"Help! I've fallen and can't get up"

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Those Life Alert TV ads....for the elderly. ...I was "wondering" about us elderly deafies?...who cannot speak or hear...would it be feasible to order one?...Or is there anything else we could use to alert and call for help in case we have fallen and of course "can't get up"?....Many elderly deafies do live alone and need a devise such as this....Comments appreciated...

Thats why it is best to bring smartphone with you all the times. When you fall, you can pull it out and call 911 for help through vrs.

That's 1 good solution...but there are those who cannot afford Smart Phones.

There are smartphones you can buy for 100 dollars or less. They aren't fancy like 800 dollars phone but still would do the job.

There are smartphones you can buy for 100 dollars or less. They aren't fancy like 800 dollars phone but still would do the job.

Right! I am using a phone that would have been $20 is I would have activated it on Cricket rather than unlocking it and putting in on another AT&T MVNO. So . . . the one month service amounted to just an additional cost of the phone rather than something used for service and I spent under $2 to get it unlocked.

I don't have a whole bunch of apps on it but do the things like InnoCaption and have just put Googles Live Transcribe on it.

If you don't have a phone with you, you have to set up another system like one of your family members call or text you in the morning or evening to make sure you reply back. That's we do with our parents/ in laws daily. Also, install a phone in every room, so it is accessible. I know it seems a lot, but it can't hurt to try.

The other option is to purchase few security cameras to set it up in living room, family room, dining room, kitchen, and sibling will receive a notification that there's a motion in the house. Which means that either mom or dad is alive and walking around. If it become quiet and suspicious then you can open the app and review the videos. Some may not like the idea of receiving many notifications but hey, setting this up is cheaper than their life. You know can't afford to loose them.

hmm .. good thought.. when i was at deaf expo in las vegas couple years ago - there was a alerting device there which vibrates the in house person instead of slapping the floor or flashing lights. granted it doesnt alert via text but its a standalone product. i dont remember the name .. ill have to dig thru my photos i took and see if i still have a pic on brand

Feel it's a shame that Medicare/Medicaid and Insurance companies will not pay for this service for the elderly (even those who are hearing) who are on fixed incomes and live alone...Even ILRC (Independent Living Resource Center) was no help...

Your little pet dog might help you and run to next door neighbor then barking them for alarm while you fell or fainted?.. Nah, my silly idea.

Well, in my case?...and others too...switching Insurance Companies...after talking with some...Will know more this week, as 1 company was very receptive to my inquiries about Life Alert...Have to get back with ILRC also on May 6th...to see what they have come up with (if anything). Thanks for all the responses and suggestions...if all fails?...then I will consider them.

Here's the original commercial, with CC:

Life call
Say you've fallen and have this Life Alert...you push the button...but ur deaf and cannot speak clearly...or not at all ??...When I called them, asking if the Insurance Co. would pay the bill...the guy said he was unsure about it and asked me for my credit card number...I would not give it!...then he said "well, you can try billing ur Insurance co. after you give us your credit card number"...Say what?...so I said "you're wasting mine and ur time, Sir!...All I'm asking is: if the Insurance co. will pay for it"...believe it or not, the guy hung up on me.

Say you've fallen and have this Life Alert...you push the button...but ur deaf and cannot speak clearly...or not at all ??...When I called them, asking if the Insurance Co. would pay the bill...the guy said he was unsure about it and asked me for my credit card number...I would not give it!...then he said "well, you can try billing ur Insurance co. after you give us your credit card number"...Say what?...so I said "you're wasting mine and ur time, Sir!...All I'm asking is: if the Insurance co. will pay for it"...believe it or not, the guy hung up on me.

What a tool. He wasn't doing his job.

I actually like @SneakerNet's suggestion. I can understand receiving too many notifications can be annoying.

How in the world did you expect him to know that? I do not like that he wanted a CC number before saying anything more; BUT it seems to me that like with so many things it would depend on which insurance policy you have. He does not know that so how could he be expected to answer that question?

I do not have it but if I remember right what a friend had several years ago was set to call her daughter rather than 911 or a service. If you could hit the button and have it call a person you have it set up to call with you have a code set up with them of making a certain noise by hitting something with you hand? Or if it is just a matter of not speaking clearly might they because of knowing you well be able to understand?

Back