Hello , I am new here and would like to make some friend and get some urgent advice

Ezdblue

Reaction score
Hi I am hard of hearing since childhood. Bilateral severe hearing loss, and getting my first hearing aids in years. And struggling with it : I find my audiologist abusive, patronising and unethical to say the least but she would not let me go, and refused to refund the money for my HA even though as brand new were not working within a week and after being repaired they were having the same issue at the audiologist office and I refused to take them, she imposed a new pair from a different brand and the domes are so painful, keep getting off my ears and I have to keep pushing them back in which is painful. I can’t decide on programs or features and despite me having an education she treats me like a 2 years old and talks about me in 3rd person

Sounds like you need a new audiologist. You can go to someone else. JS :)

Thanks for answering, I tried to leave and she won’t refund me the $3000 even though I did not have the HA even a week and they couldn’t repair them, and I returned them before the 30 days trial with no obligation.

She placed me the octicon minirite with open dome without stoppers that are so painful...

sounds like you got ripped off? Not sure what all goes into the 30-day trial? Did she said she will refund if 30-day trial is done? or what did she say exactly? SOrry so many questions.

So, my understanding is that I was able to try the HA for 30 days and if I didn’t like it I could return them, and / or try another brand . She would charge $500 on fees for testing and fitting and her time if I did not keep the HA.
She never showed me different options or anything she just told me that because of my Hearing loss I could only use such and such and $3000 bill ( which to me is a lot of money) . The HA were amazing and could stream to my phone, but within the week they started to have issues streaming, draining the battery both the rechargeable and the regular one and the HA disappeared from my phone ( so I couldn’t control the volume and other issues)

She said that she doesn’t disclose all the possibilities with the HA so people doesn’t ask for it and don’t turn her crazy...
she sent the HA to repair and came back the same they wouldn’t work and she blamed my phone but HA had issues with her assistant’s phone too , I found brand new Ha with issues from the beginning...
why should I keep something that went in for repair twice within 2 weeks?
She won’t return the money.
Perhaps after few weeks and after written request and so on ...

Unfortunately, i don’t know where of whom to trust , at Costco they gave me conflicting advice about the hearing aids , but I was advice against buying in Costco.

My audiologist is about 1h 1/2 drive on the highway . And I can’t keep on going back and forward. She wants me to keep on coming to her every 3 months ...

Really?, I thought that in the US it was never covered by insurance...

Really?, I thought that in the US it was never covered by insurance...
Not never. Just occasionally. You will have better luck with audiologists connected with medical clinics, especially if your hearing is bad enough to end up here.

Not never. Just occasionally. You will have better luck with audiologists connected with medical clinics, especially if your hearing is bad enough to end up here.

I had been told to avoid health clinics like Cleveland clinic as they would charge more.

My hearing loss is severe and the hearing aids that work for my hearing loss are usually the most expensive.... kind of $4000

Your insurance is more likely to cover HA's if you go to a health clinic. You will get better service through the health clinic because audiologists there are better qualified, especially for severe losses. Independent retailers are suitable for simple milder losses, like age-related hearing loss.

I would return the second pair, document everything, and take her to Small Claims Court. First inform her you intend to do this as well as register a complaint with her professional Association and with the Chamber of Commerce. She may choose to avoid the hassle and give you back your money.

Incidentally, my husband's job insurance paid for my last HAs in full.

Hello and welcome! Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your audiologist. I wish I could help more but I live in England. I have a profound loss and never did get any use out of hearing aids. I found sounds like hoover and a door shutting painfully loud and I was struggling to hear speech. So when I stopped being able to hear altogether I was not sorry at all.

Hello and welcome! Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your audiologist. I wish I could help more but I live in England. I have a profound loss and never did get any use out of hearing aids. I found sounds like hoover and a door shutting painfully loud and I was struggling to hear speech. So when I stopped being able to hear altogether I was not sorry at all.
I want to eventually move back to the uk ....

Your insurance is more likely to cover HA's if you go to a health clinic. You will get better service through the health clinic because audiologists there are better qualified, especially for severe losses. Independent retailers are suitable for simple milder losses, like age-related hearing loss.
Thank you for the information I will call my insurance tomorrow. The situation is in the Center for hearing and speech. They are a non profit organisation and I was told that they are well experienced, and provide other services to the deaf and HOH community.... Because they are non profit I was told that the hearing aids were at cost

Hi I am hard of hearing since childhood. Bilateral severe hearing loss, and getting my first hearing aids in years. And struggling with it : I find my audiologist abusive, patronising and unethical to say the least but she would not let me go, and refused to refund the money for my HA even though as brand new were not working within a week and after being repaired they were having the same issue at the audiologist office and I refused to take them, she imposed a new pair from a different brand and the domes are so painful, keep getting off my ears and I have to keep pushing them back in which is painful. I can’t decide on programs or features and despite me having an education she treats me like a 2 years old and talks about me in 3rd person
I’m super sorry but if you ever do get out of that situation, I recommend Phonak. That’s the HA brand I have and they’ve worked for me comfortablyfor seven years and counting. I have to change the batteries once every two weeks but I do have an older version. They cost between 1,000- 1,500 (depending on the version) but they were worth it. I have a friend who used to live in the UK and he likes his hearing aids a lot!

I had been told to avoid health clinics like Cleveland clinic as they would charge more.

My hearing loss is severe and the hearing aids that work for my hearing loss are usually the most expensive.... kind of $4000

Ohio insurances are not required to cover HA in any capacity. They do however have some companies that contribute towards it when you have a clinical diagnosis. Don’t avoid clinics. They teach and also like to help. Look for a college that has audiology major they usually have clinics in the school that are run by real audiologist but they have the students there learning so things are cheaper.

Back