Help for Hard of Hearing vs. An Almighty Deafy

deafmama

Reaction score
Okay, I posted a response on here to someone and was sent to the Adjusting to late term deafness or some such thread by a deafy. This thread has not been posted on for over a month! Where am I to go if I can't get help here and socialize to people on this site. Maybe you would like to send me to another one!
I find it appaulling that there is no place for me because I am not completely deaf or that I have not lived with this my whole life. Does that mean I should not be able to communicate with you? I may not have had this my whole life but I have it for the whole rest of my life! To me that is something and I would like to socialize about it. We know that no one is the same and everyone takes it differently but why do you have to be so prejudiced against us? We didn't ask for this and neither did you. It is a shame I don't fit with the hearies or the deafies! Thanks alot!

Okay, I posted a response on here to someone and was sent to the Adjusting to late term deafness or some such thread by a deafy. This thread has not been posted on for over a month! Where am I to go if I can't get help here and socialize to people on this site. Maybe you would like to send me to another one!
I find it appaulling that there is no place for me because I am not completely deaf or that I have not lived with this my whole life. Does that mean I should not be able to communicate with you? I may not have had this my whole life but I have it for the whole rest of my life! To me that is something and I would like to socialize about it. We know that no one is the same and everyone takes it differently but why do you have to be so prejudiced against us? We didn't ask for this and neither did you. It is a shame I don't fit with the hearies or the deafies! Thanks alot!

Wow! That was me the deafy who sent you there. I have lots of late deaf friends who will swear I only had your best interests at heart. :lol:

I guess you are welcome. Hopefully one or two of my friends from the late deafened crowd will show up and tell you that they like it here fine .
:jaw:

What's stopping you from socializing ANYWHERE on this site?

Your second paragraph is rude. None of us have shut you out because you are not completely deaf or that you are late-deafened. You are more than welcome to communicate with us by posting on ANY thread in this forum. There are quite a few on this forum that are late-deafened and quite a few that are not completely deaf, and they post anywhere and everywhere on this forum.

And if you are disappointed that no one has posted to that specific thread in a month, you are welcome to keep it current by posting there as frequently as you wish, and if anyone has anything else to post there, they will do so. We are not prejudiced against you.

I had always considered myself late-deafened, but since coming onto AllDeaf, I found that I was hard-of-hearing since birth. I am now total deaf. AllDeaf has been a life saver for me. I was very lost and confused regarding my hearing loss. I was brought up not knowing about the Deaf Culture or anything. I never knew of any products for the deaf except hearing aids. Boy was I left in the dark. My family was told to not have me learn ASL and to not associate myself with other deaf or hoh people. That was not hard as I was mainly the only one in my small town.

Botti really does mean well. She never intentionally steps on toes or such without some serious provocation and then you will really know it. She is truly a special person in her own way. We here on AllDeaf do accept people with all degrees of hearing loss and those that have no loss but are interested in the Deaf culture. We have a lot of debates and there are times when some of what comes up seems so very "in your face" but it is all a learning experience.

Read through a lot of the threads here and learn more about us. We really don't bite or intend to make some people not want to come back. We like to educate through our life lessons. Every one of us has had something to contribute to help someone else.

your attitude is the reason why you have trouble fitting in.

c'mon. be tough. :)

Needs help

:wave:deafmama..smile, I am like you I lost my hearing overnight went to bed fine woke up profoundly deaf. 1st let me say that Botts who rreplied to you is a kind and very helpfull person so please do not misinterpret her efforts..YES I also am caught between the deaf and hearing cultures..I speak perfectly but can not even hear my own voice. It is a life changing experience, I understand and her ya..smile. I found when i attempted to chat online I was accused of faking being deaf???? right... there is certainly a seperation of attitudes about people like you and i. I went to ASL classes and was told not to speak welll...laughing..I will sign and I will never stop speaking. My creator chose to take my hearing from me for some reason and i know i have to adjust...sooooo....i can tell you i know very few deaf people personally, and depending on what area you are in ppl sign differently also. smile.. I have learned the basics of ASL and i lip read very well...so I get what you get the hearing croud are grwat with me antil i ask then to write something for me (Pardon me if my deafness inconveniences you is my usual reply..lol) and the deaf that I have met in person do not want me to speak so....you know what I do....I always have a pad and pen with me..and I tell the deaf that I meet that i am profoundly deaf, dont even hear my own voice so I will use the signing I have taught myself and pick up signs as i go along (I dont know whats wrong with me that I can not retain signing...but its true...relax..try to be who you always are and do not let ppl make you feel dumb....that deaf and dumb label does not apply to me and it seems not to you either..keep positive....smiling...and remember...with any change we all go thru seveal steps...denial, anger, barganing, lol,( I have done my share of praying) you know what i mean. But i will tell you this..change is constant, and just when you are feeling like your making progress, lol darn if something doesn't come along to change it. We either learn to adapt to change, or we become victims of it...you are no victim....keep positive ask qqs and understand that yes, your ife has been changed forever, but as hard as it is to imagine now, it could be for the better...in time..smile..Many Blessings Deafmama....Peace to you always...your friend...Midnight♥

"Unintentionally insulting late deafened people everywhere!"
Botti, you haven't insulted me yet. What's wrong, don't you like me? :giggle:

"Unintentionally insulting late deafened people everywhere!"
Botti, you haven't insulted me yet. What's wrong, don't you like me? :giggle:

:lol: You just are not sensitive enough! I will think of one for you .

