Hello :)

Extragalactic Mare

Reaction score
Hi, so first off, I'm neither HOH or deaf. When I was younger (from about 2 to the age of 5) I was mute and the only way I communicated was through Makaton and some baby sign language. However, when I went to school, I no longer used either and lost all of what I had learned. I would like to know if anyone has advice as to how I can relearn as well as pick up ASL. I apologize if this offends anyone (since it's sort of like, 'oh, a hearing person who wants to learn sign language when it's not a necessity) and I would greatly appreciate if anyone who feels this way could comment about it. I've been working on some ASL through youtube videos, but I was curious if there is anything that I could use in addition to help? Thank you all so much! And I will try my hardest to not be one of those people who shows up for advice one time and never revisits the forums again. :fingersx:

Do not worry about it. The need to learn ASL is ALWAYS a necessity. Welcome to the site. Also what is Makaton?? Based on deafdyke's post it seems like ASL but for another country maybe??

Huh? Where in the US uses Makaton?
I didn't realize this until I saw your message. I didn't learn Makaton specifically, but my speech therapists provided me something very similar to it. I don't remember what it was called and Makaton is the closest way I can describe it, since they're the same thing but the one I used is in the US. Apologies for the confusion

Do not worry about it. The need to learn ASL is ALWAYS a necessity. Welcome to the site. Also what is Makaton?? Based on deafdyke's post it seems like ASL but for another country maybe??
Thank you! Makaton is a way of signing that supports speech that is used in the UK. However, I'm not from the UK but I used a form of signing in addition to baby sign language very similar to Makaton, which is why I used it in my message.

Back