Hello from Australia - Auslan

Rebekkah

Reaction score
Hey everyone!! I am a young girl who is studying for my Cert 2 in Auslan. I am looking for some people , deaf or hearing who use Auslan so i can make friends and practice my growing skills with. I dont know anyone who is deaf (besides my teacher) who i can talk to and practice with out side of the classroom. So come and have a chat :)

cooltext119704021693060_zpsbtttmwvj.gif

welcome to alldeaf! I am a fellow australian and one of the well known member around here. I am pretty sure they would refer me and the others if they come across another australian. What brings you to learn auslan?

welcome to alldeaf! I am a fellow australian and one of the well known member around here. I am pretty sure they would refer me and the others if they come across another australian. What brings you to learn auslan?
Hey :)

I was doing a tafe course 2 years ago with people of all ages. we got a new student and she was my age and deaf. I thought it was wonderful to have someone in my call that was my age. I started to learn Ausln so i could communicate with her. Half way though the course I had to pull out, work was getting in to the of my tafe days. Work had to come first. So now i have gone back to study Auslan because ever since then i have loved it. My friend and i fell out of contact since she returned to her country of birth. I dont know anyone now who uses Auslan or who is deaf that uses it. So far i have only learnt basic Auslan and i struggle to read back finger spelling, but have heard that is very difficult anyways. So i am keen to meet some people on here and maybe even exchange skype details so i can practice signing and reading signs :)

Whereabouts you from, I wonder? And it may be difficult but it won't be difficult if you practice and practice, use a mirror for one to start with, heh

Whereabouts you from, I wonder? And it may be difficult but it won't be difficult if you practice and practice, use a mirror for one to start with, heh

Im from NSW. I dont know if a mirror would help... lol.. i need to be able to learn signs and be ablw to read back finger spelling... i would already know what i was going to.. or am sayin.... lol

Im from NSW. I dont know if a mirror would help... lol.. i need to be able to learn signs and be ablw to read back finger spelling... i would already know what i was going to.. or am sayin.... lol

Where in NSW? If you don't want to say it in here, you can inbox me, plus do your area have a deaf community that you could go to, where you could practice your auslan?

Where in NSW? If you don't want to say it in here, you can inbox me, plus do your area have a deaf community that you could go to, where you could practice your auslan?

I think there is one in Newcastle... but thats about 2 hours away.

That would be helpful too, but still hopeful for a skype friends... that way i can practice at home... its easier too :)

I am in the US so, of course, it is ASL but this should apply to any sign language.

I did find a mirror helpful but the week I did the best on a quiz was when a friend took the book and gave me the words in random order. Not knowing what was coming seemed to help fix them in my mind. She was not taking the course and did not sign at all otherwise. The illustrations in the textbook were enough for that limited use.

That experience was while taking a beginning course a couple of different times quite a number of years ago. But I have forgotten most of it because I did not make the kind of contacts to continue using it.

I am in the US so, of course, it is ASL but this should apply to any sign language.

I did find a mirror helpful but the week I did the best on a quiz was when a friend took the book and gave me the words in random order. Not knowing what was coming seemed to help fix them in my mind. She was not taking the course and did not sign at all otherwise. The illustrations in the textbook were enough for that limited use.

That experience was while taking a beginning course a couple of different times quite a number of years ago. But I have forgotten most of it because I did not make the kind of contacts to continue using it.

Oh okay.. that spunds good.

I am trying to find someone who i can engage in conversation with. So i can use what i know and pick up more signs... i dont want to sign to a mirror all the time.. it would be like im.talking to myself...

Maybe my partner can help with the reading out the signs

I'm in Perth. I'm HoH, have APD and am autistic. My hearing loss increases each time I get a hearing test and I am trying to learn Auslan and looking for anyone to practise with either in person or via Skype.

I'm in Perth. I'm HoH, have APD and am autistic. My hearing loss increases each time I get a hearing test and I am trying to learn Auslan and looking for anyone to practise with either in person or via Skype.

Hey!!
I dont live near Perth... but i do have skype. I do understand that some signs may differ depending on the state.... but i think there are only a few....

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm in Perth.
I'm a huge nerd.
Feel free to say hi!
Also to everyone else... HI!

Back