Hello all from Colorado!

CougarKat

Reaction score
I signed up on this forum a long time ago... In 2009, A month after I got my bilateral CIs. I'm 23, engaged with 2 boys, I'm the only deaf one. I speak well, and sign. I currently live in Colorado, I started becoming deaf at the age of 2.5 years and it slowly progressed until I was 14, when I turned 14-18 years I lost big decimals of hearing until I was 92% deaf. I love to hear, so that influnced my decision to get the CI, both at the same time. I was raised mainstream my whole life. No one in my family is deaf, and none of them either learned sign. My parents tried to raise me as "hearing" Oral speaking only, they frowned on sign language and me being who I am.

Figured that would sum it all up, as a short introduction. I'd love to get to know other people. I don't have any deaf friends here because there wasn't a lot of HOH or deaf students when I grew up going to schools I did, I was majoritly mainstreamed. Hopefully the high school drama has been left behind here!

Btw. I'm Jennifer. Feel free to chat!

Welcome! Are you near Boulder? Are you near Colarado Springs? Both have Deaf Schools....and Boulder has a Dhh Happy Hour run by our very own Posts from Hell!
There's also Aspen Camp School for the Deaf and Hoh.....they have an ASL bootcamp, which I am going to go to in April...also have a Dhh Women's Snowshoe retreat too!

Welcome! Are you near Boulder? Are you near Colarado Springs? Both have Deaf Schools....and Boulder has a Dhh Happy Hour run by our very own Posts from Hell!
There's also Aspen Camp School for the Deaf and Hoh.....they have an ASL bootcamp, which I am going to go to in April...also have a Dhh Women's Snowshoe retreat too!

Use to live close to em all... Just not growing up... Had too high of an IQ to attend any of the deaf schools... The only ones I could was the ones that had the deaf program in broomfield... I was mainstreamed and provided an interpenter, so I wasn't any different than anyone else, just a little visual aid help.

Never went to aspen camp school for the deaf and hoh, I know about it and heard about it (mom isn't a fan of sign language, and tried to raise me as if I was hearing with no problems) so anything that involved the deaf world, she was against.

Use to live close to em all... Just not growing up... Had too high of an IQ to attend any of the deaf schools... The only ones I could was the ones that had the deaf program in broomfield... I was mainstreamed and provided an interpenter, so I wasn't any different than anyone else, just a little visual aid help.

Never went to aspen camp school for the deaf and hoh, I know about it and heard about it (mom isn't a fan of sign language, and tried to raise me as if I was hearing with no problems) so anything that involved the deaf world, she was against.

Welcome.

And just to let you know: "Too high of an IQ to attend the deaf school" - I don't know who told you that.. but thats completely false. :) (I dont want to get in an argument about this in an intro thread, but we can discuss this somewhere else.)

The womens snowshoeing thing is in a couple of weeks at Aspen Camp. It's a fun thing for all women, i hear rave reviews about it.

glad to see you on the board.

Hello. Plenty of drama to be had depending on what you say here. I bet you may find some. :shock:

Hello. Plenty of drama to be had depending on what you say here. I bet you may find some. :shock:

I'm thinking she was joking to poke a friend on the forum. Hoping ... :)

Welcome cougarkat!

Welcome.

And just to let you know: "Too high of an IQ to attend the deaf school" - I don't know who told you that.. but thats completely false. :) (I dont want to get in an argument about this in an intro thread, but we can discuss this somewhere else.)

The womens snowshoeing thing is in a couple of weeks at Aspen Camp. It's a fun thing for all women, i hear rave reviews about it.

glad to see you on the board.

Going off admission declined papers from colorado school for the deaf and blind, they specifically stated that was the reason. Not starting anything, just explained why I didn't attend any of the deaf schools, other than schools that had deaf programs. :cool2:

Oh that sucks!!! ! When did you look into going to CSDB? Were you gifted? That's possible they thought it might not be the right place for you b/c you might have been bored. ...I mean the Deaf Schools aren't just for MR or "oral failures"
But the reason I mentioned Deaf Schools is that usually in the area there are lots of Deaf families and an active Deaf community.
yes, they have adult programs...so maybe sign up for one or two things to meet other dhh folks in real life. I know how it is......I grew up a solotiare myself...we also have a ton of other posters who grew up solotaire too! You are well met in friendship here! After I do ASL bootcamp, I'm gonna do the women's snowshoeing thing......sounds wicked fun!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. You are not the only one and I was the same like you except your family are different than mine. Both my parents want me to go to mainstream schools with no ASL interpreters (Oral-only deaf program), not even a notetakers back then. I did not learn how to sign until I graduated from high school. I learned to sign from a Deaf Lutheran pastor with sign language class. It really made my chest and shoulder feel a weight off and felt a whole lot better with visual sign language for communication.

So enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Going off admission declined papers from colorado school for the deaf and blind, they specifically stated that was the reason. Not starting anything, just explained why I didn't attend any of the deaf schools, other than schools that had deaf programs. :cool2:

Alright, I'll take care of that. That shouldnt happen ever again.

(Probably is in place because of me, too..)

Hopefully the high school drama has been left behind here!

Jennifer aka CougarKat,

Your story about growing up orally and your mother frowning if you sign.... it's pretty much similar to mine! :roll: Sad...

Funny I don't live far from you but I am an old lady (mid-40's) :giggle:

Question for Coloradoans....

Hello all:

Is there any public school in the metro area of Denver including the suburbs that provides deaf mainstreamed programs? If you know the websites for it, please provide them to me. I have heard of Rocky Mountain Deaf School and Colo School for the Deaf but am curious about the mainstreamed programs for the deaf.

Thanks! :type: bye!

Hello all:

Is there any public school in the metro area of Denver including the suburbs that provides deaf mainstreamed programs? If you know the websites for it, please provide them to me. I have heard of Rocky Mountain Deaf School and Colo School for the Deaf but am curious about the mainstreamed programs for the deaf.

Thanks! :type: bye!

Maybe we use different terms? But if a child is mainstreamed, it's not a program for the deaf, it's standard public or private school curriculum and services with individualized support/accommodations based on IEP or 504 plan -- so, any school. There are also self-contained programs for the deaf within public and private schools, but these are distinct from "mainstream" in that they have a customized curriculum and often teachers of the deaf or sped teachers. Again, though, this may be terminology that differs from region to region.

rocky mountain deaf is probably your closest bet. you can PM me if you want.

Back