomplishment? Why aren't the government looking into these people and see that they are capable of working full time and establishing careers, rather than keeping SSDI and work part time?

I am unable to understand why they choose to do this? I see so many bright and intelligent deaf folks but with low motivation. If only they could work full time and realize they would gain so much not only in job experience, but also pride, respect and dignity.

Please don't slam me.. I am only referring to THOSE who work part time and are being given chances yet they turn them down in order to keep SSDI.

I feel the same, It make me sad to see that happen. Life is much better when you work at a full job, and make more than what you get from Social Security. On an average full job you can make more than one thounsand per month. Just that those people who arent in school are too lazy. :ugh:

Steel said:
I dont really need SSDI since I think it's just better if it's for handicapped people who can't walk or use their hands for lifting things or writing or whatever...etc you know, the basics but sure, deafies can't hear, but we can still work, right? walk around giving orders and recieving orders, clean up stuff, write, type, drive, etc...anything that we can do as hearies do expect talk on phones lol so I don't really think SSDI is too important for the deafies so that's my 2 cents ladies n' gentlemen

Little birdie told me that you are still collecting Social security and blew all of it on video games. I dont blame you, since youre still a student.

Oceanbreeze said:
Well, Meg.

I am not deaf. However, I am physically disabled, an I'm on SSI. The reason for what you are seeing COULD be that a lot of the time, Medicaid is tied in with SSI, and many people like me can't afford to lose SSI, or they will also lose their Medicaid. Therefore, they are forced to make a choice. I can tell you that if I could work, I would. Just something to think about .... And, I am not making excuses for those who simply are lazy. I just am trying to give another point of view to this.

Most full jobs provides same benfiet as medicaid, plus coverage at dentist.

Hermit of ozark said:
Most full jobs provides same benfiet as medicaid, plus coverage at dentist.

Well those places are usually jobs that require you to have some sort of better than HS diploma skill, you know? I struck lucky with my job, I work in retail (but not at a chain store, theres just one of us) and I get medical/dental.

Hermit of ozark said:
Little birdie told me that you are still collecting Social security and blew all of it on video games. I dont blame you, since youre still a student.
little birdie told me that he likes to crap on you before telling you secrets

Now, I'm not pointing any fingers since personally, I don't know too many of you...and I promise - my response has nothing to do with the replies that have already been posted to this thread. These are just thoughts that I've pulled out of the top of my head...

...but I think some of it might be a self-esteem issue. Granted, it would be harder for a deaf or disabled individual to find a good job than it would be for a hearing person to. More often than not, the person doing the hiring might not want to explore what the disabled employee-to-be CAN do. They only see what we can't...for example, the phone, being a receptionist, etc? And so they smile politely and say "We'll let you know." By now, it's pretty safe to assume that that, in translation, means "Go look somewhere else." :dunno:

So...ya know, I believe that some folks (and no, I don't mean any of you - cause, really, unless you come out and admit it yourselves, I have no reason to accuse you of doing so) may say to themselves, "Well, jeez...if I can't find a good job, then I mght as well do what I can and fully reap the benefits of the SSI I receive." And so, it becomes a habit. The disabled/deaf individual eventually gives up on trying to make more of themselves, and they go from one check to the next, and in turn, don't advance too much further. However, because they've also convinced themselves in the meantime, that they won't succeed in doing much else, then this becomes an acceptable way of life for them.

This is just a theory, of course. I can very well be completely off base with this, but please feel free to respond. :) I have respect for all of you, whether you choose to work, choose to live off your SSI checks, or do a little bit of both. We're all human, and that's the bottom line. :)

:bump: When I had SSI for first two years in my college year. It wasn't enough to support for myself. I was in hell stress. No money to spend for fun. What's wrong with it?

I look up on hearing student. They work hard on full-time job while go school full-time. If they can do it. Then I can do it.

Enough with SSI. I cancel it when I found a full-time job. Earn much more than SSI while being full-time student. I got more fun and I felt lot better.

=====

without job - SSI
up to $400.

with job
up to $1,200.

See different.

i forgot to add the comments ... whoever does part times job while get ssi/ssdi i would compliment them great and keep it up know why ??? whoever do part times consider pay taxes for ss systems... thats mean they aren't play round with the life ... eventhrough i do support peoples who is on ssi/ssdi while they are students or part times thats suit me fine ..

whoever is on ssi/ssdi without student/ work i would mad at them becasue most of us who work and pay taxes to feed them while they are off hook to play round ....

