Hello everyone

iGotHoney

Reaction score
I am 19 and currently going to college to become an elementary school teacher but earning my certificate in sign language so I can teach for deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing students! Not many schools offer this but it’s perfect for me! I’m curious to see if I can make friends on here so I can maybe FaceTime and communicate to help me better my ASL. I’m a very bright, bubbly, silly person and a bit shy but mostly out going. You can reach me through here or any of my social media’s!
Instagram: ambssy_
Twitter: @lillatinaqueen
Snapchat: ambziee90

Hi! I’m Sarah. I’m 18 and in college, and I’m hard of hearing. My hearing has been getting worse and worse. I’ve been signing for years, and I would love to befriend you and teach you more ASL! :))

Hi. What a fantastic career choice. Have you considered teaching lip reading? I thought about learning sign language but decided that unless I was around people that could also sign then it might not benefit me. Lip reading however would be something of great use and maybe people might even be unaware of my hearing troubles if I could do it well. I find myself trying but I would love to learn it properly. I wish you every bit of success in your chosen field.

Hi. What a fantastic career choice. Have you considered teaching lip reading? I thought about learning sign language but decided that unless I was around people that could also sign then it might not benefit me. Lip reading however would be something of great use and maybe people might even be unaware of my hearing troubles if I could do it well. I find myself trying but I would love to learn it properly. I wish you every bit of success in your chosen field.
Jamman, Lip reading is extremely difficult. Most lip readers only pickup about 80% of the words spoken and are left to decipher what is being said from context. Try it yourself. Turn down the volume on your TV while watching the news and see if you can follow along. Now imagine you are trying to lipread someone with a beard or that does not annunciate or is not facing you exactly. Or imagine keeping up in a conversation with many people.

Hi recently I've been very interested in learning ASL or other sign language and I'm also very keen to get to know people from this community. How can I do that properly?

You make a really good point DOD. Its hard to know what to do for the best. I'd love to learn to sign but no one around me knows it. I cant expect them to learn it aswell

You make a really good point DOD. Its hard to know what to do for the best. I'd love to learn to sign but no one around me knows it. I cant expect them to learn it aswell
Communicating with people that are deaf should not be what is convenient for hearing people. It should be what is natural for deaf people which is visual conceptual language aka ASL. As far as I know, ASL is the only visual conceptual communication method that meets linguistic criteria.

Yes but my point is, no one knows sign language. It would be like learning Japanese. Great thing to know but who speaks it. Apart from the obvious of course but you get my point. If I walk into work knowing ASL no person could communicate with me because they don't know how

I have heard for eons that the best lip readers get somewhere around 35% comprehension......

Lip reading? Ya right, if if then maybe, people think I lip read because I have to see your face to understand what you're saying, if I had no sound at all or no context ain't gonna happen, I call it lip filling in, Tousi correct for a 5 year trained, experienced person, so no one around me knows sign, that hasn't stopped me from learning, now my favorite checker at the store, because I try to simcom with her is starting to pick up a few things, you can't share what you don't know, and on a few occasions I've come across signers, it's all ways a thrill, once on a bus I was able to help bus driver gave instructions one couple paid no attention driver was getting perturbed about them I noticed they were signing when they got on so I stepped in and informed them could have been a bad situation of misunderstanding all the way around, so Jamman why learn math if no one at work understand it or Japanese for that mater, what does that have to do with you, I didn't learn ASL because I could use it I learned because I needed to, and when I get to the point when I'm in the hospital and lip filling in ain't working for me I can ask for an interpreter :)-

"And maybe people might not even be aware of my hearing troubles" humm could this be the real reason, hiding ones challenges ain't a good thing and it's dishonest if I'm working with one with limitations and I don't know bad outcomes will happen, just how catastrophic depends, if I'm dyslexic and a banker humm or need to enter a code to defuse a bomb you picked a bad time to tell me, I've seen this happen, expectations based on perpused obfuscation can only cover so long before found, you tell me to cut the green wire and don't know I'm colour blind, ok how's that end :!

Yes but my point is, no one knows sign language. It would be like learning Japanese. Great thing to know but who speaks it. Apart from the obvious of course but you get my point. If I walk into work knowing ASL no person could communicate with me because they don't know how
My point is that not many deaf people lipread for various reasons. It is not an effective way to communicate with the deaf. There are also many deaf people that never had language (IE. Born deaf). Remember it is not reasonable for hearing people to expect deaf people to communicate on the hearing persons terms. What is more reasonable is for hearing people to communicate with deaf people in a way that is effective. For most that would be sign language.

