Hello Deaf Friends! I need help with a school project

notreallydeaf

Reaction score
I'm not deaf, but I'm doing a project for business class that involves the deaf community. Sadly, I have no deaf friends to talk to about this. Our project is focused on video interpretation software. For example, if you were admitted into a hospital they are required to provide an interpreter, and rather than have a live interpreter they can link you via web cam or conference call to a live interpreter.

Most of the questions I have are:
-what difficulties do you have in every day life as a result of being deaf?
-is there anywhere you dread going because of the lack of communication abilities? like government agencies, hospitals, etc? do you have experience with video interpreting?
-are their activities you cant do?
-do you have any deaf friendly solutions that you've thought "why has no one invented this yet?"

Thanks so much!

Nathan

I'm not deaf, but I'm doing a project for business class that involves the deaf community. Sadly, I have no deaf friends to talk to about this. Our project is focused on video interpretation software. For example, if you were admitted into a hospital they are required to provide an interpreter, and rather than have a live interpreter they can link you via web cam or conference call to a live interpreter.

-is there anywhere you dread going because of the lack of communication abilities? like government agencies, hospitals, etc? do you have experience with video interpreting?
-do you have any deaf friendly solutions that you've thought "why has no one invented this yet?"

Thanks so much!

Nathan
Nathan: Good luck doing this. You're obviously going to get different perspectives on this.
-- Video interpreting experience is none. I use online videos to watch music (signed), learn signing, read interpreters at the rare political or singing event.
-- My problem with video interpreting in an environment such as a hospital would be the ability to really see the interpreter. As the population ages, people need to understand that (but likely won't).
-- My experience at a hospital @4 years ago was horrendous because they didn't understand how to understand a deaf person (who doesn't sound deaf). But that's not where you're going with your project.
-- But what problems do I have in everyday life is people don't understand my "world" is not the same as theirs. If someone's moving past me really quickly and yells, "Get out of the way," I don't hear them. Deaf people don't look deaf but blind people often look blind.
-- I don't answer the phone but see there's a cc phone on the market now that uses voice recognition software. This is my breakthrough. I'll be able to use the phone without having to hear people and be able to respond using voice.
-- I guess that's part of your answer. Using an interpreter with cc on a large-enough screen is that which could help me.

Thanks and good luck to you.

I am HoH, I wish people would understand yelling won't help me understand them better - speaking clearly and looking directly at me will

most stressful are doctors/ lab/other tests b/c it could be my life,
where I can't see their faces b/c obviously then I won't be able understand.

hmmm let me see.. almost any group activity with commands b/c I can not
understand command not given/explained directly to me, or involving watching videos without CC, or audiotapes, etc
theaters, movies w/o CC, even riding a bus is a roulette b/c if only there is no electronic display I won't know what the next station is
and quite often the display is screwed up anyway.

fro myself I wish at every office etc there would be mandatory tablet with pen so person like me could communicate by writting.

You would be surprised how often when I ask for pen and paper tellers scramble to find any - even at the bank!
9 times out of 10 nobody has any decent scrape of paper to write on!

Fuzzy

There is no way for me to know if the VROOM sound from a turbocharged engine came from a Ford Fairmont Hot Rod or a Mustang Shelby. How do I tell the difference? Everyone can brag that they heard a Mustang Shelby going by. On the other hand, I'm wondering if this was a Hot rodded Ford Focus or a Mustang. A lot of soul searching for me.

Thanks so much!

Nathan

You, my friend, have come to the right place.

People asking me lots of questions. It never ends

-is there anywhere you dread going because of the lack of communication abilities? like government

No. I like going to those places. I say what a lot and it seems to irritate them

do you have experience with video interpreting?

No

Juggle. I try but that skill eludes me.

-do you have any deaf friendly solutions that you've thought "why has no one invented this?

A mute button for students asking a lot of question would be nice.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
:wave:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Also his deafness has caused difficulty in understanding how to use colored fonts in posts.

Are you talking about VRI? Video Remote Interpreting? I use it often and it works for the most part but there are catches to it. Must be in a place where there's a good enough of an internet. This is a problem for me sometimes because I'm often out at job sites where nothing but a slab has been laid out... but the software is available and most VRS companies offer it.

Haha wow, thanks for the replies. some were definitely helpful, some were more... "entertaining." And also, that last gif of the honey boo boo lady will haunt my dreams for the next few months.

In reply to some of the comments we're working on several technological solutions to bridge the communication gap in locations where you life or the life of someone else could very well be on the line, mainly healthcare. unfortunetely I've signed a non-disclosure agreement so i can't get into more detail. but in reply to NitroHonda's comment: yes, im talking about Video Remote Interpreting (VRI) software.

so any insight into experiences with these technologies (good or bad) would help a lot.

Back