Help for Hard of Hearing vs. An Almighty Deafy

You were no doubt sent to that thread because you are in need of an adjustment to your attitude. Post there. You will get responses. That is the appropriate thread in which to vent about your situation.

I missed my favorite psychologist! :wave:

Good to see you back, Jillio!

That goes for me, too. Welcome back, Jillio. Very happy that you are here again after your absence. :applause:

You are not the only one feeling this way deafmama.

I feel shunned from this community on the forum for just expressing my opinion on the CI. And as deafmama noted, there seems to be no place for the HOH. The 'hearies' and the 'deafies' seem to view everything in black and white, you either have 'normal' hearing or you either are deaf using sign/visual language and are nestled in the comfort of a deaf community.

I am appalled by everyone's response to deafmama's post here and I can understand her frustration. She just went through a significant ordeal of losing her hearing in adulthood and came on to the forums to seek support and perhaps talk to other people who has experienced the same tribulation. Whilst she probably could've expressed her frustrations in a more courteous manner, you all should still offer her support rather than degrade her.

There are numerous opinions and views on the issues of deafness/hearing impairment, hearing aids/cochlear implants, mainstream/deaf schooling and so on, because almost everyone has a different degree of hearing loss and a different upbringing and we all need to respect that. There is no ONE opinion concerning deafness/hearing impairment.

You are not the only one feeling this way deafmama.

I feel shunned from this community on the forum for just expressing my opinion on the CI. And as deafmama noted, there seems to be no place for the HOH. The 'hearies' and the 'deafies' seem to view everything in black and white, you either have 'normal' hearing or you either are deaf using sign/visual language and are nestled in the comfort of a deaf community.

I am appalled by everyone's response to deafmama's post here and I can understand her frustration. She just went through a significant ordeal of losing her hearing in adulthood and came on to the forums to seek support and perhaps talk to other people who has experienced the same tribulation. Whilst she probably could've expressed her frustrations in a more courteous manner, you all should still offer her support rather than degrade her.

There are numerous opinions and views on the issues of deafness/hearing impairment, hearing aids/cochlear implants, mainstream/deaf schooling and so on, because almost everyone has a different degree of hearing loss and a different upbringing and we all need to respect that. There is no ONE opinion concerning deafness/hearing impairment.

If you view that being hearing is better than being dearf, then you will get the treatment you got.

However, I have no idea what you are referring to anyway so I just made an assumptions that you made comments about CIs giving deaf people better lives. :dunno:

Everyone had a nasty response to Deafmama? Really? Wow!

And here we go again. I've already apologised IF my comments gave people that impression, and as I have said previously, I am new to the deaf culture so obviously we have to voice our opinions to see how we fit in with the rest of the community. Obviously, over time, as we learn and mingle with people of different opinions, we learn to repsect eachother. How are the new people that wish to be invovled in the deaf culture later in life (like myself and deafmama) be treated respectfully? Well it appears we can't because everything we say is immediately judged upon. We grew up with no understanding of the deaf community and its accomodations, so obviously our views and opinions are going to be stark different to those that have been involved in the deaf culture for quite a while. I would think you of all people, Shel90, would understand because you experienced this phenomen yourself.

Way to make the newbies feel welcome.

EDIT

To further my point, it's kind of like changing religions. Someone may decide to give up the religion he grew up in for a different one that he thinks will suit his needs in life better. Obviously this person isn't going to adapt straight away because he has new stuff to learn as well as shaping the beliefs and values he grew up with to a new environment/culture.

I won't reply to your comments above because I haven't read your previous posts, so I'm in the dark here.

However, in regards to the reference to deafmama, her first post blasted us for directing her to the late-deafened thread when the only intention behind that was for her to have something to read and relate to. There was nothing ill-willed about that whatsoever (the direction to that thread came from an incredibly kind lady), and we just got accused of being prejudiced instead. Many still tried to welcome her after that, and did she ever post back here? No.

What goes around comes around.

here goes again, My name is Katherine I can't find my post so excuse me if this is a repeat. I am from RI and can certainly relate a lot of these posts. I have been going deaf and are at the point now where I am caught between the hearing world and deaf world. I have two children 11 and one almost 14 who live with me. Sometimes we all get really frustrated when I can't understand what they are trying to tell me. I actually have lot of anxiety and panic attacks when I have to go out or do something. So I spend most of my time alone. I feel very alone but looking forward to getting to know some people on this site. Most people don't understand what I'm going through. Most days I try to stay positive about thing and tell myself "things could always be worse" and try to be grateful for the little things in life . Some days I just am. and some days just cry. Just trying very hard to keep my head up.

here goes again, My name is Katherine I can't find my post so excuse me if this is a repeat. I am from RI and can certainly relate a lot of these posts. I have been going deaf and are at the point now where I am caught between the hearing world and deaf world. I have two children 11 and one almost 14 who live with me. Sometimes we all get really frustrated when I can't understand what they are trying to tell me. I actually have lot of anxiety and panic attacks when I have to go out or do something. So I spend most of my time alone. I feel very alone but looking forward to getting to know some people on this site. Most people don't understand what I'm going through. Most days I try to stay positive about thing and tell myself "things could always be worse" and try to be grateful for the little things in life . Some days I just am. and some days just cry. Just trying very hard to keep my head up.

Hopefully it will get easier. People here can give you lots of good advice if you want it. :wave:

Okay, I posted a response on here to someone and was sent to the Adjusting to late term deafness or some such thread by a deafy. This thread has not been posted on for over a month! Where am I to go if I can't get help here and socialize to people on this site. Maybe you would like to send me to another one!
I find it appaulling that there is no place for me because I am not completely deaf or that I have not lived with this my whole life. Does that mean I should not be able to communicate with you? I may not have had this my whole life but I have it for the whole rest of my life! To me that is something and I would like to socialize about it. We know that no one is the same and everyone takes it differently but why do you have to be so prejudiced against us? We didn't ask for this and neither did you. It is a shame I don't fit with the hearies or the deafies! Thanks alot!

I am late deafness also. I too have had some tuff times finding people to chat with,but i think it is because i am new to this sight and dont know where everyone is chating. dont know if it will help but i go to all deaf sit and it is on face book . at the top search just put in all deaf and it will come up . I am learning signs if you want someone to chat with or sign pick me birdlady65301 spype..add me ..

also wanted to add that Mrs bottesni has offered to help me thanks to her a million .. from slow learner.. maybe i'll get the hang of this place and be able to return the favor to someone else in need. may god bless all our hands..

I am glad you found this site there are somewonderful people on here. That have a good ear.. they will listen as you type.. I am deaf on left and looseing the hearing i have also. My family had most of them turned away. but I am still here and so are you.. hope you find afriend. I can be one.. I am on skype trying to learn signs also asl.com is a wonderful place to learn birdlady65301 skype..just learning if anyone wants to put up with the slow learner..

Back