Hello all...

Berni Garth

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Berni. I am currently taking ASL 1 and considering changing my Education major to Interpreter. I have always wanted to learn sign language and finally gave it a shot.

Part of my class this semester is to communicate in the deaf community. I was curious to see if anyone is interested in meeting me over webcam? My signing is slow, I'm just learning so please don't be too harsh! =0)

I look forward to meeting people on here and getting more comfortable with my signing.

Thanks,

Berni

Thanks "posts from hell" and "Nathan".

I haven't really figured this site out yet. I'm finding it hard to navigate or post pics. I expected people to be more friendly I guess. No one really replies to me, maybe because I'm hearing?

I haven't really figured this site out yet. I'm finding it hard to navigate or post pics. I expected people to be more friendly I guess. No one really replies to me, maybe because I'm hearing?

:shrug:

Insert image is above where you write a post. It looks like a tiny painting.

Paste an url there to post a picture.

. I expected people to be more friendly I guess. No one really replies to me, maybe because I'm hearing?

In your real life, if you go up to hearing you don't know and ask for favors, are they more friendly to you. :confused:

To Bottesini: Actually yes. On Facebook or Myspace people always drop a line or introduce themselves. If I asked someone something on one of those sites tons of people would respond and show they know how to do it. I don't know if they are hearing or deaf but I get responses there. And as far as in person, I have never had a problem with a person I didn't know. I think I'm a nice person and I treat people the way I want to be treated so I usually get that in return. I don't know a lot about the deaf culture but I am not going to stereotype everyone deaf as not friendly. Maybe most people on this site have their guard up for some reason.
I hope in time I will meet many new friends.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Friendly or unfriendly, you need to be thick skin to be tough with us for discussing the topics on our deafness, Deaf Culture and ASL (our favorite sign language for the Deaf). Anyway, It depend on your attitude. So have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

To Bottesini: Actually yes. On Facebook or Myspace people always drop a line or introduce themselves. If I asked someone something on one of those sites tons of people would respond and show they know how to do it. I don't know if they are hearing or deaf but I get responses there. And as far as in person, I have never had a problem with a person I didn't know. I think I'm a nice person and I treat people the way I want to be treated so I usually get that in return. I don't know a lot about the deaf culture but I am not going to stereotype everyone deaf as not friendly. Maybe most people on this site have their guard up for some reason.
I hope in time I will meet many new friends.

I had a bad day so far, but I must politely direct you to the rules. Which you broke in your very first post.

http://www.alldeaf.com/introduce-yo...iews-questions-surveys-please-read-first.html

I'm both hearing and tolerated around these parts. :P Dont' take it personally. ;)

Thanks "Society's Child" I'll try not to...

Bottesini: Thanks for your response but see I did read that first. And I am not wanting to ask you or anyone else what it's like to be deaf, etc. I am simply wanting to have a conversation with someone deaf in ASL. Well, attempt to anyway because my ASL is not that great, I'm slow. But my point is, I'm not trying to ask you all these random questions about being deaf, I just simply would like to get to know you. Where are you from? How old are you? Do you have children? And so on... I am trying to improve my signing, not interrogate you for being deaf. I'm sorry if you judged me in that way.

Is that so bad?

Thanks "Society's Child" I'll try not to...

Bottesini: Thanks for your response but see I did read that first. And I am not wanting to ask you or anyone else what it's like to be deaf, etc. I am simply wanting to have a conversation with someone deaf in ASL. Well, attempt to anyway because my ASL is not that great, I'm slow. But my point is, I'm not trying to ask you all these random questions about being deaf, I just simply would like to get to know you. Where are you from? How old are you? Do you have children? And so on... I am trying to improve my signing, not interrogate you for being deaf. I'm sorry if you judged me in that way.

Is that so bad?

Not bad, but if you stay, you will find how many first years ASL students ask us to do this. If we did, we wouldn't have time for any life of our own.

And Society's Child is more than tolerated,, because she has good manners and thinks of us as people first, deaf second. She is popular.

O.K. Bottesini, you don't have time to help me or chat with me...that's fine. I hope you have a wonderful holiday and see ya around.:wave:

O.K. Bottesini, you don't have time to help me or chat with me...that's fine. I hope you have a wonderful holiday and see ya around.:wave:

That is very gracious of you. My humble thanks is extended.

Back