Hello

Cylly1

Reaction score
My name is Fatima, and I'd really love to practice my sign language skills. As of right now, I've only been practicing Sign "Exact" English and I know ASL is completely different and so much more.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Just wondering why you are learning SEE?

I wager they are practicing what we would call PSE on their own.

Bottesini said:
I wager they are practicing what we would call PSE on their own.

That would be better than SEE

I have noticed a lot of hearing people who decide to take up signing don't really understand the difference.

Well I don't have anyone to really teach ASL to me. There are classes around, but they want to me apply and pay them to learn. So, I just did it on my own :)

Ummm...ok.

Just in case you're not aware, SEE isn't actually used in the Deaf community. It's a classroom tool used to teach deaf children English writing.

If you're really interested in learning to sign, I'd urge you to look into proper ASL classes taught by native/near-native Hoh or Deaf users.

It's worth the money to learn something correctly, is actually used by the Hoh/Deaf community... (And isn't something a vast number of us actually find a bit offensive - aka SEE)

Bottesini said:

I have noticed a lot of hearing people who decide to take up signing don't really understand the difference.

I'm guessing they also don't know that for a lot of us SEE is a "bad taste in our mouths" ... Something Hearing people inflicted on us, while stripping our own Language from us (ASL/BSL etc)

よろしくですー!日本語を勉強しましたか? ( ̄ー ̄)

Welcome to the forums. I echo thoughts with the rest of the posters that SEE seems more of an instructional tool than it is for a day to day conversation... You might realize it once you compare deaf signers socializing and see which they prefer.

Okay. So, umm I appreciate the post and everything, but not everyone has the $ to learn what they want. I'm broke a** college student lol and I just really wanted to learn ASL as another one of my languages to practice. I like to connect with other people and I don't want there to be any language barrier between me learning about them. I prefer not to have a translator and learn through my own means.

-so I'm not trying to strip anyone of their language. I just don't have anyone to teach or learn with me other than what I can do on my own, in this case SEE. If I offended anyone then I apologize. I don't have money to pay for classes, because I'm saving up for my trip to Japan this fall.

-if someone wants to take pity on the broke college student, then you could teach me the correct way:D I'd be more than happy to learn

よろしくですー!日本語を勉強しましたか? ( ̄ー ̄)

Welcome to the forums. I echo thoughts with the rest of the posters that SEE seems more of an instructional tool than it is for a day to day conversation... You might realize it once you compare deaf signers socializing and see which they prefer.

I'm not exactly fluent in Japanese yet, but yes I am studying and hopefully after I return from Japan this fall I will be.

I understand that ASL and SEE are two completely different things, I just don't have anyone to practice with so I just sign songs I listen to.

はじめまして!私はりょういです。おなあえはなんですか?

I really didn't mean to offend you or anyone one here. So, I apologize. I only want to learn :)

AllDeafへようこそ..

ので嬉しい私はこれを記述する必要はありません...
だから、愚かな1ですか?
-------------
Just noticing the translation back to English is no good..

"write" is translated with "describe" and "silly" with "stupid"...

I'm not exactly fluent in Japanese yet, but yes I am studying and hopefully after I return from Japan this fall I will be.

はじめまして!私はりょういです。おなあえはなんですか?
Sounds awesome. I've studied on and off for awhile, but still have yet to visit Tokyo sometime. My cousin's pretty fluent in it, although it is not our native language. You can just call me Vic. :)

I understand that ASL and SEE are two completely different things, I just don't have anyone to practice with so I just sign songs I listen to.
It's cool to learn, once you meet real people (especially deafened sign users) your learning speed will go really fast in matter of days.

ので嬉しい私はこれを記述する必要はありません...
だから、愚かな1ですか?
What are you trying to say? I don't understand the grammar used in it.

My name is Fatima, and I'd really love to practice my sign language skills. As of right now, I've only been practicing Sign "Exact" English and I know ASL is completely different and so much more.

Just curious... If you know ASL is "completely different and so much more" why aren't you learning ASL?

Back