Hello all...

Welcome to AllDeaf!!:wave:

A lot of people were not available earlier today I guess to post a hello to you. Once you get to know us, you will have a better understanding of deaf culture. I am a late deafened adult and am still trying to find my way around in the real world. I am accepted here, but like Botti said, you need to have a thick skin around here just because we can get a little testy about certain subjects. Look around at different threads in different topics and you will see. We really are a decent bunch of folk around here.

Not bad, but if you stay, you will find how many first years ASL students ask us to do this. If we did, we wouldn't have time for any life of our own.

And it is not just here. The number of people who take ASL one or two semesters and then quit: Some of them discover ASL is not as easy to learn as they thought. Others go in with the idea they are going to be good Samaritans and help the poor deaf folk, only to discover Deaf people see them as patronizing. Many men discover their tough macho exterior of non communicative self assurance just doesn't hold up when you are signing true ASL. Your facial expression is 60 to 90% of what you communicate. A few go in thinking it will be easy money -- But I don't think you can learn ASL really well unless you love it.

Think about it this way.

You say you want to become an interpreter. Someone who makes money because of the Deaf community, if not from the Deaf community themselves (Colleges, hospitals, and police may be required by law to provide interpreters under ADA but funeral homes and wedding pallors do not.)

And now you are asking Deaf people to help you achieve a living -- Off of them -- With no recompense to themselves.

Does that seem fair to you?

So tell us: What do you bring to the Deaf community?

And it is not just here. The number of people who take ASL one or two semesters and then quit: Some of them discover ASL is not as easy to learn as they thought. Others go in with the idea they are going to be good Samaritans and help the poor deaf folk, only to discover Deaf people see them as patronizing. Many men discover their tough macho exterior of non communicative self assurance just doesn't hold up when you are signing true ASL. Your facial expression is 60 to 90% of what you communicate. A few go in thinking it will be easy money -- But I don't think you can learn ASL really well unless you love it.

Think about it this way.

You say you want to become an interpreter. Someone who makes money because of the Deaf community, if not from the Deaf community themselves (Colleges, hospitals, and police may be required by law to provide interpreters under ADA but funeral homes and wedding pallors do not.)

And now you are asking Deaf people to help you achieve a living -- Off of them -- With no recompense to themselves.

Thanks Berry. You said that very well. (I could almost see your face . ;) )

Think about it this way.

:gpost:

But I don't think you can learn ASL really well unless you love it.

I agree 100%. I started learning ASL in 2006..since then I've cried alot of tears, ripped out a substantial amount of hair and had endless self-doubt about whether or not I could continue on with it. If I didn't love it I would have dropped it within a year or so.

I think I've fallen in love with you.

Now I'll have to post a picture. Or a video on youtube.

You do ! I will be happy to see it. If youtube, I will become your subscriber. :)

Thanks Berry. I hope I can answer your questions and shine a light on my opinions as well. This is not directed at you personally, but simply because you asked.

I hope Bottesini reads as well.:hmm:

I am an education major considering changing to ASL Interpreter. I agree that learning ASL is not a walk in the park. If you look at things in a negative manor, yes it would look like interpreters are making money off people being deaf. But every job could be looked at that way. Doctors make money off the sick, military by killing people from other countries, cooks for charging hungry people.....but come on, it's not about that. Doctors treat the sick, military protects our country, and cooks provide delicious food, all at a cost...
I understand that the deaf community is judgmental about the hearing community and Interpreters but I don't think that's very fair. I don't judge you for being deaf. I don't pity you for being deaf. I look at people as individuals and form my opinions off individual people. I don't like putting people in a group because regardless of what people have in common, they too have differences. An Interpreter is there because of a language barrier for ASL, Spanish, French, or any other language. If there weren't hearing people willing to learn ASL wouldn't it make it hard for a deaf person in some situations? And do you think A Spanish Interpreter is shunned for help a spanish person translate English?
I'm not going to plea for forgiveness because I can hear but I don't appreciate being stereotyped because I can hear. I'm not looking for a metal of honor for "helping" a deaf person by becoming an interpreter. ASL is interesting to me and I would like to learn it, if I become fluent enough why shouldn't I put it to good use?
Oh and by the way...like I said Education is my major, if I became an Educational Interpreter the bucks wouldn't just be rolling in...check the pay on that. If any of you have children that may be hard of hearing or deaf wouldn't you like to know that their is someone in a public school that could help your child achieve the same goals as the other students?