Ok I will keep this short... I am late deafened I came on this site was directed to the late deafened thread... posted a few comments.... and continued on the rest of the site.... and despite my bad jokes and consistent, never ending, list of (possibly annoying) questions most people on this site have been more then welcoming and even take to the time to answer my questions... you can't isolate yourself in one thread, branch out
P.S. No reason to be defensive, pleanty of HOH and late deafened on this site you can't take one threads inactivity so personal

If you post on the late-deafened thread, people will respond. That thread gets resurrected when a new person joins or when one of us has an update. Not many updates recently...

I'm HOH/late Deafened and you'll find me all over the forum. There is no real distinction between HOH/Deaf here.

I recommend posting a introductory post in the late-deafened thread that Botti suggested. Botti is always kind enough to send newbies over there. She was the one who welcomed me. Thanks, Botti!

If you post on the late-deafened thread, people will respond. That thread gets resurrected when a new person joins or when one of us has an update. Not many updates recently...

I'm HOH/late Deafened and you'll find me all over the forum. There is no real distinction between HOH/Deaf here.

I recommend posting a introductory post in the late-deafened thread that Botti suggested. Botti is always kind enough to send newbies over there. She was the one who welcomed me. Thanks, Botti!

You are welcome. :wave:

Oh and botti is AWESOME! I love her witty comical responses, she never fails to make me giggle :)

Just wondering, when do I get that promotion to "Almighty Deafy?":laugh2:

Close enough for me! :cool2: I need to add this to my signature. :lol:

Hi! As a REAL fringe member of the community (not only am I hearing, but my child is -- horrors -- deaf with 2 CIs!), I'll chime in, too -- I don't think Botti was tossing you a dusty bone at all. That thread she pointed you to was just to give you a start here, to introduce you to many of the others with similar levels of deafness or late entry into the deaf community. But as you've noticed, although they may start there, and CI parents may start in the CI section, HA users in the HA section, etc., people tend to get comfortable and move all over the forum. Welcome! You'll love Botti, by the way ... relax, settle in, and stick around.

Hi! As a REAL fringe member of the community (not only am I hearing, but my child is -- horrors -- deaf with 2 CIs!), I'll chime in, too -- I don't think Botti was tossing you a dusty bone at all. That thread she pointed you to was just to give you a start here, to introduce you to many of the others with similar levels of deafness or late entry into the deaf community. But as you've noticed, although they may start there, and CI parents may start in the CI section, HA users in the HA section, etc., people tend to get comfortable and move all over the forum. Welcome! You'll love Botti, by the way ... relax, settle in, and stick around.

Thanks. :)

:wave:deafmama..smile, I am like you I lost my hearing overnight went to bed fine woke up profoundly deaf. 1st let me say that Botts who rreplied to you is a kind and very helpfull person so please do not misinterpret her efforts..YES I also am caught between the deaf and hearing cultures..I speak perfectly but can not even hear my own voice. It is a life changing experience, I understand and her ya..smile. I found when i attempted to chat online I was accused of faking being deaf???? right... there is certainly a seperation of attitudes about people like you and i. I went to ASL classes and was told not to speak welll...laughing..I will sign and I will never stop speaking. My creator chose to take my hearing from me for some reason and i know i have to adjust...sooooo....i can tell you i know very few deaf people personally, and depending on what area you are in ppl sign differently also. smile.. I have learned the basics of ASL and i lip read very well...so I get what you get the hearing croud are grwat with me antil i ask then to write something for me (Pardon me if my deafness inconveniences you is my usual reply..lol) and the deaf that I have met in person do not want me to speak so....you know what I do....I always have a pad and pen with me..and I tell the deaf that I meet that i am profoundly deaf, dont even hear my own voice so I will use the signing I have taught myself and pick up signs as i go along (I dont know whats wrong with me that I can not retain signing...but its true...relax..try to be who you always are and do not let ppl make you feel dumb....that deaf and dumb label does not apply to me and it seems not to you either..keep positive....smiling...and remember...with any change we all go thru seveal steps...denial, anger, barganing, lol,( I have done my share of praying) you know what i mean. But i will tell you this..change is constant, and just when you are feeling like your making progress, lol darn if something doesn't come along to change it. We either learn to adapt to change, or we become victims of it...you are no victim....keep positive ask qqs and understand that yes, your ife has been changed forever, but as hard as it is to imagine now, it could be for the better...in time..smile..Many Blessings Deafmama....Peace to you always...your friend...Midnight♥

Seems we were in the same boat!...I was hearing...went in for surgery on both ears, (6 hours on each ear at that time)...woke up the next morning and completely Deaf....Hard pill to swallow, as I was only 14 years old....

Good advise to the OP....time takes care of all hurt & sadness. And PLUS...the people here at AD are simply awesome. You will adjust, the anger will subside...good luck to you!

That thread she pointed you to was just to give you a start here, to introduce you to many of the others with similar levels of deafness or late entry into the deaf communit
Exactly! We welcome late deafened folks, but Botti was thinking that she would point you towards information and support specificly for late deaf folks!

Back