Hello! May I get some help?

dlt

Reaction score
First I would like to say if me being here is offensive, just let me know and I won't return.
I am not deaf, maybe technically hard of hearing.
My "handicap" is that I am unable to physically speak; those parts of my mouth have been removed.

What I need help with is how do I communicate with Social Security or anybody else with a landline phone. Examples are as following.
1) I have emailed Social Security several times saying I need to make an appointment, but I am not able to talk; so I can not call them. In the emails I have also stated I don't know how to use TTY because I have not been shown. Every time I get a return email telling me to make an appointment by phone.
2) I am out of town and my truck breaks down; so I need a tow service. How do I call one?

Thanks for any help given to me.

First I would like to say if me being here is offensive, just let me know and I won't return.
My "handicap" is that I am unable to physically speak; those parts of my mouth have been removed.

What I need help with is how do I communicate with Social Security or anybody else with a landline phone. Examples are as following.
1) I have emailed Social Security several times saying I need to make an appointment, but I am not able to talk; so I can not call them. In the emails I have also stated I don't know how to use TTY because I have not been shown. Every time I get a return email telling me to make an appointment by phone.
2) I am out of town and my truck breaks down; so I need a tow service. How do I call one?

check out your state's free phone products that might help you out.

here's a page for people with speech impediments

do you have a smartphone? I think its possible to use text messaging to a road service. And of course the relay service if you download an app.

Try out https://www.sprintrelay.com/services/speech-speech

hope that helps :)

Thanks for all the help offered, but I don't have the muscles to form any speech and that sprint service is not offered in Georgia.

Thanks for all the help offered, but I don't have the muscles to form any speech and that sprint service is not offered in Georgia.
okay I found your state's relay service and the hearing Carry- Over (HCO) relay might be helpful that means you might need to get a TTY device.

https://georgiarelay.org/services/hco-hearing-carry-over/

equipment

There are text to speech apps but I am not sure which ones are good.
if you have a smartphone there is a TTY mode in the phone settings. I haven't used it yet but that's another possiblity.

There is nothing offensive. Set a while take a load off.

There are deaf Adults and some boys and girls growing up that are better off not to have a voice. Once in a blue moon we would coax someone to try and use it long ago and then realize really fast thats not the sound acceptable in what Hearing would consider normal. Thats why some deaf do not use voice.

You say you have had your voice worked on and thats the end of that. So landlines are out.

What I do myself at home is keep a account with Deaf Relay online over the internet. If I needed to outbound a very important call that will definately be a battlefield with SSA etc. I would use relay. To me I chat with operator who uses voice phones. In difficult calls they change to other operators to equally share the stress. I forget how many years I have been with them.

I don't take voice calls period. The reason being is that smart phone does not display exactly who is calling, what outfit they are with if any and address of that person. Nothing. Just a strange number. It gets blocked. Its usually scammers thankfully. Once from each of them is quite enough. They must think I am some kind of stupid or nailed down.

However, I have used relay in serious medical issues requiring ambulance to the local Law, they are aware of me and its not the first time they get that kind of a call. It gets taken care of fast. Life may depend on it.

Anything else not time critical gets mail. The writing kind. The old fashioned pre-internet pen and paper. And stamps and a box of envelopes once every few years. Usually bills. Not too many of those anymore.

What did I do in trucking? Well we used pay phones and I knew my dispatcher by voice almost better than I knew my family in a way. Everything depends on understanding exactly going to A to get what and deliver to B and when and what day. And how much weight and so on etc etc etc etc. It can take two hours on payphone before I have enough information to move a 18 wheeler a inch. Not until then.

Fast forward to 1994, We got satellite communications and it's just like the old TTY system the teletype format. In digital font in text what we call texting today goes to a satellite 25600 miles above mexico then to San Diego then to the trucking company and back. I have chatted with it with friends on the internet before at my cost back home (Something like 25 cents every 5 words)

Many wonderful things to today with texting pretty much eliminates the trouble with voice calls. Particularly again when whoever is calling, if they are not listed in your contact list they get blocked. It could be the President, but I would not know. He will get blocked too. Because I don't know who and why they are calling, again its usually scamming calls. So it's junk.

Back to Relay. ALL people in the USA who has a landline pays a few cents a month to keep the Relay system going for those of us who cannot hear, cannot TALK like you, the OP.... and have other issues as well. Word Comprehension and so on plays in it.

I remember one call to Dish Network. I warned the Relay Operator before calling that this call is strictly about closing the account pernamently and it might get stressful but I will be very simple and nice. No bad things really. Operator made the call. Dish phone center person went into some kind of script for this, that, something else etc... HOLD IT.... listen carefully Dish "What part of close account do you NOT understand?"

Silence. Then they transferred me to a supervisor. Super tried to give me a less price for account etc. I cut him off saying what part of close account do you not understand? By this time the relay operators were laughing. Turned a horrible customer service battle call to one simple question and very few minutes for who I am, account number and any refund. Thank you very much. Closed. Snipped. (Sliced rather...) I suppose Dish hates me now. As well they should.

