Hello! new here, just introducing myself :)

Nix Snow

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I generally prefer to go by Nix. I'm 30, live in Michigan and I am hearing, but trying to learn ASL.

That being said, I'll try to briefly explain. I'm not trying to learn because it's 'cool' or whatever the kids say. I'm too old for the next 'in thing'. Lol

When I was 17, I was dating someone whose parents were deaf. I knew to face them and enunciate my words, but... I never cared to communicate. (I was a bit of a jerk back then.) Since then, I've moved hours away and kinda come out of my shell. I recently went to a church where there is an interpreter. I don't know why, but... From where I sat, I started picking up some words. I've spoken with the interpreter once, and I just wished that I could communicate with her and the women that she interprets for. I've since taken some classes on Memrise, and got a job at the local tool store. While there, I've bumped into 2 deaf people, and it made me feel bad just watching how everyone reacts. They wouldn't look them in the eye, or they'd hurry and walk away. I never quite realized how many people out there use ASL, and how vast the deaf community is. It makes me want to be able to better communicate instead of being like everyone else who won't even try. :/ I felt awful only really knowing 'Thank you' and to wave 'Goodbye' but the gentleman smiled at me and I think he was just glad to see I was trying. (Or it could've been my imagination and he thought I was crazy, haha)

Anyways! So that's where I stand. My ASL vocabulary is probably like that of a toddler, but I'm trying to get there and I'd love to learn more about this vast community. Thank you so much, and you all have a wonderful day! :)

Last edited:
:welcome:

BTW, "interpreter," is preferred over translator. Interpreters interpret sign-to-voice or voice-to-sign. "Translator" usually refers to someone who translates text-to-text. :)

Welcome Nix! Thank you for sharing with us your thoughts. That’s wonderful that you are trying to learn ASL! You are making an effort and want to learn more about the deaf culture and resources. Smile.

There are many deaf events and places where you could meet and practice your signing. One thought I have. Actually my deaf husband is originally from Michigan and he used to go to Birmingham Redeemer Church with a group of deaf people and several interpreters. They are wonderful people! It’s a good place where you can make new friends and learn about the deaf world. I have the link for you to check it out. http://www.elms-deaf.org/other-congregations/

Also you mentioned wanted to learn about the deaf culture. I have an attachment and it explain more about the deaf world and faith from a Christian perspective. It’s a great material!

I’m here if you would like to talk more. You have a wonderful day! God’s blessings.

Attachments

• Spitting Jesus and other stories May 2017.pdf
    412.1 KB · Views: 4
Welcome Nix! Thank you for sharing with us your thoughts. That’s wonderful that you are trying to learn ASL! You are making an effort and want to learn more about the deaf culture and resources. Smile.

There are many deaf events and places where you could meet and practice your signing. One thought I have. Actually my deaf husband is originally from Michigan and he used to go to Birmingham Redeemer Church with a group of deaf people and several interpreters. They are wonderful people! It’s a good place where you can make new friends and learn about the deaf world. I have the link for you to check it out. http://www.elms-deaf.org/other-congregations/

Also you mentioned wanted to learn about the deaf culture. I have an attachment and it explain more about the deaf world and faith from a Christian perspective. It’s a great material!

I’m here if you would like to talk more. You have a wonderful day! God’s blessings.

Ooh, thank you! Birmingham is about an hour away from me, but if I'm not working I could probably go 1 Sunday a month and that won't break the bank :p

Thank you also for the attachment. I haven't looked at it yet, but I'll definitely check it out after I reply. Thank you so, so much! :)

I was actually having a rough day, so this just made me smile. :) Have a wonderful day!

You are welcome Nix! I’m sorry to hear that you were having a rough day. Hope today is a better day for you. :)

I’m not sure where do you live in MI but there’s another church that they have a deaf Bible study and that’s at Our Savior Lutheran Church in Hartland. I know a quite a few people there as well at Birmingham. We went to both churches before and we plan to go there again this month for our annual family Christmas gathering. We both really enjoy reconnecting people there since we live out of state.

I’m here if you have questions or just need someone to vent after having a bad day.

Enjoy your day Nix!

God’s blessings

You are welcome Nix! I’m sorry to hear that you were having a rough day. Hope today is a better day for you. :)

I’m not sure where do you live in MI but there’s another church that they have a deaf Bible study and that’s at Our Savior Lutheran Church in Hartland. I know a quite a few people there as well at Birmingham. We went to both churches before and we plan to go there again this month for our annual family Christmas gathering. We both really enjoy reconnecting people there since we live out of state.

I’m here if you have questions or just need someone to vent after having a bad day.

Enjoy your day Nix!

God’s blessings
It's been much better and I'll keep you in mind if I ever need to vent, thank you so much. :)

I live downriver. Flat Rock area. I've tried looking for things here and there's practically nothing, at least not that I can find. Hartland is also about an hour away. I don't know when I'll get a chance to drive out, but I'll keep both in mind. The one I go to right now is in Trenton (I think) so I'll ask around tomorrow and see what else I can find in the area, too.

Also, thank you so much for the file! It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be. I'm about halfway through it. I've been reading just a couple pages here and there between work and stuff. It's already been pretty eye opening. I don't think I'll ever be able to fully understand, but it's been really helpful, so thank you again. :)

You are welcome! I’m glad to hear that you are doing better! :) I see that you are from Flat Rock area. That is south of Detroit and by Lake Erie. FYI, I just got a message from MI Pastor today that there will be Christmas Eve worship on Dec. 24th at 11:30 a.m. in Flint (at St. Paul). Also Christmas Day service at 10 a.m. in Hartland, MI at Our Savior Lutheran Church. It will be interpreted. I’m not quite sure which one we will go. LOL. I totally understand that it’s far away for you but it’s good to have the information.

