Hello i'm new here

Reaction score
I said "Mom, something's wrong with me, I mean really, really wrong. I can't follow group conversations, I can't join in, I don't fit in". Mom said "Dear, there's nothing wrong with you, you're just shy". That's the conversation we had when I was six years old. I am now 54. As far as I can tell, I've had APD since at least that time, and that plus "moderate" hearing loss (as tested by an audiologist in a quiet, ideal listening setting, but in real life I have severe hearing loss) since my late teens. This looks like a place that "gets" what it means to live with one or both of these things. I look forward to meeting many of you, and I hope I can learn a lot and contribute even more.

Welcome:)
I totally understand where you are coming from. I knew something was off with my hearing when I was younger. They just said mild hearing loss. But I found out at 18 I had apd.

I said "Mom, something's wrong with me, I mean really, really wrong. I can't follow group conversations, I can't join in, I don't fit in". Mom said "Dear, there's nothing wrong with you, you're just shy". That's the conversation we had when I was six years old. I am now 54. As far as I can tell, I've had APD since at least that time, and that plus "moderate" hearing loss (as tested by an audiologist in a quiet, ideal listening setting, but in real life I have severe hearing loss) since my late teens. This looks like a place that "gets" what it means to live with one or both of these things. I look forward to meeting many of you, and I hope I can learn a lot and contribute even more.

I'm feeling the same way now. I'm 17 years old, and I just take random guesses. My mother says it's all in my head and a doctor gave me pills for an infection. Nothing helps, and I haven't seen a doctor since.

Welcome:)
I totally understand where you are coming from. I knew something was off with my hearing when I was younger. They just said mild hearing loss. But I found out at 18 I had apd.
Thanks for the welcome. Are you doing anything to help you deal with the APD?

I'm feeling the same way now. I'm 17 years old, and I just take random guesses. My mother says it's all in my head and a doctor gave me pills for an infection. Nothing helps, and I haven't seen a doctor since.
Either your brain works to your potential or it doesn't. If you feel that it doesn't then it doesn't. It is so hard for a parent to understand what we are going through. If they won't/can't advocate for us then we must find somebody who will or try to solve our problem on our own. That is where I'm at right now.

Learning ASL while having APD...now THAT sounds like a challenge.
I personally found it was pretty easy. I learned from the Deaf at my local Deaf school and a class at a community college with a Deaf teacher. Learning in high school at that by a hearing teacher was harder. My class mates always talked vocally instead of learning so I felt behind socially with class mates but my teacher would tall to me on sign so it made it better. I prefer learning from the Deaf because I don't have to use my voice, or guess words.

Back