I am not sure each state have systems called " ticket to work" since we do have one in here ... maybe u are not familiar with these term " ticket to work" it mean that u can keep ssi / ssdi while u get training for future job out there .. bases on the agreements like balance of income to meet their ss income to lose just like scale balance ... I hope u can understand what i am talk about ... maybe u can ask ss office about "ticket to work" they might help u to get training and help u to find a job ...

Sabrina said:
One lady colleague of mine, she said she earns 550 dollars SSDI in Massachusetts while she works part-time plus 350 dollars each of her three sons. She wants to move to California because she will increase 1,200 dollars plus 725 dollars each of three sons.

Massachusetts = $1,600 a month

California = $3,375 a month

She wants to quit her part-time job here and will move to California. Naturally, it makes me so furious. What are heck Deaf people do all the day with collect $3,375.00 a month. It seems not fair for serious hearing people who are really sick, wheelchair or blind. They earn very little and cut a lot of Commonwealth Mass Health insurance. They can't afford to get their medication. They work very hard to find the jobs. No one would hire them. They were very discouraged !

I can't image to sit around in the house everyday to earn SSDI or SSDA whatever. I would be fucking crazy to stay home all the day because I can't hear or speak. Oh please !!!

Whoa, whoa... tell your friend that she's moving to California for the wrong reasons!!! Just to get an increase in SSDI?!?! Tsk tsk!! The economy in CA is tough, and I think your friend may be incorrect in her estimates -- still wrong!!

illustrator said:
:bump: When I had SSI for first two years in my college year. It wasn't enough to support for myself. I was in hell stress. No money to spend for fun. What's wrong with it?

I look up on hearing student. They work hard on full-time job while go school full-time. If they can do it. Then I can do it.

Enough with SSI. I cancel it when I found a full-time job. Earn much more than SSI while being full-time student. I got more fun and I felt lot better.

=====

without job - SSI
up to $400.

with job
up to $1,200.

See different.

I thought you cannot get SSI While Working?

Cheri said:
I thought you cannot get SSI While Working?

Yes you can. but they will Adjust $

SSDI different 9 months trial, SSI can adjust even if you works.

Sweet_KJ said:
Whoa, whoa... tell your friend that she's moving to California for the wrong reasons!!! Just to get an increase in SSDI?!?! Tsk tsk!! The economy in CA is tough, and I think your friend may be incorrect in her estimates -- still wrong!!
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH SWEET_KJ SINCE I HAVE MANY FRIENDS FROM CALIFORINA .... MOST OF THEM ARE ON SSI/SSDI KNOW WHAT ??? ALMOST ALL OF THEM END UP HAVING ROOMMATES !!! I AM SURE THAT THAT PERSON MIGHT NOT REALIZE WHAT THEY ARE GOING TO FACE ONCE THEY MOVE TO CALIF. AND THEY WILL REGRET TO HAVE IT TO BE DONE AND EVERYWHERE ROUND THE AMERICAN HAVING TOUGH LIVING WITH SSI/SSDI BECAUSE NOTICE THAT MOST APT GOES UP EVERY YEAR AND THEY CAN'T MEET WHAT THEY WANT TO DO ... SO THINK ABOUT IT .... PLS PLS HAVE THAT PERSON READ OUR MESSAGES MAYBE THEY MIGHT CHANGE THEIR MIND AND STAY WHERE TEHY ARE IN .... BETTER THAN BEING SORRY ...

Yes u darn right, Knigtwolf! I have heard many people moving from CALIF! cuz of their high cost of living..we know a couple that moved from Calif to here in Oklahoma cuz of high cost of living there and Okla. is cheaper!..This lady's father and stepmother moved from there to here too!..so it would not be a good idea to move there or anywhere else that has high cost of living!..Need to check it out before you take a drastic thing like moving to Calif!

I agree with all of u people. I have seen some people fooling around with their lives and continue with SSI and not motivating to look for job, no matter what, I know a guy who's 52 years old and he's fooling around like a teenager, I never seen him start looking for a job and he's a pack rat, I've tried to tell him to go look for a job and stop depending on SSI, he made excuses...I told him ur own ur own, do what u want, I am trying to help people get in better life. I'm on SSDI and I work part time and I'm looking for full time job to stop depending on govt money, I feel that way like most of u on the posts. :)

Back