Hello from Michigan

RonJaxon

Reaction score
Hello. My name is Ron Jaxon. Well my last name is actually spelled "Jackson" but my stage name is spelled "Jaxon". I'm a magician.

I've been HOH all my life but it slowly decreased to deafness. I've been deaf for almost 15 years now. For some reason i went from profoundly HOH to deaf very quickly that year. I went from being able to talk on the phone (if they talked loud enough) to not being able to hear anything in about 6 months. I think it was because of ear infection. Right now I have no hearing in my right ear and very little in my left. If loud music is playing I'll hear the drums and maybe a little of the low base notes very faintly.

I also have tone deafness, scares tissue on the inner ear and nerve damage. For some reason only myself and my sister have and hearing issues (She's only HOH though).

I didn't grow up with any other deaf people and I've had very little experience being around other deaf people. Not nearly as much as I should have. I joined a group of deaf for a short time (called WMAD - West Michigan Association of the Deaf). I played on there bowling and soft ball teams for a while. But a new schedule prevented me from doing that for very long. I made some good friends there but I don't talk to them very often.

I don't know if I'll be able to explain this right or now but I'll give it a try. In many ways I never learned how to "be deaf". I'm thinking that if I would have been deaf sooner I probably would have gone to a school for the deaf to learn about some of the issues. But I didn't become deaf until I was a little older and past school. I know a little ASL but not much. When I spend time with other deaf I can communicate enough for small talk but I don't know enough to do more then that. This is one of the reasons I looked around on line and found this forum. I'm hoping that if I ask some questions someone here might be able to share a little advice or point me in the right direction.

On the outside I'm perfectly ok with it and in many ways I am. I mean I don't pout about it. In fact I even give lectures about it to kids such as in ASL classes. They'd invite me there. I'd perform a little show for them (I'm a magician) and then I'd talk about my experience at being deaf and let them ask questions about it. I've also been what they call a "mentor" at a summer camp for kids with "differences" (That's what I call it).

Sometimes things come up that are hard to handle though. Some frustrations and even some emotions. So I hope I'll be able to find out how to get help or advice with those things.

Anyway. I just wanted to introduce myself.

Ron Jaxon

Welcome to AD! This is a great forum to learn about different issues relating to deafness, ASL, and deaf culture. :)

Whichpart in mich re you from? I used to live in battle creek for 2 years.

btw.. welcome to ad and dont be afraid to post whatever s on your mind :)

:welcome: to all deaf and hope you feel warm welcoming here, and since your hearing downgrading, just hang in there and I know can be frustrating.

Welcome to AD and I am newcomer as well. I have HOH friend who is also a magician. He is in Clawson, MI.

I used to lived Berrien Springs, Eau Claire, Benton Harbor, Hartford, Coloma, Watervilet and Bangor (at Michigan) from 1973 to 1984 and then graduated from Berrien Springs High School in 1984 - Go Shamrocks!!!!! lol

Welcome! Isn't it funny how our stories can be so different and so similar at the same time? I was born with a hearing loss but it is slowly getting worse especially since high school. My Dad is almost totally def and his mom and dad both were the same way when they died. my moms mother was hoh as well but her dad her and my brother could hear a pin drop on the other end of the house. I would hate to have perfect hearing like my mom and brother did and to live with me and my dad always yelling and having the tv and radio wide open and all kinds of noises that must have drove them nuts that we didn't even know we were doing. anyway, welcome and I hope you find what your looking for in this wonderful site.:fingersx:

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! Nice and interesting introduction-- ;) . Hope you'll enjoy your stay here and perhaps share some of your magical moments too. Meanwhile, I think I'll just *poof* for now. :D

Enjoy your stay here--

:wave:
~RR

:giggle: at Roadrunner. RonJaxon, :welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Wow, we never have a deaf magician before. That is a new profession for us, so hope we can see you doing the magic thing. Enjoy typing away whatever you feel like discussing the topics here on our threads. :wave:

Back