Hello all...

Berry: So does your daughter feel bad being an interpreter? I'm not sure why you would want to make it seem as if being an interpreter or wanting to be one is a bad thing. Last I checked there was a high demand for qualified ones.

I agree I don't know a lot about the deaf community, nor do I think I have acted as if I do.

What can I bring to the deaf community? I am here trying to meet nice people, I didn't realize I had to prove myself to you. I am a nice person, I am learning ASL, I joined this web site to get involved with the deaf community.

Why am I getting more judgment from you than anyone else? What do you bring?

I have not judged you. I told you this already but you do not believe me. I asked you a question which you avoided answering by going on the defensive. This is because you do not understand the question.

I was raised as a multi cultural outsider who became comfortable as a loner.

Through no fault of your own you have been raised to accept certain cultural values as innately true and unquestionable. Now you suddenly find yourself in a situation where they do not always apply. It is sort of like suddenly finding yourself in deep water and you don't know where a good solid foothold is.

I bring very little to the Deaf community except love of all things Deaf and a willingness to go out of my way for those I am friends with. On the other hand I take nothing from the Deaf community except the friendship of those who like me.

My daughter on the other hand earns her living as a terp and recognizes the debt she owes to those who taught her freely and welcomed her into their community. As a result over the past twenty odd years she has regularly logged in hours upon hours of volunteer work, adjusted her charge to what her clients could afford, and bartered with those who have skills but little money.

She has always sought to give to the Deaf community at least as good as she has received.

Here are a couple of articles about her on AD:

When she received her VRS

Speaks for itself.

Hi. My name is Berni. I am currently taking ASL 1 and considering changing my Education major to Interpreter. I have always wanted to learn sign language and finally gave it a shot.

Part of my class this semester is to communicate in the deaf community. I was curious to see if anyone is interested in meeting me over webcam? My signing is slow, I'm just learning so please don't be too harsh! =0)

I look forward to meeting people on here and getting more comfortable with my signing.

Thanks,

Berni
hello,
how you doing today,i think you are kool if so,i will like to get to know you more better ,so you can contact on KABBEY@YAHOO.COM,i will be looking way forward to your email and pls try to indicate you are from ALLDEAFSINGLES.COM.

hello,
how you doing today,i think you are kool if so,i will like to get to know you more better ,so you can contact on KABBEY@YAHOO.COM,i will be looking way forward to your email and pls try to indicate you are from ALLDEAFSINGLES.COM.

I don't think Berni is here to find a love interest. I believe she is here to try to work her way through the confusion of culture shock.

And this is not alldeafsingles. com.

It would appear you are in the wrong place.

Berry: What question have I avoided? I read the post about your daughter, you must be proud. You are right, I am not looking for love. Why do you think I'm am in cultural shock? So far i have done nothing but chat back and forth with people on this website, what difference does it make if someone is hearing or deaf when you are typing your conversation? I think you are just as defensive as me. You use your daughters accomplishments to boost yourself while, yes, criticizing me for being on this site. I can tell this conversation is never going to resolve itself bc neither of us are going to change our opinions.

Berry: What question have I avoided? I read the post about your daughter, you must be proud. You are right, I am not looking for love. Why do you think I'm am in cultural shock? So far i have done nothing but chat back and forth with people on this website, what difference does it make if someone is hearing or deaf when you are typing your conversation? I think you are just as defensive as me. You use your daughters accomplishments to boost yourself while, yes, criticizing me for being on this site. I can tell this conversation is never going to resolve itself bc neither of us are going to change our opinions.

Whoa, On the bold, just watch your attitude here. You will just have to learn where we are coming from. We are very happy with Berry and also having a daughter who happen to be an interpreter for any Deafies that need help us with ASL for communication in classes, churches, doctor's offices, courts or any where that we need the interpreters for help. I had my first interpreter at my wedding and it ran smoothly and I love it. So communication is number one for ASL. Whoo! Whoo! :D

Whoa, On the bold, just watch your attitude here. You will just have to learn where we are coming from. We are very happy with Berry and also having a daughter who happen to be an interpreter for any Deafies that need help us with ASL for communication in classes, churches, doctor's offices, courts or any where that we need the interpreters for help. I had my first interpreter at my wedding and it ran smoothly and I love it. So communication is number one for ASL. Whoo! Whoo! :D

:gpost:

Thanks "posts from hell" and "Nathan".

I haven't really figured this site out yet. I'm finding it hard to navigate or post pics. I expected people to be more friendly I guess. No one really replies to me, maybe because I'm hearing?

I don't think you gave them enough time to even reply.

But hi anyway.

And it is not just here. The number of people who take ASL one or two semesters and then quit: Some of them discover ASL is not as easy to learn as they thought. Others go in with the idea they are going to be good Samaritans and help the poor deaf folk, only to discover Deaf people see them as patronizing. Many men discover their tough macho exterior of non communicative self assurance just doesn't hold up when you are signing true ASL. Your facial expression is 60 to 90% of what you communicate. A few go in thinking it will be easy money -- But I don't think you can learn ASL really well unless you love it.

Think about it this way.

You say you want to become an interpreter. Someone who makes money because of the Deaf community, if not from the Deaf community themselves (Colleges, hospitals, and police may be required by law to provide interpreters under ADA but funeral homes and wedding pallors do not.)

And now you are asking Deaf people to help you achieve a living -- Off of them -- With no recompense to themselves.

Does that seem fair to you?

So tell us: What do you bring to the Deaf community?

Yep, they already make money off of me already... look at the cost of hearings and other technologies that would help the deaf. We are their money making machines.

Bottesini: "As well" meaning "also"

I was hoping you read the post too.

Still don't like me?

I appreciate the thumbs down, you know how to make a girl feel good ...:ty:

What's up with the chin scratching smiley face after the "As well"?

I can't help feeling that you want answers for your class but trying not to show it. But hey, if you are that desperate, do a search.

To my friends, thank you. You probably have no idea how good you make me feel.

To Berni:

I have a lot of things to do. My time is limited.

You can choose to believe one of two things about me:

You can choose to believe I am harassing you, in which case you can tell me to go away and I will.

Or:

You can choose to believe I am trying to get you to understand something important, in which case you can tell me to stay and I will.

Hi Lighthouse,

I am not currently taking a class, I am in between semesters so you would be wrong in assuming I'm trying to get answers for a class. I am trying to get to know people in the deaf community and practice my ASL.

Back