About the file, just take your time. Yes it’s pretty eye opening! Glad that it’s helpful.

Enjoy your evening! Keeping you in my prayer.

You are welcome! I’m glad to hear that you are doing better! :) I see that you are from Flat Rock area. That is south of Detroit and by Lake Erie. FYI, I just got a message from MI Pastor today that there will be Christmas Eve worship on Dec. 24th at 11:30 a.m. in Flint (at St. Paul). Also Christmas Day service at 10 a.m. in Hartland, MI at Our Savior Lutheran Church. It will be interpreted. I’m not quite sure which one we will go. LOL. I totally understand that it’s far away for you but it’s good to have the information.

About the file, just take your time. Yes it’s pretty eye opening! Glad that it’s helpful.

Enjoy your evening! Keeping you in my prayer.
I keep a lot of plans saved in the calendar on my tablet so I won't forget. Flint is near some friends of mine so I might be able to visit them and go in the morning to lessen the drive a bit, but I think I'm swaying more toward Hartland. I'll save both though so I don't forget and so long as I don't have to work I'll try to go to one of those. Feel free to shoot me a message if you decide which one you're going to. :) I'll message you when I get my schedule for that week.

Thanks for letting me know about those. :) Have a great night!

Hello again! I was sick with a flu yesterday. It's no fun being sick but I thank to the Lord that today is a better day. :) That’s a good idea to save it in your calendar on your tablet. I do the same but I put both in my iphone and calendar booklet, an old fashion way!

Let you know that my husband and I plan to be at the Hartland Church for sure. That’s on Christmas Day at 10 a.m. at Our Savior Lutheran Church. The address is: 13667 W. Highland Road, Hartland, MI 48353. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any question or can messaging me private.

God’s blessings!

Hello again! I was sick with a flu yesterday. It's no fun being sick but I thank to the Lord that today is a better day. :) That’s a good idea to save it in your calendar on your tablet. I do the same but I put both in my iphone and calendar booklet, an old fashion way!

Let you know that my husband and I plan to be at the Hartland Church for sure. That’s on Christmas Day at 10 a.m. at Our Savior Lutheran Church. The address is: 13667 W. Highland Road, Hartland, MI 48353. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any question or can messaging me private.

God’s blessings!
Ooh, that's no good... :( I hope you'll feel better soon!

I don't think my work is open Christmas, so I should be going to the Hartland one as well. I'll let you know if anything changes and I can't go for any reason. :)

Again, I hope you feel better!! God bless :)

Thanks Nix! I feel about 90% better today. Just a little coughing. There’s a flu going around here.

Ok thanks for letting me know about going to Hartland. I just went to church this morning (my husband wasn’t feeling good so he didn’t go with me) and it was good to hear about God’s Word – Love. Everything was signed in ASL so that helps. We do have some hearing people so someone voice for them so they aren’t feeling alone or lost.

We’re having a Christmas Family party later today at church. So that should be fun! We’re expecting over 100 people!

You have a blessed day! I’m glad that we’re keeping in touch.

Thanks Nix! I feel about 90% better today. Just a little coughing. There’s a flu going around here.

Ok thanks for letting me know about going to Hartland. I just went to church this morning (my husband wasn’t feeling good so he didn’t go with me) and it was good to hear about God’s Word – Love. Everything was signed in ASL so that helps. We do have some hearing people so someone voice for them so they aren’t feeling alone or lost.

We’re having a Christmas Family party later today at church. So that should be fun! We’re expecting over 100 people!

You have a blessed day! I’m glad that we’re keeping in touch.
Sorry I haven't been around for a bit. Been working a bunch and chaos for my family. Long story, but I guess my mom almost died. Her intestines were shutting down and her heart was fluttering and got to a heart rate of 180. There's more to it, but it was super scary. Thank God that he answered my prayers and she's recovering well.

I'm still planning to go to Hartland on Monday. Figured I'd update so you didn't think I just up and disappeared. Things are starting to get better and finally calm back down. I'll see you Monday! Have a blessed Christmas and a wonderful Christmas weekend. :) Stay safe, the shoppers are getting crazy out there!

Glad to hear from you! I'm sorry to hear about your mom's health but glad the Lord answered your prayers. I'll keep her in my prayer. :)

Yes we are still planning on going to Hartland church this coming Monday. Hopefully you'll recognize my face. That's why I changed my profile so you know what I look like. :) We'll leave tomorrow for about 6 hours drive to MI. Please pray for our safe journey. I would appreciate that.

Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas! Drive safe. Thanks for the message tonight. :)

Glad to hear from you! I'm sorry to hear about your mom's health but glad the Lord answered your prayers. I'll keep her in my prayer. :)

Yes we are still planning on going to Hartland church this coming Monday. Hopefully you'll recognize my face. That's why I changed my profile so you know what I look like. :) We'll leave tomorrow for about 6 hours drive to MI. Please pray for our safe journey. I would appreciate that.

Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas! Drive safe. Thanks for the message tonight. :)
Thank you for the prayers, and I'll definitely keep you in mine to get to Michigan safe! :) It's supposed to snow today and tomorrow according to my app, so drive safe! :)

Back