SofiaHelena

Reaction score
I just found this page and i am so glad! I am hearing and i have been teaching myself ASL for about half a year now (i haven't been extremely active since i'm in the last year of my college studies and studying ASL on the side).

I have always loved learning new languages, and i am good at it too! ASL has been more of a challenge since it also includes muscle memory. I find ASL so incredibly beautiful and i want to be able to communicate with more people!

I am from Finland, Northern Europe, and there is not a huge deaf community here and learning Finnish sign language isn't easy because of the lack of courses. I loved the american deaf community and ASL, so i decided that is what i want to learn! I also want to pursue a career in acting anywhere but Finland, so ASL might actually come in handy for me if i happen to move to the US some day :)

The reason my ASL skills are so poor even though i've tried studying for a while is that i don't have anyone to talk to. I can't use ASL practically in real life and my reading of finger spelling is also not getting much better. My grammar is also kinda off so i've been doing mostly PSE. Is there anyone here who would be interested in helping me out? It can be a bit frustrating as i am still a beginner but i'm a fast learner and very eager to learn!

Welcome, SofiaHelena.
Muscle memory. I like that.

Welcome! I used to live in St. Petersburg, not far from you.

I just found this page and i am so glad! I am hearing and i have been teaching myself ASL for about half a year now (i haven't been extremely active since i'm in the last year of my college studies and studying ASL on the side).

I have always loved learning new languages, and i am good at it too! ASL has been more of a challenge since it also includes muscle memory. I find ASL so incredibly beautiful and i want to be able to communicate with more people!

I am from Finland, Northern Europe, and there is not a huge deaf community here and learning Finnish sign language isn't easy because of the lack of courses. I loved the american deaf community and ASL, so i decided that is what i want to learn! I also want to pursue a career in acting anywhere but Finland, so ASL might actually come in handy for me if i happen to move to the US some day :)

The reason my ASL skills are so poor even though i've tried studying for a while is that i don't have anyone to talk to. I can't use ASL practically in real life and my reading of finger spelling is also not getting much better. My grammar is also kinda off so i've been doing mostly PSE. Is there anyone here who would be interested in helping me out? It can be a bit frustrating as i am still a beginner but i'm a fast learner and very eager to learn!

I've mostly been learning PSE for a few months because my ASL grammar so far is terrible. I haven't had that much practice either.

Back