Hello Newbie from Arkansas

yeasandi76

Reaction score
:confused: I personally am not hearing impaired but both my parents were deaf and mute. Currently I just have my mother.

This is why I am on here for help for her. It's sad how the deaf is neglected, the state of Arkansas has a large school for the Deaf and Blind but they have no resources for their alumni. There are a lot of Deaf in this state and NO ONE is equipped to communicate with them.

I am currently looking for an Life Alert type system for my mother but from the things I've read there is not one out there for the Deaf.

ASL is no different than Spanish but we concentrate too much on that language and forget about our own second language.

:confused: I personally am not hearing impaired but both my parents were deaf and mute. Currently I just have my mother.

This is why I am on here for help for her. It's sad how the deaf is neglected, the state of Arkansas has a large school for the Deaf and Blind but they have no resources for their alumni. There are a lot of Deaf in this state and NO ONE is equipped to communicate with them.

I am currently looking for an Life Alert type system for my mother but from the things I've read there is not one out there for the Deaf.

ASL is no different than Spanish but we concentrate too much on that language and forget about our own second language.

First of all don't use hearing impaired it is rude in the sense like there need to be fixed, it is either deaf or hard of hearing and deaf mute is just mean

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Society is going back to the Dark ages where there were no accommodations and ASL. Society think that there is CIs that could benefit the deaf children to be able to speak and read lips very fluently. They have decided not to use accommodations any longer. Maybe there might be few around if you can find them.

What I am saying that hearing people are wrong that CIs benefit them to be miracles and don't have to worry about learning to sign ASL so that they can sign with their Deaf child or children. They are hoping that the deaf children will be like them (hearing people). This idea of fixing deaf children or adults are not going to work because they don't get it. We are used to being deaf and most often this don't fix which will become failure. The deaf and hard of hearing children had to suffered because of ignorance and not listening to the deaf child's needs.

Now your mother will not be getting accommodations because of the society's ignorance of Elder's needs. A lot of deaf Elders like me would love to go into the Deaf nursing home where we can sign to each other with ease. There is one in Arizona but HUD is making the rules for them and cutting some of the Deaf Elders out of the apartment or nursing home so that the hearing Elders would move in with them. Pretty soon there will be no Deaf in the nursing home. That was wrong of HUD do that. The Deaf Elders are fighting for their rights to live in the nursing home (no hearing) so that they don't have to be left out when meeting for conversations. There are lots of nursing homes which mostly are hearing Elders but have disabilities (not deafness and probably blindness) or could not take care of themselves. As for the d/Deaf, that is very difficult if we could not converse into making conversations with hearing people.

This is just my opinion of what to do to help d/Deaf Elders. :(

Man.... this hearing impaired thing good grief! :squint: Your parents were deaf and you still use that term?? Jeeze.... It's popping up everywhere!!! I feel like I need to go soak in a bath or something now.... :squint: Is this something that's taking trend now or people are just becoming okay with... what am I missing!?! :confused: :squint: :mad2:

My last primary care physician put "DEAF-MUTE" right at the very top of my patient file, all in capitals above my name! That phrase irritates me to no end, as it's rather insulting to the D/HH community in terms of communication and intelligence.

Not to mention I don't take kindly to "hearing impaired" either. It's such an old-fashioned label from a medical perspective and it doesn't accurately reflect the fact that the D/HH community has a living and evolving culture, a rich and beautiful language, and is intricate as a whole.

Back