Hello there!

ErinC

Reaction score
Salutations! I'm Erin and I live in Michigan. I have moderate/severe haring loss with progression and wear hearing aids in both ears, though when I'm not at work, I prefer not to. I'm trying to connect with other HoH and deaf/Deaf people...I've always been a bit isolated and just moved to a new town and feel a bit lost. Not deaf enough and not hearing enough...kind of in limbo.
I'm always up for conversation!

Hi Erin,

I totally understand how you feel. I used to live in Grand Rapid for a year when I was a younger. I have a few deaf friends who are from Michigan. Hope if you don't mind me asking a few questions. How long you been in Michigan? What town did you move to? Maybe have deaf events in your area you can check out on Facebook group or contact your deaf friends if they know about it. Good luck! If you want to be my new friend can feel free to contact me anytime @ErinC ! :)

Salutations! I'm Erin and I live in Michigan. I have moderate/severe haring loss with progression and wear hearing aids in both ears, though when I'm not at work, I prefer not to. I'm trying to connect with other HoH and deaf/Deaf people...I've always been a bit isolated and just moved to a new town and feel a bit lost. Not deaf enough and not hearing enough...kind of in limbo.
I'm always up for conversation!

Excellent. There is an ASL event every Tuesday at River Town Mall, in Grand Rapids Buses go right there. Starts at 6. Very friendly
That's the one thing I have found!! I get up for work very early, so I haven't gone.. maybe I should!

Hey there and welcome! I consider myself HoH. I'm on the low side of profoundly Deaf in one ear and severely Deaf in the other, I have a BAHA on the side with profound Deafness and wear a hearing aid on the other. I grew up going to speech and using an FM system in class along and occasionally had an aid (in elementary and middle school I got my BAHA in high school and didn't need one anymore) who signed, but not full ASL it was signed English. Did you grow up using ASL?

I sometimes feel lost between hearing and Deaf, like I'm stuck in this weird middle limbo where I'm too Deaf for hearing and too hearing for Deaf ha ha. Let me know if you ever want to chat! Do you have Glide?

Hey there and welcome! I consider myself HoH. I'm on the low side of profoundly Deaf in one ear and severely Deaf in the other, I have a BAHA on the side with profound Deafness and wear a hearing aid on the other. I grew up going to speech and using an FM system in class along and occasionally had an aid (in elementary and middle school I got my BAHA in high school and didn't need one anymore) who signed, but not full ASL it was signed English. Did you grow up using ASL?

I sometimes feel lost between hearing and Deaf, like I'm stuck in this weird middle limbo where I'm too Deaf for hearing and too hearing for Deaf ha ha. Let me know if you ever want to chat! Do you have Glide?
I don't have Glide, though it seems like I should look into it!!
No, I was raised oral. I've always been very isolated with only a few friends. Last year I started the endeavor of learning ASL, had a tutor for a while, but it was very expensive. It's hard to become more familiar and fluent when I'm not actually conversing with HoH or d/Deaf people!
I'd love to chat!

I'm in the same boat (living in Grand Rapids, I'm usually downtown daily during the day as I go to GRCC and work there as a student employee). Bilateral hearing loss, severe to profound, hearing aid user, raised orally with speech therapy. And while I've taken 4 semesters of ASL, the lack of practice over the last two years made me lose a lot of it.

My biggest issue is I do not drive, so my meet ups if I'm lucky to have someone to meet up with tends to be restricted to the downtown area or reliant on the other person to drive.

It's been awhile since I been to the Rivertown social days as I tend to be working or in class though days/times. (A friend of mine online pointed me out to this thread when I was just talking about nearly the same thing)

...and here I felt all alone! I should make it up there sometime!!
Yes! Meet up with both Karl and the ASL meet up.... Talking with others who grew up oral and mainstreamed to the max is AMAZING.......

Back