Hello from Missouri

ellsworth252

Reaction score
Hey alldeaf.com users, I'm Twiggy a 23 y.o. hearing mother learning Sign Language on my own.
I am so happy, I have found some people to practice with on skype and it has been a lot of fun. If you want someone to practice with I'm all for it :D

Also I just ordered some more books and DVDs to continue my learing process. Practicing on skype has been a huge help, since I'm not in classes untill the fall.

Hi I see you are from missouri, I see we are a little far in distance but do you know anywhere people get together in missouri? I have heard of like... deaf dinners and weekend get togethers where deaf people and hearing people learninng to sign meet up but I can't remember where and I don't have the woman's phone number who told me about them anymore.

Just trying to finnd as many ways to expose myself to sign language and the deaf culture as much as I can.

Hi, Twiggy. I'm new also. I live in Missouri in the State Fair area. I am losing my hearing and learning ASL also. I've never used skype but if it helps you, it might be worth checking out. :)

Gypsy

Hi, Twiggy. I'm new also. I live in Missouri in the State Fair area. I am losing my hearing and learning ASL also. I've never used skype but if it helps you, it might be worth checking out. :)

Gypsy

I feel Skype is great for signing people. Anyone with a forward camera on their phone or a webcam can use it to chat with other people. It is a free download and also a great way to practice. If you do get an account you should add me and we could video chat :D ellsworth252

Thanks you guys, I am still learning how this site is set up and all. I have found 2 people to Skype with that has been fun. :) Trying to find people in my area. That is truning out to be a lot harder than I thought. Apparently Saint Louis/ Saint Charles isn't a good area to meet up with people :(

Hello from St Louis, MO. I come here very rarely. All I know you can meet up at Greater St Louis for the Deaf in Maryland Height, MO or St Louis Bell Club in Kirkwood, MO. We also have Deaf Inc for deaf service, too. You may PM me to get my attention here.

I am in Festus ( Formally from St. Louis City ) there is a Deaf meet in Arnold at a church there, cant remember if it was the first or second Friday of every month, they all bring food to share and have a movie night later in the evening. I have went a few times but didnt know enough sign to carry on a conversation and felt awkwards although I am practically deaf myself... Great people, and wanting to learn to be more fluent in ASL myself as I am still learning.

I am in Festus ( Formally from St. Louis City ) there is a Deaf meet in Arnold at a church there, cant remember if it was the first or second Friday of every month, they all bring food to share and have a movie night later in the evening. I have went a few times but didnt know enough sign to carry on a conversation and felt awkwards although I am practically deaf myself... Great people, and wanting to learn to be more fluent in ASL myself as I am still learning.
Are you still signing? Do you know if they still have that get together in Arnold? I would love to go. I wont know much sign but I figure the best way for me to learn is to dive right in. Maybe we could go on the same day so we can know at least one person there. Well kindof know :) If you are wanting to practice I would love someone to practice with. :)
Skype s/n: ellsworth252

It is still in Arnold but I havent been there in forever the people are ignorant there, it is held I think the second friday of every month.
I dont mind to go as I can introduce you to the lady that invited me ( from the college course I took ) her young daughter is deaf and she was learning more too, I myself just didnt feel welcomed there and just quit going.

It is still in Arnold but I havent been there in forever the people are ignorant there, it is held I think the second friday of every month.
I dont mind to go as I can introduce you to the lady that invited me ( from the college course I took ) her young daughter is deaf and she was learning more too, I myself just didnt feel welcomed there and just quit going.
Ok well ya I'd love to go... If you could tell me the name of the church I can look up the info on how to get there, times, etc

Hi there! I'm fairly new here too and a hearing mother to a deaf toddler :D I am trying to learn ASL myself, but not sure if I even know enough to bother with skype just yet, makes me nervous haha.

I'm not in MO, but I am in southern IL and go to St Louis Children's Hospital for all of Zoe's doctor appointments. We lived in Belleville, IL until just earlier this year.

Back