Hello from Chicago!

:wave:HungryGhost and Snowball

I'm hoh.

my dad was born and raised in a Jewish neighborhood in Chicago and he has wonderful memories and stories to tell. I remember visiting there as a kid to see my father relatives and eating at the deli, and then also going to different places there when I was in high school and college.

As a child I wrote tons of little stories on index cards....probably should have kept them, just to look back....

I'm in the Midwest too, sitting here watching the snow come down...

hi helen

Hi hellen thanks for the mail you cvan give me your yahoo I'd messenger so that we chat better than this thanks

I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself. Um, yea, sooo I’m Helen and I'm clearly not used to introducing myself on forums like this haha.
For starters, I can hear.
Why am I here? Ok, so this is kind of a long story and I totally understand if you don’t read further; I am a fiction writer. I began writing a teen book about a year ago and what started out as something of little depth began to morph into something very meaningful to me personally. It is a story of silence, but not in the literal sense. My main character is deaf and it is written from his point of view. So naturally, I began researching the deaf community in my area and I connected with some really awesome girls who have a lot in common with myself. We chat all the time although I do not speak ASL, not well enough to actually say anything important, but I have been able to communicate with them through email. I am currently learning ASL but I am no where near the level of actually conversing yet. :/ My friends have really opened up to me about their issues with living in a “hearing world” and the oppression that comes with being deaf in this society. I wanted to find other groups that discussed these types of issues and this group was mentioned by one of my friends. So here I am! Nice to meet you all!!!

Helen[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I am just little confused since I don't know if one can be creative and work for the government at the same time (Gogol & others have wrote a lot on how depressing is for the artists to work for the government :) But, there's no money for writers (especially for disabled ones) and every job is welcomed nowadays... let's see if I will have luck with my applications :)

I would like to move all the time and do whatever jobs, since traveling and new people seem to be the greatest inspirations for writers, but nowadays moving is not easy for anyone, especially for disabled people.

Yes, working for the government does not sound too fun lol. But maybe witnessing all the corruptness in the system will inspire you to write something political, you never know. :P

But you're a published writer! So that means you're actually a bonafide author. you got this!
giphy.gif

Hi hellen thanks for the mail you cvan give me your yahoo I'd messenger so that we chat better than this thanks

I am new here and just wanted to introduce myself. Um, yea, sooo I’m Helen and I'm clearly not used to introducing myself on forums like this haha.
For starters, I can hear.
Why am I here? Ok, so this is kind of a long story and I totally understand if you don’t read further; I am a fiction writer. I began writing a teen book about a year ago and what started out as something of little depth began to morph into something very meaningful to me personally. It is a story of silence, but not in the literal sense. My main character is deaf and it is written from his point of view. So naturally, I began researching the deaf community in my area and I connected with some really awesome girls who have a lot in common with myself. We chat all the time although I do not speak ASL, not well enough to actually say anything important, but I have been able to communicate with them through email. I am currently learning ASL but I am no where near the level of actually conversing yet. :/ My friends have really opened up to me about their issues with living in a “hearing world” and the oppression that comes with being deaf in this society. I wanted to find other groups that discussed these types of issues and this group was mentioned by one of my friends. So here I am! Nice to meet you all!!!

Helen
[/QUOTE]

Hey! I actually don't have yahoo messenger :/

:wave:HungryGhost and Snowball

I'm hoh.

my dad was born and raised in a Jewish neighborhood in Chicago and he has wonderful memories and stories to tell. I remember visiting there as a kid to see my father relatives and eating at the deli, and then also going to different places there when I was in high school and college.

As a child I wrote tons of little stories on index cards....probably should have kept them, just to look back....

I'm in the Midwest too, sitting here watching the snow come down...

Hey there!

Yes Chicago has some really great neighborhoods. You can find a little piece of the world all over the city. :D You guys are making me want to stay! But it's just so cold here, gahhh. I feel like all I do is watch the snow fall and then I have to go shovel it again and again.

:D
so far as snow - snow yesterday, snow today.....but it's Midwest winter:lol:

yes I love the variety in Chicago!

authentic, in S.F., reminds me how much I love that place too. My aunt and uncle on my mom's side have lived in Central and Northern CA and we visited them some times, we went to S.F. and many places there - San Fran was awesome.

oh, I found this from Gally on deaf characters/literature: http://libguides.gallaudet.edu/content.php?pid=57898&sid=423919

Which areas of Chicago do you have to dodge gunfire? I'm planning a trip which includes a game at Wrigley field. :D

Hello, it's nice to see another Chicago person here. I basically live on border line of Evanston and Rogers Park which is an area of Chicago. I've dodged all those bullets or else I wouldn't be here.

Wait, what? did someone say Wrigley Field? Can you feel it? Can you feel what I feel?

Go, Cubs, Go!
Go, Cubs, Go!
Hey, Chicago, what do you say?
The Cubs are gonna win today
Go, Cubs, Go!
Go, Cubs, Go!

:cheers:

Oh, geez where are my manners?

Hello, Helen and welcome to AD!

Wait, what? did someone say Wrigley Field? Can you feel it? Can you feel what I feel?

Go, Cubs, Go!
Go, Cubs, Go!
Hey, Chicago, what do you say?
The Cubs are gonna win today
Go, Cubs, Go!
Go, Cubs, Go!

:cheers:

How does a guy get rooftop seats?:D

HI I am from the area but wondering if you went to any deaf events as there are a lot of them

Back