Hello everyone!

Chantel11

Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Rachel and I am wanting to become less ignorant about what it means to be deaf/hoh. If anyone can offer advice about a current situation I need help with, I would be greatly appreciative.

One of my coworkers is deaf and I see work is becoming more difficult with the use of masks as she can no longer lip read. She will always "go with the flow" and doesn't want to be a "burden" so she continues to carry more of a workload because it is hard for her to communicate. She has also started speaking over the walkie even though I know she hates it and cannot hear the responds. I have done research to look for some kind of TTY device that could help but haven't found any.

If anyone can offer advice on
1) Is there a device or system that helps with walkie communication?
2) What are some of the problems faced within the workplace in the hearing community?

Thank you for all your help. It is truly appreciated :)

This would be a great immediate partial/or longterm solution. There are masks that can be bought that have vinyl see-through around the mouth. Shop for some online. Amazon has a few (I tried them, they are cheap and useless) don't waste money on those cheap versions but do some searching. If you can get a few employees to begin using those that would be great for your coworker. In fact, I will do some searching myself for quality and not expensive. If I find something I will definitely get back to you.

This would be a great immediate partial/or longterm solution. There are masks that can be bought that have vinyl see-through around the mouth. Shop for some online. Amazon has a few (I tried them, they are cheap and useless) don't waste money on those cheap versions but do some searching. If you can get a few employees to begin using those that would be great for your coworker. In fact, I will do some searching myself for quality and not expensive. If I find something I will definitely get back to you.
Thank you I appreciate it! We have tried one vinyl mask from amazon. It fogged up a little bit, but I will keep searching. Again, thank you I appreciate it :)

Back