I get what your saying but almost everyone around me can hear. My natural father is very hard of hearing. My grandad was when he was alive but my hearing loss is relatively new so I do know what it was like to hear and I do know how life changing it is when you lose your hearing. I'm yet to learn why lip reading is ineffective? I understand reading someone with a beard wouldn't work. You say lip readers only get about 80%? That's a high number. You also say that it is not reasonable for hearing people to expect deaf people to communicate on the hearing persons terms. Sure but in the real world a lot of people don't understand or accommodate the deaf and why should they it's not their problem. You also say that what is more reasonable is for hearing people to communicate with deaf people in a way that is effective. For most that would be sign language. In an ideal world I would agree but unless a hearing person is surrounded by deaf people then why would they learn that. I wouldn't learn another language unless I intended to move to that country and I'd only learn it because it would benefit me, not them. So again here's my scenario, I walk into work knowing sign language but no one else does. Pointless unless my life revolves around coffee mornings for the deaf and I'm not ready for that yet but I will be honest with you. My wife is attending one of these coffee mornings on my behalf next week before I do. I hate to say this but I don't want to sit amongst a room full of deaf old people. I hope and it's a big hope that I might meet people of my own age or younger that I can relate to and I'm not afraid to say pardon or what a hundred times if they have to do the same. Then and only then might I find inspiration if someone tells me that that is ok. If I become surrounded by deaf people that sign then I'll learn it but you can't expect the world to learn something that doesn't benefit themselves because that's reality in the masses I'm afraid. I love this debate so please tell me something I don't know

Jamman? You know a second language, I had to take a second language in high school my mother discouraged me she said I could hardly pass my own language, but when I learned another language all that stuff they were trying to teach me suddenly started to make sense, self improvement is for self not others :)

I get what your saying but almost everyone around me can hear. My natural father is very hard of hearing. My grandad was when he was alive but my hearing loss is relatively new so I do know what it was like to hear and I do know how life changing it is when you lose your hearing. I'm yet to learn why lip reading is ineffective?
Turn on the news and then turn down the volume and see how much you can follow along. Also bear in mind you already have acquired language. Now imagine someone that hasn't.

I understand reading someone with a beard wouldn't work. You say lip readers only get about 80%? That's a high number. You also say that it is not reasonable for hearing people to expect deaf people to communicate on the hearing persons terms. Sure but in the real world a lot of people don't understand or accommodate the deaf and why should they it's not their problem. You also say that what is more reasonable is for hearing people to communicate with deaf people in a way that is effective. For most that would be sign language. In an ideal world I would agree but unless a hearing person is surrounded by deaf people then why would they learn that. I wouldn't learn another language unless I intended to move to that country and I'd only learn it because it would benefit me, not them. So again here's my scenario, I walk into work knowing sign language but no one else does. Pointless unless my life revolves around coffee mornings for the deaf and I'm not ready for that yet but I will be honest with you. My wife is attending one of these coffee mornings on my behalf next week before I do. I hate to say this but I don't want to sit amongst a room full of deaf old people. I hope and it's a big hope that I might meet people of my own age or younger that I can relate to and I'm not afraid to say pardon or what a hundred times if they have to do the same. Then and only then might I find inspiration if someone tells me that that is ok. If I become surrounded by deaf people that sign then I'll learn it but you can't expect the world to learn something that doesn't benefit themselves because that's reality in the masses I'm afraid. I love this debate so please tell me something I don't know

I am not trying to debate with you. My statement of 80% was based on my recollection of what another deaf person had said a while back. As it turns out that was overstated and the real number is about 30% which re-enforces the point about lip reading not being an effective way to communicate with deaf people. Research helps. https://www.bustle.com/articles/131...his-is-how-it-feels-to-depend-on-it-every-day

................ Have you considered teaching lip reading? ................. Lip reading however would be something of great use ............

Remember you are the one that chimed in about the OP teaching lip reading stating it would be of great use. I only responded in an attempt to inform you that lip reading for deaf people is not that effective. Most people that want to teach sign language are in it to serve the deaf community in some fashion. In my opinion the OP would better serve the deaf community by teaching sign language than teaching lip reading.

Peace!

This illustrates how lip reading can also be misinterpreted.

Fair play if lip reading is that difficult and 30% is far to low to be effective. It sounds like the best solution tho as if it was effective it could be used in almost any situation providing the person speaking to you faces you. I'm at this stage where I am relying on one powerful hearing aid and thankfully it does help. I lost all the hearing in the other ear overnight so my fear is complete loss of the remaining ear. I guess I need to prepare for that. Hats off to people that try and help ie learning a language for our benefit and maybe it would be wise for me to learn it to. It's not a solution but it would be a help. It is nice to voice an opinion on this site and to hear your thoughts so back at ya brother. Peace

All the best to you man. I would highly recommend learning sign language if you do lose your hearing completely. The fallback for you since you have already acquired language would be to write or text to communicate. I am not trying to discourage you from learning to lipread as it would be another tool in the communication toolbox for you.

There you go man keep as cool as you can face miles and miles of trials with smiles :)

Back