Hello from HoH in greater Boston area

mcg907

Reaction score
Hello :wave:

Quick overview - born fully hearing. Head trauma at 1.5 years caused total deafness on one side and hearing loss on the other. Subsequent Meniere's and gradual high and low tone loss with tinnitus. Wear one hearing aid. Prefer text and email but can talk on the phone if I have to using adaptive equipment and creative guessing.

Mainstreamed. First learned ASL at age 18 from Deaf boyfriend. Left community to further education - no deaf contact for many years. Have been studying ASL again for 18 months. My receptive skills are better than expressive.

Largely pass as hearing due to my coping skills. Trying to connect with the larger Deaf Community in metro Boston. Practice with a terp friend and at meet ups or if/when I take classes at Deaf, Inc.

:wave:
If you haven't already, look for the "Boston Deaf Night Out" group on Facebook: regular meetings at restaurants in and out of town. Next event: December 14th at Jillian's near Fenway Park.

:wave:
If you haven't already, look for the "Boston Deaf Night Out" group on Facebook: regular meetings at restaurants in and out of town. Next event: December 14th at Jillian's near Fenway Park.

Thanks - I'm part of the ASL meetups. I'm not in the actual Boston area that often. If I get the job I hope to get (crossing fingers) I'll be working not far from Deaf Inc. so it will be easier to get to Deaf Night Out events. :)

Welcome! :) im also hoh, severe on right side and moderate on left from MA live in southern NH now. nice to see people from the area! :D

Welcome! :) im also hoh, severe on right side and moderate on left from MA live in southern NH now. nice to see people from the area! :D

Where in S. NH? Are you going to go to the meetup on Dec. 1 at the Mall in Salem? I live in the Andover area.

Dont go to many meetups, between work, yoga, and local friends i always find myself doing something lol. Which mall was it at, Rockingham? How was it? Nashua mall wasnt as crazy busy as i thought it would be, but i was working only until 3 so i probably missed the rush ;) lol

Back