Hello!

Nevnor

Reaction score
Hello! Getting ready to crack a half-century and I'm new to HOH as of a couple years ago.

Came here with the hope of getting some direction on what to do with starting to read lips or learning ASL. My youngest daughter and I have started taking some ASL classes together and she will be taking it for her language class in High School. I hope to learn with her but I'm not sure this old dog can keep up...

Last edited:
This older dog has more trouble remembering than you, I find when in person I see a sign I don't know I remember it if just going through dictionary can't remember half, place and context help alot, and your daughter wow that's GREAT, we with memory impairment repetitive practice is a must, as for lip reading that's not real, there 36 sounds in the English language I comprehend 12 another 12 depending upon frequency seeing someone's face as they talk is the only way I can comprehend but that's not 100% there's still a lot of again please, I'm not lip reading I'm lip filling in example the word vehicle sounds to me as eagle but if I see your face I can get it, I find my self laughing to my self a lot at what I hear, know this there is ASL, PSL & SEE as an older English speaker you will be signing pigeon sign language or sign exact English for a year or forever ASL is like learning French or German or Spanish kinda but not really more like Martion but you don't have the brain injuries I have so you can do it, learn ASL and you don't have to take class to learn lip reading just practice the standards, face your speaker about 4feet good lighting limet background noise and a few others I can't remember just now

Yes, the classes have been good and fun. We try to incorporate the signs we learn into our normal language whenever we can. I wasn't able to attend one of them so my wife took her and now we have her started. We were teaching her the basics before the class and now I think she'll be joining us which will help even more!

I agree that ASL is like learning a foreign language. I'm able to perform basic sentences/statements but I struggle to speak and sign at the same time. I have to do one or the other at least for now.

The lip reading has helped some but is difficult socially. I've tried it several times during networking events since they don't know I'm HOH and I get strange responses when they see me staring at their mouth instead of making eye contact. Not working for me right now.

I can't simcon speak and sing same time it takes my brain two different ways, those who can I admire but they're not signing ASL more SEE, GREAT your wife is aboard, my nearbyer signs exact English she says English is her language so she's not going to learn another language, that's ok great she knows sign we can comprehend each outher, keep at it and let us know how your doing, if we can help were here for you

As for the social thing no help from me maybe some one else can chime in, you can dress me up but you can't take me out, ok I won't go there, good luck

Back