Hello, Everyone.

Double-U

Reaction score
Hi, all! I'm a hearing person who might/probably become deaf or HOH in the next few years. Since I have never met a deaf person, I thought I would make an effort to get to know a few. I have many questions. Maybe I could make a few new friends while I'm at it.

Currently, I am learning ASL - although at a very leisurely pace.

Hi, all! I'm a hearing person who might/probably become deaf or HOH in the next few years. Since I have never met a deaf person, I thought I would make an effort to get to know a few. I have many questions. Maybe I could make a few new friends while I'm at it.

Why do you think you might probably become deaf?

Why do you think you might probably become deaf?

AIED. I already have moderate/severe high frequency loss in my right ear. I've had attacks of sudden hearing loss in both ears, but the hearing in my left ear is still normal.

AIED. I already have moderate/severe high frequency loss in my right ear. I've had attacks of sudden hearing loss in both ears, but the hearing in my left ear is still normal.
Well yes, you will probably become deaf.

Good luck, and welcome to AllDeaf.

Welcome! You're being badass-ly proactive, and I think that's awesome. A lot of respect coming from me on that.

HI ! That great you're learning ASL , I was but when I moved back East I had no one to practice it with.

HI ! That great you're learning ASL , I was but when I moved back East I had no one to practice it with.

That's too bad, 'say. It's unfortunate, but I'll probably be in that same boat, myself. The first time in my life I saw someone using sign language was when I went to the House Clinic.

Some times I ask myself why so many late deafened people don't learn to sign. Then I'm reminded of the reality that most of us simply don't live in the vicinity of a Deaf community outpost.

That's too bad, 'say. It's unfortunate, but I'll probably be in that same boat, myself. The first time in my life I saw someone using sign language was when I went to the House Clinic.

Some times I ask myself why so many late deafened people don't learn to sign. Then I'm reminded of the reality that most of us simply don't live in the vicinity of a Deaf community outpost.
I was born hard of hearing and ASL wasn't taught when to deaf or hoh kids in in the 40's -50's in public schools in my town.

Hello! I am also a new member. I have a "nerve deafness " it progress as I get older. I am now HOH/deaf. I know very little ASL but I do lip read very well.

Hello! I am also a new member. I have a "nerve deafness " it progress as I get older. I am now HOH/deaf. I know very little ASL but I do lip read very well.

Hi, Marissa! I think we found the right place.

You already have me at a disadvantage. I'm not too good at either.

Back