Regardless of what anyone on hear views me because I'm hearing and trying to learn ASL, I will not judge deaf people as a whole, I'm not going to scurry away, and I'm not going to be intimidated or discouraged to do something I chose.:wave:

Hi Kristina B, nice to meet you. You homeschool I see. I have considered homeschooling my son because he doesn't give his all when it comes to school work.

I got your message in the PM (Private Message). In order to write in the PM you have to wait until you reach 50 posts. Some ADers might let their Avatars come into the PM which is okay, I think. For me, I got to wait for you to reach 50 posts. So hurry and get your posts up to 50. :lol:

By the way, thank you for making me feel that I am the generous welcomer in all the posts on introduction section. :lol: I do hope you can stay as long as you like to communicate with us, Deafies. :cool2:

We really need ASL for communication better than speech. That is the reason why we are deaf/hard of hearing. We are not using the ASL for fun like many hearing students do. Every hearing person have different thoughts on deafness and the ASL. :hmm:

Bottesini: "As well" meaning "also"

I was hoping you read the post too.

Still don't like me?

I appreciate the thumbs down, you know how to make a girl feel good ...:ty:

Bebonang: So the 50 posts is another rule I guess? But it doesn't block the message, it's just a known rule?

Ok, ok I submit to this one...

I look forward to many many more post, and maybe by then Bottesini will have a change of heart about me! :lol:

Bottesini: You WILL love me one day, everyone does!:giggle:

A few points:

I am hearing.

My daughter is an interpreter.

I am not judging you nor attacking you.

Your words reveal there are a lot of things you do not know or guess at. Specifically what Deaf Culture is and how it works.

With that in mind I'm going to ask you to go over this part of my post and think about it carefully. Then answer thoughtfully.

Think about it this way.

And now you are asking Deaf people to help you achieve a living -- Off of them -- With no recompense to themselves. (other professions do not ask their clientele to teach them their profession.)

You came here. You said no one would help you or tell you how to post pictures.

I told you how.

I asked if people strangers to you helped you more in the hearing world, if you asked them for favors.

You decided you hate me after I was the only one who helped you.

I don't understand most hearing people.

They mock me and hurt me often.

Last edited:
Where on Earth do you get the idea I hate you? I don't hate you, I don't even not like you! I haven't gotten to know much about you but what I do know is that you are feisty, that I like about you. I am under the impression you don't like me and think I am here just for a grade, and I'm not.

Maybe we got off on a bad start. I'm sorry if I have hurt you feelings in any way. :kiss:

Berry: So does your daughter feel bad being an interpreter? I'm not sure why you would want to make it seem as if being an interpreter or wanting to be one is a bad thing. Last I checked there was a high demand for qualified ones.

I agree I don't know a lot about the deaf community, nor do I think I have acted as if I do.

What can I bring to the deaf community? I am here trying to meet nice people, I didn't realize I had to prove myself to you. I am a nice person, I am learning ASL, I joined this web site to get involved with the deaf community.

Why am I getting more judgment from you than anyone else? What do you bring?

Where on Earth do you get the idea I hate you? I don't hate you, I don't even not like you! I haven't gotten to know much about you but what I do know is that you are feisty, that I like about you. I am under the impression you don't like me and think I am here just for a grade, and I'm not.

Maybe we got off on a bad start. I'm sorry if I have hurt you feelings in any way. :kiss:

It is ok.

Back