Hello. My name is Ty.

Catastrophic

Reaction score
Hello my name is Ty. I only just came across this site a few days ago. I am hearing and taking ASL. I have come to really love ASL and seem to pick it up somewhat easy. I am still new to it though. I actually live really close to CSDR and have been there a few times.
I started taking ASL for an odd reason probably. I mean it is always good to know another language or form of communication sure, but I started taking it because I have never found the woman of my dreams. I have come close to just giving up thinking maybe she just does not exist. Then I thought maybe she is deaf? So I took up ASL.
After that, I kind of just fell in love with it. I like learning about the history, and learning ASL itself. I think it is great to open up a new door in my life. I realized the reason I started was kind of lame, but you never know right? lol. If the girl that was right for me was deaf, I would still love her with every ounce of my being.
Well I guess that is my intro :dunno: It would be cool to get to know some people and expand my horizons :)

Welcome! You didn't sound dumb at all; you actually sounded quite sweet! Everything happens for a reason, so just stay positive and you'll find and get what you want in life! ^_^

Gotta start somewhere. . . :) It wasnt all bad besides its always good to see guys motivated to learn sign language. Even if you think you see a career of being an interpreter in your future, I still chuckle at hearing stories sometimes from guys who prefer to have male interpreters for some situations instead of with female interpreter. :)

Hope you find what you're looking for. If she's somewhere here on AD.com or wherever closeby! :) Wish ya luck and all the good things to come head your way! :)

Question. In my ASL class, I am one in only 3 guys out of like 35 people. Is it mostly female based, or is this just my class? I was kind of surprised.

Hmm... I'd have to find that video Keith Wann did about the comparison of boys and girls learning ASL..

Usually its women who want to learn languages especially sign language. While guys sometimes seem to want a more hands on career or where they like to be the boss or in charge of something (something to do with male egos? no offense! :) ) such as lawyer, boss of a dept., football player, etc.

So not too many will jump to the idea of "hey I would like a career where I do nothing but stand on my feet and sign for a Deaf person for hours!"

Ah. Well at the moment I fully intend to make my way all the through the ranks of ASL> I love it actually.

Wirelessly posted

That's great :) keep it up -- I actually like seeing people genuinely motivated to stick with it for life.

I'm sure many people can relate being bumped in the street by someone who goes "hey I know ASL! " and it's hardly any better than ASL 1 students :-p

Nice to have ASL pride but its even better when it's for real not just beginner stage ;-)

Lol I love Keith's show.
I am only in ASL 1... Sounds pathetic I know, but I have no intentions of stopping if that means anything :D lol

Not pathetic at all. I have no idea what level I'm at. I learned quite a bit through a CODA I knew for a project, and sometimes my mom will sign with me, but from lack of having people to practice with, my ASL sucks xD I plan on becoming fluent, though.

Question. In my ASL class, I am one in only 3 guys out of like 35 people. Is it mostly female based, or is this just my class? I was kind of surprised.

It seem to be common, but who cares! It makes you special and awesome. We could uses more unique guys like you! :D

Know what? Often I was the only one or one of very few girls in my major classes, but who cares! I graduated with flying colors.

Alas for me it is not common to meet female FPS player. I enjoy playing FPS game and I do make my opponents aware I am a girl just for fun. :laugh2:

Ignore "society norms", and go for it, do expands your horizons. :)

I was a teacher aide for ASL class few times. I even got asked to help a friend who was an ASL teacher aide.

That ratio is quite normal. As matter of fact, that is surprising that there were 3 males. I would have sworn that there were only 1!!! That was like 14 years ago. I guess things change over time.

Lol that's cool. I was worried about it or anything. I was just curious. One of the other guys from my glass actually dropped also. So it's just me and another now.

We only have one guy in our class currently, but we do have two male teachers so I thought that was cool. Welcome! I'm just starting out myself, I just start my intermediate class last night!

Back