Poor operators. They go through so much in relay. But that is what they are there for. Good luck!

There’s been a lot of great replies I hope that you’re able to get some help.
I also looked and found this for you...

“Georgia relay is a free public service provided by the state of Georgia to meet communicating by telephone accessible and reliable for everyone including people who are deaf hard of hearing deaf blind or difficulty speaking“

www.georgiarelay.org

I wish you all the luck

okay I found your state's relay service and the hearing Carry- Over (HCO) relay might be helpful that means you might need to get a TTY device.

equipment

if you have a smartphone there is a TTY mode in the phone settings. I haven't used it yet but that's another possiblity.
There is nothing offensive. Set a while take a load off.

There are deaf Adults and some boys and girls growing up that are better off not to have a voice. Once in a blue moon we would coax someone to try and use it long ago and then realize really fast thats not the sound acceptable in what Hearing would consider normal. Thats why some deaf do not use voice.

You say you have had your voice worked on and thats the end of th

equipment

I just realized I shared the same link oops.

those parts of my mouth have been removed.

First off, always ask for a LEVEL 2 OPERATOR, and when you get one, be ASSERTIVE and relay ARTICULATED words, no need to mention any "handicap", to a stranger. Once you find a "Human" voice to communicate with, they will usually give you their name, and say, "how may I help you"?, and that sets you on a good path with this person's voice. If a listener is confused and "quick", and "stubborn", just relay, "thank you", and hang up. Keep searching. Getting the "proper" information over the phone is so important, and It's up to you and yours to "weed out" the "uncaring voices".
I've found that the first sentence is most important, If it's long winded, people get bored right away, and miss any point you're trying to make. If it is too short, same same, people get bored. I always "snap" people out of it, by standing up straight, and using my eyes and hands to say,
"how are YOU gonna' act?", then I listen, and watch.
Using eyes and ears better, (even bad ears), is good practice, (and it does take practice) the spoken voice eh.. not so much. If your vocal chords are intact, try humming your favorite melodies (almost like Ohm Chanting) and practice "getting in tune", (tuning forks are amazing things), with out trying to "vocalize". When you listen to music, hear the "overtones", because that's where the good harmonies lay. The Native American Flute is perfectly adapted to one's, "spontaneous" breath, no vocal chords needed.
I have a friend who's mother is a musician, plays a flute in an orchestra, and is deaf. He said as a child, he always listened intently to her "tuning" her instrument. Your mouth can not form words any more, but your vocal chords seem intact to do other things. We all take "being in tune" for granted, but when you practice, you'll find your own tuning, but you have to do the work.
Three places to look at people, when they are in front of you, or even on a skreen, (check out, "THE SCREENS", by Gregg Hurwitz, great Essay), the corners of their mouth, the corners of their eyes, and their hairline. These places show a true measure.
We may be "handicapped" in one area, but the other human senses, can get much stronger, if only we just open up new pathways for our brain, and not our mouth.

"look em' in the eye, and stand up straight"

stay safe out there.

As far as senses go, the big one is the skin. If I put a big rig onto a weak bridge I know and feel the bridge hurting already. Thats quite enough of that before we lose the bridge. They behave in certain ways. What you do not want is to feel them quit moving. They are well on their way to breaking and its your fault. It can kill you or someone else. Or several someones.

I get too tuned to the land and sometimes I feel the bad weather from below before I hear it. Its inconvenient. But left over from trucking where the air-ride suspension tells me everything. Whats really fun is earthquakes. You can "Hear" them through your own body before the whole thing gets to rocking and rolling. In the west it's sand and dirt etc. You rock and roll. In the east it's solid rock, you hear and feel it as a very HUGE ocean wave passing miles below you through the solid rock as it travels away from the quake. We had one in Allentown PA and we were at our house in Maryland with 3 minutes warning and that wave passed under coming and going with that doppler and thump kicking the place about half a inch. It made it all the way to Richmond before dissipating.

I try not to worry about the big stuff. New Madrid for instance. Where we are if a 8.0 snaps its going to be a minimum of 6000 dead and two to three times that out of 25000 in my town alone. Little Rock has about 125,000 if not more in workers. They would lose half outright. The ground would displace 20 feet up and down as well as move 30 feet minimum in any horizonal direction. All you can do then is pray.

Put another way, there will be half a million badly hurt and there isnt enough hospital beds in the USA for all of them and they expect St Louis and Memphis to not exist anymore with the added price of the east coast facing starvation until the river bridges are replaced in months or a year to get trucking and trains going.

However enough bad stuff. The good stuff? A DJ with the hits on a big enough Marshall turned to 11. Shake the building inside and out. The bigger the better. Some of those big speaker boxes are almost as tall as a man and twice as wide in some cases.

Back