EvelynHL

Reaction score
Hi there!
I am based in the UK and I am 22!
I decided to join today because I’ve learnt that I need to become more accepting of my hearing loss, I have severe sensorineural hearing loss in both ears. I wear hearing aids in both and I’ve had a very very bumpy story with my hearing loss. I’m the only member of my family to have hearing loss, they don’t fully understand the impact of it. My mental health has been appalling ever since my teens, however I am taking the step to finally take control of it and, I guess, heal? From any trauma and bad habits I have learnt. Main one being my constant shame for my deafness, I have hidden it (most times successfully other times not so well) for my entire life. This is a very uncomfortable position for me to be in but I want to step out of my comfort zone, hopefully learn to accept, and help others and educate others.
And fulfil my dream of working in the legal world.
I am very passionate and I have held myself back for a long time.
Sorry that’s a little depressing haha, I do not know sign language (BSL/ASL) however, I will eventually be taking classes to learn BSL, I really want to provide a voice to be heard in the legal world when it’s needed, and to bring accessibility to communicating for all deaf/hard of hearing in these areas.

I’m a person that would like to make a difference, but I’m just a 22 year old in student accommodation for another year, but I’d like to at least try.

Tell me about your stories and your lessons that you have learnt! Talk to me about anything! :)

I have accepted for wht I am when was about 15 yr old ..am now 64yo..
I wouldn't let it stop me from doing anything ..
I went to a deaf school when at 14 yo and learned sign language ..
I only know the old sign language , 1976 ..never learned more beyond that ..
I am deaf in one ear and am losing whts left in my left ear ..
Will be gitting an hearing test within 2wks . See if I need new hearing ..
But it depends on the test ..if it's worth buying new ones ..I can tell am losing my hearing that is if it's just the heating aid ..if it's not worth buying new ones ..
Oh well ..at least can keep my money in my pocket ..
Nonetheless...
Your still young and alot of good years ahead of ya ..Live your life to the fullest and hope it's a great one ..you can be anything & do anything once you set your mind to it ..
And don't ever say ....CAN'T ..
Nonetheless...
Have a great day ...

Last edited:
Back