Hello from New Mexico! New to alldeaf.com

S

stealingmay

Hi, I'm new here. I'm very interested in learning more about Deaf culture, and wasn't sure exactly where to start. I am hearing and have a good knowledge of ASL and fingerspelling... can communicate with sign fairly well, but I don't know much about the culture. I had only one deaf friend and he moved away a couple years ago. I'm mostly I'm just interested in making new friends and learning what I can. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Whoa, you are from Albuquerque, New Mexico. Wow, great! I have family living in Albuquerque and my sister with her husband live in Santa Fe, New Mexico. At the University of New Mexico (Albuquerque) there was a interpreting classes and I used to know Phyllis Fletcher as the founder and teacher of interpreters program. She was hearing but became deaf (late deafend). There were lots of Deaf people in Albuquerque. You probably won't have any problem finding them.

Just have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :) :wave:

I used to live in El Paso , TX, but am now in Iowa.

Welcome.

This brings memories, I attended NMSU for a year during an internship. :welcome:

That's wonderful!! I have actually taken classes at UNM! In fact, I have taken a couple from Phyllis... she is so nice and very knowledgable. It has been a couple of years since I took any ASL classes so I'm kind of out of the loop... just trying to get back in :) The interpreting program at UNM used to have a singed language club, but I can't seem to find any current info on what they're doing... I'll just have to keep looking I guess. :)

Very nice to meet all of you!! Thanks for your replies... I'm off to bed now! Goodnight. See you all around :)

That's wonderful!! I have actually taken classes at UNM! In fact, I have taken a couple from Phyllis... she is so nice and very knowledgable. It has been a couple of years since I took any ASL classes so I'm kind of out of the loop... just trying to get back in :) The interpreting program at UNM used to have a singed language club, but I can't seem to find any current info on what they're doing... I'll just have to keep looking I guess. :)

Check this out.
Source: Clubs & Organizations
ASL CLUB
Type: Academic/Social
Purpose: Promote the study of American Sign Language and awareness of Deaf culture through interaction with the local and larger deaf community and students of ASL and deaf culture from other colleges/universities.
Advisor: Carol Litherland (505) 426-2141
Department: Language & Culture

Check this out.

Rockdrummer, Thank you for giving out to stealingmay for that information. As a matter of fact, I have never heard of Highlands University which is new to me. I did not know it was there all these times. :hmm: I did not know it is located in Las Vegas, New Mexico. I went to visit Las Vegas for the Deaf retreat social chat for the weekend many years ago and it was suppose to be a small town. Wow. :cool2:

Back