Hello I plan on being an interpreter

Neptune

Reaction score
Hey everyone this is Trey. :wave:
I plan on being an interpreter in Florida.

I haven't started the program yet. But I've been looking online and practicing the basics. Are there any tips or advice that I can use to help me? The main thing I'm concerned about is the spelling or being really bad :shock:

:welcome:

Number 1 tip: attend a college ITP.
Number 2 tip: get involved with your local Deaf community.

Welcome.

Exaclty what Reba said. :)

The key is to get involved with Deaf community to see if you want to continue being an interpreter or not. :)

Welcome.

Exaclty what Reba said. :)

The key is to get involved with Deaf community to see if you want to continue being an interpreter or not. :)
True. Do not become an interpreter if:

1. you patronize deaf people (poor things, I can help them)

2. you are afraid of deaf people (they can smell fear and will pounce on you)

True. Do not become an interpreter if:

1. you patronize deaf people (poor things, I can help them)

2. you are afraid of deaf people (they can smell fear and will pounce on you)

:laugh2: @ #2 :laugh2: Like TIGERS! :D :laugh2: lol okay okay...

Hey, Florida is the place to terp it up though, I know the deaf community here is quite large! Yeah, the patronizing thing will just get you pounced on like being scared... :laugh2:

Yeah, I want to be an interpreter, but what I've noticed is a lot of interpreters student don't involve themselves much with the Deaf. I mean I saw at an event at my school all the interpreter students sat around talking with each other when I would have gone and spoken with some of the Deaf students who were around. So I'm a strong believer in involvement in the Deaf community. I mean my friend mom interpreted at a church and she always thought about Deaf culture when signing a joke only hearing people would find funny. So, hope this helps and also going to a college interpreter program is a must of course.

Hey everyone this is Trey. :wave:
I plan on being an interpreter in Florida.

I haven't started the program yet. But I've been looking online and practicing the basics. Are there any tips or advice that I can use to help me? The main thing I'm concerned about is the spelling or being really bad :shock:

Where you from

I think he need to learn how to sign ASL starting with fingerspell and learn about Deaf Culture in the ASL class before he can be involved into the Interpreting program in college. After he finished his ASL class, then he can be involved in the Deaf community.

If he really want to become an interpreting student in the Florida college if there is one for interpreting program. Most important is to talk with the counselor at the college about your plans to become interpreter. Good luck.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. :wave:

Back